GK's Free Basic-Only Mage Deck (w/ video)

Hello aspiring mages! Blizzard's been sending out wave after wave of new player invites lately and open beta is fast approaching in just a few days! So it seems like the perfect time for a "how to build your first HearthStone Mage Deck!" post! This deck list is made up of the cards everybody gets for free, the basic Mage class cards of level 2 and under (level 2 is insanely easy to get!) and basic neutral commons. And because we're limiting our choices to free cards only, this is a deck anyone can build and enjoy without spending a single dime on the game.

The overall goal of this deck is to establish board control with efficient, high-value minions and some very effective mage removal. This isn’t an aggro deck, or a control deck, exactly – it’s more of a mid-range deck that does a good job of building a strong board presence while gaining card advantage though high-value cards, strong trades, and use of your Mage hero power, Fireblast.

Here's the decklist itself:

--GK's 100% Free Mage Deck--
Arcane Explosion x2
Frostbolt x2
Acidic Swamp Ooze x2
Kobold Geomancer x2
Novice Engineer x2
Arcane Intellect x2
Shattered Sun Cleric x2
Wolfrider x2
Fireball x2
Polymorph x2
Chillwind Yeti x2
Gnomish Inventor x2
Sen'jin Shieldmasta x2
Gurubashi Berserker x2
Boulderfist Ogre x2

I've also posted a video over at youtube.com/2pPressStartVideos where you can listen to me talk about which cards I chose for the deck and why, with a tip here and there on how to get the most out of 'em! You can catch the video right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vwGRMI9Foc

We hope you enjoy the deck! If you give it a shot we'd love to hear how it worked, and we're happy to answer any questions you might have! Comments, suggestions, and feedback of any kind is welcome! Happy spellslinging!

-GiantKiller
2pPressStart.com
Reply Quote
This deck is amazing, thanks for sharing. I'm currently 13-1 with this deck and I've easily handled decks with rares, epics, legendaries, etc. The video was helpful! I recommend anybody wanting to try this deck out to go watch the vid.
Reply Quote
Thanks for sharing.
Reply Quote

Acidic Swamp Ooze x2
Novice Engineer x2
Shattered Sun Cleric x2
Wolfrider x2
Chillwind Yeti x2
Gnomish Inventor x2
Sen'jin Shieldmasta x2
Gurubashi Berserker x2
Boulderfist Ogre x2

This (maybe all but the wolfrider), are the skeleton of almost basic deck.

You only need to add spells or "board control" cards from other class and GG.

good to know ppl still playing basics
Edited by EuroTango on 4/28/2014 8:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]