The most frustrating part of Warlock being the most versatile class in the game...

Is I literally have no idea what starting hands to keep.

Warlock is the only class with a tier 1 aggro, midrange, and control deck. I keep a notebook with about 120 names as of now with people's names and what warlock they're playing. Not only is it a solid 50% of the ladder matches I have, but over 2/3's the games I play against another Warlock is a new name for the list.

Do I keep my BGH hand and get destroyed by aggro? Or should I keep my imps and get shadowflamed to death?

No other class in the game is like this, or even close. I feel the other classes should be brought in line in terms of versatility, but until that happens or until Warlock draw ability is nerfed (I think 3 life per card is reasonable, and I play Warlock about 95% of my games), we'll continue seeing warlock after warlock after warlock.

My list is getting rather large...
Edited by Cloak on 1/15/2014 4:59 PM PST
Reply Quote
no problem since after patch it will probably be only control lock ;).
Reply Quote
Yeah good point lol
Reply Quote
01/15/2014 05:02 PMPosted by Asura

Warlock aggro will still be totally viable and competitive after the patch as well.

The Blood Imp change isn't going to entirely kill the archetype by any stretch of the imagination. turns 1-5 will play out slightly different but it will still remain a powerhouse on the competitive scene.
Reply Quote
you even said it yourself, life tap is too strong for a single minion change to curb warlock aggro.

So your murlocs have 1 less hp. Thats still 4 hp in most cases with a permanent health buffer stealthed on the board. I could see people adding crazed alchemists to really abuse all the buffs too.
Reply Quote
I always mulligan assuming there playing agro. If there playing agro a strong opening hand is crucial but if there playing control you will have a few turns of breathing room to develop a weaker hand.
Reply Quote
01/15/2014 05:02 PMPosted by Asura

Uh..no. Blood imp is still a stronger version of Young Priestess, which by itself is already a good card.
Reply Quote
01/15/2014 05:26 PMPosted by Top8
I always mulligan assuming there playing agro. If there playing agro a strong opening hand is crucial but if there playing control you will have a few turns of breathing room to develop a weaker hand.

Yeah, I recognized this as the strategy to use, but throwing away a Big Game Hunter only to see your opponent pass first turn is enraging lol.
Reply Quote
01/15/2014 04:58 PMPosted by Cloak
until Warlock draw ability is nerfed (I think 3 life per card is reasonable,

There is no reason to make that change. A Warlock's Hero Power gets weaker as a game progresses, because at some point, they can no longer use it, due to putting themselves into kill range. Warlocks are simply meant to be good at aggro due to their Hero Power. It's basically "kill before you kill yourself".
Edited by Bosskiller on 1/15/2014 6:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/15/2014 06:15 PMPosted by Bosskiller
until Warlock draw ability is nerfed (I think 3 life per card is reasonable,

There is no reason to make that change. A Warlock's Hero Power gets weaker as a game progresses, because at some point, they can no longer use it, due to putting themselves into kill range. Warlocks are simply meant to be good at aggro due to their Hero Power. It's basically "kill before you kill yourself".

Just because you understand the intended philosophy behind the mechanic doesn't make it balanced. For instance, if it were "Pay 2 mana, 1 life: Draw a card", everything you said would still be applicable, and we can both agree that would be too broken.

So, this isn't an argument of understanding or philosophy. Warlocks are too good.
Reply Quote
01/15/2014 06:45 PMPosted by Cloak
Warlocks are too good

So good that they are not the highest winning percentage class in Constructed, and so good that they are not dominating tournies. So, in the end, it is simply an opinion that evidence denies.
Reply Quote
01/15/2014 06:51 PMPosted by Bosskiller
Warlocks are too good

So good that they are not the highest winning percentage class in Constructed, and so good that they are not dominating tournies. So, in the end, it is simply an opinion that evidence denies.

This.

/thread
Reply Quote
We're already paying out of our nose for literally everything we use.
Minions cost us not only mana, but often health or even cards. You up the costs even more, you can bury everything but rush, because nothing else will be feasible on him. The higher the costs, the more do we need to focus on ending a match fast.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]