Looking not to get rolled in ranked.

Look yeah, yeah I know how much people hate these threads so I'm just gonna ask for some general tips. I more happened into a Mage deck rather than built the cards and I'm toying around with a secret control deck. I've had success in casual play 9/10, that said I don't want to trash my rank with a deck thats going to get rolled. Any suggestions I'd appreciate.

2X on everything except Ice Block and Antonidas.

Minions
Mana Wyrm
Kirin Tor Mage
Ethereal Arcanist
Azure Drake
Archmage Antonidas

Spells
Frostbolt
Arcane Intellect
Counterspell
Ice Block
Mirror Entity
Spellbinder
Vaporize
Fireball
Polymorph
Flamestrike
Pyroblast

Oh and if your wondering what I beat.
Warlock 3/3
Rogue 3/4
Paladin 2/2
Warrior 1/1
Edited by Wallflower on 1/5/2014 7:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Hearthstone
My very basic recommendation would be to make your deck less secret-centric. In particular when it comes to secrets, more or less; running just a few of them is far more effective than running tons. For one thing, they tend to be somewhat situational, but beyond that, part of their effect is that it throws your opponent's game off until they can figure out what it is. As a result, like 2-3 secrets (not 2 of each, I mean like total) can throw your opponent off as they try to figure it out.

I'm personally a big fan of Water Elemental as well, as it has very high stats for its cost and can really disrupt weapon decks, but most people don't seem to run it.
Reply Quote
01/05/2014 07:43 AMPosted by Sar
My very basic recommendation would be to make your deck less secret-centric. In particular when it comes to secrets, more or less; running just a few of them is far more effective than running tons. For one thing, they tend to be somewhat situational, but beyond that, part of their effect is that it throws your opponent's game off until they can figure out what it is. As a result, like 2-3 secrets (not 2 of each, I mean like total) can throw your opponent off as they try to figure it out.

Aww, c'mon. "Secret-centric" decks are fun. You'd be surprised how often I get a 5/7 Spellbender from Blessing of Kings. To your point, the whole deck throws opponents off because they are expecting a more conventional mage deck.

If you're going to run Arcanists I think you need the "extra" secrets, otherwise he's going to be a 3/3 for 4 that you're waiting too long to play, plus I'd throw 2 Secretkeepers in there too.

I'm not saying I faceroll with secrets decks, I just like playing them to change things up from time to time.
Reply Quote
Well as far as secrets go I've cut down to one of each with the exception of counterspell it's far to useful, except against warriors. I'm gonna give Water Elementals a shot. My last game both of them got polymorphed, which I guess is a good sign. I'll give the secret keepers a shot as well and see how that turns out though I've got no idea how I'll fit them in atm.

Thanks for the help and I'm still open to suggestions.
Edited by Wallflower on 1/7/2014 8:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
Don't get me wrong, a secrets deck is tricky to play well, and you really have to know what secrets to play when based on who you are up against. By no means do I think I've mastered it. And it's probably a little more draw dependent than a conventional deck, at least in my experience.
Reply Quote
Control can either dominate or get dismantled. You have to weigh your options carefully I'm well aware of that. Also I've been playing a Hunter secret deck the past month or so, this isn't exactly a step up in difficulty I'm just beginning to wonder how I won so much as a Hunter without all these tools.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]