Great Mage Deck, Cant Beat Paladin. Help?

I have a great mage deck, wins very often. When I play Paladins I lose every time. Any suggestions to help my deck in general, and of course to help against Paladins.

Deck:

1 Arcane Missles (2)
1 Mirror Image (1)
1 Mana Wyrm (2)
2 Frostbolt (2)
2 Blodmage Thalnos (1)
2 Kobold Geomancer (2)
2 Novice Engineer (2)
2 Sorcerer's Apprentice (1)
3 Arcane Intellect (2)
3 Dalaren Mage (1)
4 Cone of Cold (2)
4 Fireball (2)
4 Polymorph (2)
5 Azure Drake (2)
6 Blizzard (1)
7 Flamestrike (2)
7 Archmage Antonidas (1)
8 Pyroblast (1)
9 Alexstrsca (1)

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
Main thing I would do personally is trade out one of the flamestrikes for an ice block. Just an opinion, may be worth a shot. Having two is usually just a waste of a turn/draw/mana.
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
You're not going to beat a good Paladin almost ever unless you can exert board control. If you're relying on direct spell damage, you'll basically always lose to them because they can outheal your direct damage by leaps and bounds.
Reply Quote
01/04/2014 01:35 PMPosted by Sar
If you're relying on direct spell damage, you'll basically always lose to them because they can outheal your direct damage by leaps and bounds.

That's why you run Archmage Antonidas. You let them waste all their removals on your other minions and you finish it off by playing Antonidas... if it lives until next turn you win.

Regarding changes to be done to deck:

1 Arcane Missles (2)
I always felt like this card has too much RNG and so I do not run it. However, this is personal preference.

1 Mirror Image (1)
Personally I'd rather run 2x Mirror Image and 1x Arcane Missiles than other way around.

1 Mana Wyrm (2)
Great Card.

2 Frostbolt (2)
Great card.

2 Blodmage Thalnos (1)
As good as he is, I still do not run him. Reason is that it is not very often that I need to do that 1 extra damage to more than 1 minion on board (AoE wise) and so I can just ping them with hero power most of the time to finish.

2 Kobold Geomancer (2)
Would personally never run 2x Kobold simply because they are not worth it (explained above). They are also much worse than Bloodmage as they don't even trade their values most of the time with other creatures (Bloodmage returns value by drawing card).

2 Novice Engineer (2)
Great card.

Looks great, is not so great. However, it kinda fits your theme with all those cheap spells.

3 Arcane Intellect (2)
Not as great card tempo wise, but a great filler. Basically what this card does is simply getting you the card you need faster (all card draw does this, but this card was basically designed for that purpose as it draws 2 cards).

3 Dalaren Mage (1)
Would never run this card as it not only cost 3 (too high cost to combo it with other cards usually), but it also has a very bad stats - 1 4 which means it generally cannot kill anything to return value.

4 Cone of Cold (2)
Mixed feelings after nerf. Even before nerf this card was mediocre and worth running only in control/giant decks. I would definitely cut this card out of your deck if you run low cost spells and aggro themed deck.

4 Fireball (2)
Great card.

4 Polymorph (2)
Recently I've decided to run only 1x Poly. This is personal preference and changes quite often due to changes in current meta. However, there are not many stuff to poly at the moment. Stuff that stand out are control druid (AoW) and Earth Elemental from Shaman. Of course then there are legendaries like Rag which are a -get-rid-of-or-die- and so it is nice to have that poly. That being said, I found that when I ran 2 I had both of them in my hand too often for my liking (and often not even 1 was used in games).

5 Azure Drake (2)
Great card but not sure if it fits the theme of this deck.

6 Blizzard (1)
No reason not to run 2 of these.

7 Flamestrike (2)
Unlike Blizzard, I run only 1 Flamestrike for same reason as poly - I found that I had 2 of them in my hand too often for my liking. Seeing 2 Blizzards in your hand is nice because you know you can basically stop them from attacking for 2 turns even if you dont kill all they have. Having 2 flamestrikes means you can clear their board twice... but can they really get 3-4 minions out after first flamestrike? Then there are other issues with your deck.

7 Archmage Antonidas (1)
Great card. I think this is one of the most underestimated legendaries in game. That being said, it is rather difficult and skillful to use it properly. You want to play this card in slow decks (mostly). For instance I run a Giant/Control deck and so often when I go second I keep coin until very late (I rarely need to coin anything; sometimes I coin Frost Nova + Doomsayer combo turn 4 to kill like 5 murlocs from rush decks or something, but that is rare). With coin & Antonidas turn 10 you can get free Fireball and hit that Fireball to something on same turn for "free" (and create another fireball in the process). Similarly you can play frost nova/Ice Block/Counterspell + Antonidas turn 10 regardless of coin.

In any case, if Antonidas survives till next turn the game is usually over. Keep in mind that you should never use Antonidas before seeing some kind of removals from enemy. E.g. vs Druid after he uses Tinkmaster, Swipe, Starfall, 2 Wrath... you get the idea.

8 Pyroblast (1)
No reason not to run 2. People make mistake in thinking these cards cannot be used as removals. There is nothing wrong in using Pyro to get rid of AoW/Rag/Earth Elemental...

9 Alexstrsca (1)
Love this guy. Try running Ice blocks in your deck.
There are 2 general scenarios you want to use alex:
1) On enemy. If it is a Shaman or Rogue (these generally do not run any form of heals - neutral ones, that is) or Warlock (he, however, has heals to some extent).
All you need in order to kill these classes is Alex (puts HP to 15), Fireball (6 dmg and play Ice block in same turn is great if previous ones get popped when you played alex) and Pyro (10 dmg) to finish them. Vs other classes it is much rares to play Alex on them.

2) On yourself. I find doing this quite a bit more often. You should run 2x Ice block in your deck (unless it's a very aggro mage deck). When you have Ice Block up and are between 1 and 7 HP, use Alex. The closer to 1 HP the better. However, try to use Alex before enemy pops your Ice block. Rather use her 1 turn sooner even if you think he can't pop up your Ice Block yet. This is a hard decision (when to use her) and you can get better at it only through experience. However, if you do it properly, you can basically extend the game for 3 or even 4/5 more turns than the game should go on.

Cards you should consider:
Water Elemental instead of CoC.
Ice blocks instead of Dalaran Mage/Kobold
Sylv/Rag instead of Sorc Apprentice
Edited by emihir0 on 1/4/2014 2:40 PM PST
Reply Quote
Emihir0 I edited the deck, what you think of this list?

Deck:

1 Arcane Missles (1)
1 Mirror Image (2)
1 Mana Wyrm (2)
2 Frostbolt (2)
2 Blodmage Thalnos (1)
2 Kobold Geomancer (1)
2 Novice Engineer (2)
3 Arcane Intellect (2)
3 Ice Block (2)
4 Cone of Cold (1)
4 Fireball (2)
4 Polymorph (1)
4 Water Elemental (1)
5 Azure Drake (2)
6 Blizzard (2)
7 Flamestrike (1)
7 Archmage Antonidas (1)
8 Pyroblast (2)
9 Alexstrsca (1)

Also I have the 1600 dust, should i make rag to replace sorc apprenntice?
Edited by Blaze on 1/4/2014 4:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
Depends on what the Paladin is doing. If he's healing you're not well equipped to deal with is. He will out-heal your damage and you don't have enough or good enough minions to get board control. You're only hope is to rush him down early and "get there" before he draws healing and/or takes over the board.

Basically you're facing what everyone is telling all the complainers to do when they complain about mages: play paly. Paly is a counter-class if they're healing. So that's what's going on. You should be having similar troubles against any kind of healing, taunt based druid deck.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]