Soooo Giants Warlock

How do you handle it?

rush doesn't work and I can't think of a class with enough removal for it.

And late game control loses to jaraxxus's 6/6s and/or superior card draw

Advice needed
Reply Quote
Jarax isn't that good. I play him in my casual warlock deck and out of the games I play him, I usually win roughly 50% of the time. If you have no removals late game and don't have any foothold on the board then you did something wrong because out of the games I lost, I either got my 2 mana 6/6 minions removed right away or had to face a last minute taunter which made the weapon and minion useless for a turn.

As for giants, their minimum cost needs to be changed, but overall are just as good as any other card in the fact that they need to be played at the exact right time and held in the hand to be of any use.
Reply Quote
Big Game Hunter. 2 of your class's removal cards. Faceless Manipulator + Defender of Argus or Sunfury Protector. Anything to delay it, like little taunts or Frost Elementals. Multiple spell cards - Wrath + Starfire, for example. Not very efficient, but eliminates his biggest threat if you have no other option.
Reply Quote
dont worry, with the warsong commander nerf, it wont be around much longer if im reading the nerf correctly.
Reply Quote
This is just stuff that springs to mind from playing against them, it may or may not be helpful to you:

-Nether Drakes only have 1hp when silenced

-Good tempo is key; keep decent minions on the board but always have more in your hand so the Warlock has to deal with a threat every round. Plan how you'll spend your mana next round, and remember you won't really be needing AoE sweeping so stuff like swipe/consecrate/blizzard can be used to assist in the removal of one or 2 big minions

-Ignore Ancient Watchers until they are given taunt by Sunfury Protector, then once that happens take them down with any of your softer removals + a minion. Remember that he can still Shadowflame them for 4 AoE damage, which is why you should never crowd the board.

-Save your hardest removals/big game hunters for Mountain Giants, as those can't really be prevented. Once the Warlock reaches ~18hp, Molten Giants need to be considered, so start planning your kill.

-Jaraxxus can't be used before Turn 9, and by that turn the Warlock should be dead or almost
dead. If he bails out with Jaraxxus... well, it's still only 15hp, and he's given away his whole turn. 6/6 Infernals don't have taunt, so use any charge/DD you might have left.

If he survives as Jarax for 2-3 turns then yeah, I would say that he's reached his winning condition.
Edited by Vanish on 1/14/2014 11:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
Played a game vs this yesterday with my shaman deck, went pretty well: http://www.hearthlog.com/u/user-318f9c51/1389724340/replay#72
Reply Quote
"Sarcastic mirror on the wall, are Molten Giants the fairest of them all?"
"Yeah bro, Molten Giants are totally fair."

(Don't tell Day9 I stole his joke.)
Edited by Corwin on 1/14/2014 11:21 PM PST
Reply Quote
Beat one today at the Rank 12 level as a priest. Shadow Word Death, Mind Control, Sylvanas, Faceless, Tinkmaster and Rag all required for a very close match. If you don't have legendaries then I'd swap in an extra SW:D, MC and Big Game Hunter.

Taunts to slow them down. Ideally I would have had nice board control by the time he popped Jaraxxus but I didn't have the cards and things slowed down. Won with 1hp left.

If this becomes the dominant meta I'll probably swap out some of my anti-rush AOE for Big Game Hunter.
Reply Quote
01/14/2014 11:00 PMPosted by Vanish

-Jaraxxus can't be used before Turn 9, and by that turn the Warlock should be dead or almost
dead. If he bails out with Jaraxxus... well, it's still only 15hp, and he's given away his whole turn. 6/6 Infernals don't have taunt, so use any charge/DD you might have left.

If he survives as Jarax for 2-3 turns then yeah, I would say that he's reached his winning condition.

Jarax can be used on turn 5 at the lowest since Summoning Portal affects him. Turn 3 use coin, put portal up, turn four put a portal.
Reply Quote
Wait for a week after the patch, and these decks will disappear.

These decks existed because they could do well against aggro/murloc warlock and against StrifeCro's druid deck. Any deck that didn't do well against these two decks couldn't be played because of the number of warlock decks on the ladder. This meant that you would never see decks like priest decks.

Now that the rush has been nerfed, you will see more control decks like priest decks, and I think any reasonable priest deck will hard counter these warlock giant decks. We will see silence used on the drakes and faceless/big game/shadow word: death used on the giants that come out early and mind control on the ones that come out late.
Reply Quote
01/14/2014 11:18 PMPosted by Sedith
Played a game vs this yesterday with my shaman deck, went pretty well: http://www.hearthlog.com/u/user-318f9c51/1389724340/replay#72

Not saying it's a bad play or anything (just different from what I would have done) but why did you copy his Alexstrasza with your Faceless Manipulator instead of copying your Ragnaros? At the end of your turn either both Rags hit the hero and you win, or one Rag hits him and one kills his Alex.
Reply Quote
01/15/2014 10:48 AMPosted by Rxone

Jarax can be used on turn 5 at the lowest since Summoning Portal affects him. Turn 3 use coin, put portal up, turn four put a portal.

Who the hell runs two Summoning Portal and how the hell do they stay alive for 2 turns.
Reply Quote
01/14/2014 10:57 PMPosted by Fyle
dont worry, with the warsong commander nerf, it wont be around much longer if im reading the nerf correctly.

Yeah, let me go now and remove Warsong commander from my warlock deck......oh, wait.....
Reply Quote
01/15/2014 11:01 AMPosted by Serp

Who the hell runs two Summoning Portal and how the hell do they stay alive for 2 turns.

I used to run two and you would be surprised how many idiots are out there who just think "Meh, I'll attack their hero since they can't attack back"

I only use one now but that's not the point, I did have times when I got him out on turn 5, then by turn 8 I could have the board full of 6/6s (Counting Dread Infernals).
Reply Quote
Its the best deck in new meta. No matter how you try to counter it you can barely get a 55/45 advantage, and doing so you totally destroy your chances vs other decks.

Want to be above 50% win rate ? Play Warlock Giant.
Reply Quote
play holy wrath giants paladin.. i mostly win vs warlock giants
Reply Quote
01/15/2014 11:07 AMPosted by Shin
Its the best deck in new meta. No matter how you try to counter it you can barely get a 55/45 advantage, and doing so you totally destroy your chances vs other decks.

Paladin and priest decks that couldn't beat the aggro/board control warlock decks will rise from the ashes due to the blood imp nerfs. These warlock giant decks won't be viable within a week.
Reply Quote
01/15/2014 11:58 AMPosted by Jayleb

Paladin and priest decks that couldn't beat the aggro/board control warlock decks will rise from the ashes due to the blood imp nerfs. These warlock giant decks won't be viable within a week.

Blood imp actually got a buff, a stealthed version of young priestess. Effectively by the end of turn two you can have a 1/6 voidwalker, or a 3/5 flame imp.

/Endrant
Reply Quote
01/15/2014 10:56 AMPosted by Jayleb
Wait for a week after the patch, and these decks will disappear.

These decks existed because they could do well against aggro/murloc warlock and against StrifeCro's druid deck. Any deck that didn't do well against these two decks couldn't be played because of the number of warlock decks on the ladder. This meant that you would never see decks like priest decks.

Now that the rush has been nerfed, you will see more control decks like priest decks, and I think any reasonable priest deck will hard counter these warlock giant decks. We will see silence used on the drakes and faceless/big game/shadow word: death used on the giants that come out early and mind control on the ones that come out late.

Fair enough. With so much big guys out there in the warlock decks. Priest seems like a good counter to it.
Dunno how in the late game Priest can survive against Jaraxxus. Maybe Mind Control and Deathwing would do the trick.
Some intelligent minds will find a way. I guess I will wait a while and save my dust until the new meta is evolving.
Reply Quote
Just dont bring a Warlock under 15 health, until you can burst him down.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]