Beating Warlock Giants Decks

This deck is so horribly dependent on the early draw against so many aggro/midrange deck that you will be near death by turn 5-7 very very often. Sometimes you can still win at that point with the right cards and heals to keep you alive till turn 9 but alot of times that just doesn't happen.
Reply Quote
Warlock Giants are not some uber scary deck. Every class has the option to plop down a couple 0 cost 8/8s. Every class should to take down a late-game minions. Molten Giants are a dead card in your hand until you are close to death. There is a risk and reward with any big bad.

You are or rang 20 or just playing Giant Warlock by yourself. "Every class has the option to plop down a couple 0 cost 8/8s." Yes. But not every class can tap to dig on this 8/8 and all aggro makers (argus and e.t.c). "Every class should be prepared to take down a late-game minions". As a rogue for example I can be prepared for a late game units. Maybe for 2 or 3 8/8 even with taunt. But lol. I can't trade my units for giants cause all my 1-5 mana units are destroyed by drains soul fires and shadow bolts with hellfires. The point is that almost always warlock can just hold untill 15 or lower health with keeping the table clean. It's not ok. Cause from there begin's 9/9 giants with taunt 3/3's with heal and of course alextrasza jarax and stuff. And if it's not OP then why 90% of legendary playes right now are playing this decks
Edited by Kurusnow on 1/17/2014 2:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
This deck is so horribly dependent on the early draw against so many aggro/midrange deck that you will be near death by turn 5-7 very very often. Sometimes you can still win at that point with the right cards and heals to keep you alive till turn 9 but alot of times that just doesn't happen.

Alot of time is about 20-30 % right?
Reply Quote
01/17/2014 02:52 PMPosted by Kurusnow
Warlock Giants are not some uber scary deck. Every class has the option to plop down a couple 0 cost 8/8s. Every class should to take down a late-game minions. Molten Giants are a dead card in your hand until you are close to death. There is a risk and reward with any big bad.

You are or rang 20 or just playing Giant Warlock by yourself. "Every class has the option to plop down a couple 0 cost 8/8s." Yes. But not every class can tap to dig on this 8/8 and all aggro makers (argus and e.t.c). "Every class should be prepared to take down a late-game minions". As a rogue for example I can be prepared for a late game units. Maybe for 2 or 3 8/8 even with taunt. But lol. I can't trade my units for giants cause all my 1-5 mana units are destroyed by drains soul fires and shadow bolts with hellfires. The point is that almost always warlock can just hold untill 15 or lower health with keeping the table clean. It's not ok. Cause from there begin's 9/9 giants with taunt 3/3's with heal and of course alextrasza jarax and stuff. And if it's not OP then why 90% of legendary playes right now are playing this decks

Anything that spam the board with cheap minions does well against this especially if you use divine shield minions. Spells are very expensive unless you play an area of effect spell you can at best remove 1 minion per turn and take the damage of the others.
Reply Quote
01/17/2014 02:55 PMPosted by Kurusnow

Alot of time is about 20-30 % right?

More like 70% for me . I rarely get any of the draws that help me mitigate the damage early on.
Edited by Serp on 1/17/2014 2:58 PM PST
Reply Quote
I am not sure what happened between the patching and this weekend, but I finally could leave the 16-14 levels to approach the 10th-ish levels with my aggro/midrange rogue. And lo and behold! I started finding GCW's and getting owned.

However, I didn't feel it unbeatable. Part of the problem is that in this meta we might still find stray aggro warlocks, so aggro/midrange might switch to a controllish mindset when they should be going all-out against the warlock.

After the patch I decided to retire the poor novice engineers after they joined one-toughness-suckville and replaced them with meta calls (I was testing one faerie dragon and one fan of knives, assuming aggro). Perhaps big game hunters and silencing minions should be tested there? If I get any good results, I'll let you know.

EDIT: It seems like there aren't that many GCW's hovering around the level 10 mark, I've found a couple and they are pretty annoying. Silencers and Big Game Hunter would have been pretty useful -had they bothered to show up. I once kept a fantastic hand against GCW and got promptly plowed by murlocs :/

For now, it seems like the new craze is the hunter combo decks with release the hounds. It seems like if you only keep a couple decent creatures around and attack them you should be in fine shape. With hunter's mark, they have a shot (see what I did there?) against GCW.
Edited by Dragonmago on 1/18/2014 11:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
I beat them by playing with preast just building a bord killing his small minions until he is out of cards and spells and keeping 2 shadow word:death for the Mountain Giant you can heal him if you dont want to get to 20 hp then he can play 1 Molten Giant but that will not save him if you have a strong bord :)
Reply Quote
this is my favorite deck to play then taunt druid but that's it for now priest got boring and paladin tho i love tirion is a boring class to me the games just drags on with those guys. warlock giants you feel like your getting somewhere every step of the match maybe its because of the warlock hero power. also like zoo for the same reason.
Reply Quote
02/03/2015 01:12 PMPosted by Tsvetan96
I beat them by playing with preast just building a bord killing his small minions until he is out of cards and spells and keeping 2 shadow word:death for the Mountain Giant you can heal him if you dont want to get to 20 hp then he can play 1 Molten Giant but that will not save him if you have a strong bord :)

Then you must be playing against bad handlocks.
If you build up a strong board without hitting his face, he'll just have as many turns as he likes to draw into shadowflame and a giant and wipe your board and gain a massive advantage.
Shadow word:death his giants? Pray tell, what are you going to do against this 4/10 twilight drakes? what are you going to do when jaraxxus comes out?
It's not as simple as that.
They are beatable, but that's not how you do it.
Reply Quote
There are def counters but just the strengths of this deck make it strong vs all which imo should nvr ever be the case with a single deck in a balanced game...i dont want to heavily stack my deck with tons of control just to counter the possibility of getting placed against a warlock while he gets to play his cheap deck against everything and anything bc nothing can really stop that rush unless you get a perfect hand "which you probably will not get"
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]