Sacrificial Pact

At first glance, this card seemed to be particularly underwhelming. For the cost of 2 cards, I could recover 5 health.

After realizing that this card could be used on ENEMY Demons, I reconsidered my opinion and came to the conclusion that it was in most circumstances underwhelming, but when fighting other Locks a particularly effective hate card.

I am of the opinion that this card could use a revamp:

1. This card can only be used on friendly Demons

2. It will give armor equal to twice the health of the Demon that was Sacrificed
Reply Quote
This card isn't even good against enemy locks unless you encounter Jaraxxus. Anything but Imps and the Voidwalker barely get used and those are early game cards and also only 6 out of his 30 max ( 2 of which you can't hit because they're stealthed for most of the game )

To make this card useable it should be friendly MINION not Demon. The few Demons Warlocks run are either to valueable to sacrifice or in case of the Flame Imp Deal 3 damage to yourself meaning you effectively heal 2 .
Edited by Serp on 1/12/2014 1:18 PM PST
Reply Quote
What the card should really do is give all your demons deathrattle restore 4 health or something like that, that would actually make most of the demons playable.
Reply Quote
But then again, against Jaraxxus you get the most hilarious kill ever, instagibbing him with one card right after he pops in your face, shouting and boasting ;)

In general though I agree its pointless. The only non-warlock demon I can think of in the game are the imps summoned by the neutral impmaster, and decking a card just to be able to kill a 1/1 once upon a blue moon is simply not worth it.
Reply Quote
I think that it'd be nice if it applied "Deathrattle: Restore 5 health to your hero. The minion then dies at the end of the turn."

This way you could combo it with Shadowflame, or apply it to a minion before you consume it with Void Terror.
Or just apply it to a Flame Imp before suicide-ramming it on something.

It'd make for a ridiculously cost-effective healing card, but given that Warlocks sacrifice a lot of health with Life Tap and the healing from pact cannot be targeted on a minion it might be balanced.
Reply Quote
Well ths would be a good card if the demons werent so useless.
Reply Quote
01/12/2014 01:11 PMPosted by Serp
This card isn't even good against enemy locks unless you encounter Jaraxxus.

What?

Free removal and health is very strong, even if it's just against a Flame Imp, that's a 1-for-1 yeah but it's also an 8 health swing (potentially) as well, and you still have the rest of your hand and mana to do whatever. Using it to remove a key Void Terror and get at the crunchy bits (like say that Knife Juggler or F. Dragon or whatever) can also be very strong, to say nothing if it hits a Doomguard, Pit Lord, or Infernal (even if they aren't played that much, they do come out now and then).

I think Sacrificial Pact is a terribly designed card, but don't undersell it's power in the situations it's actually useful just because it's not a single card "I win immediately" effect unless they opponent played Jaraxxus.

01/14/2014 10:43 AMPosted by Demandred20

Not true, if the Demons are good you generally don't want to Sac. them in the first place. Demons would need Synergy with dying they don't have, not just be generally "good."
Edited by Tsenzei on 1/14/2014 11:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
This card isn't even good against enemy locks unless you encounter Jaraxxus.

What?

Free removal and health is very strong, even if it's just against a Flame Imp, that's a 1-for-1 yeah but it's also an 8 health swing (potentially) as well, and you still have the rest of your hand and mana to do whatever. Using it to remove a key Void Terror and get at the crunchy bits (like say that Knife Juggler or F. Dragon or whatever) can also be very strong, to say nothing if it hits a Doomguard, Pit Lord, or Infernal (even if they aren't played that much, they do come out now and then).

I think Sacrificial Pact is a terribly designed card, but don't undersell it's power in the situations it's actually useful just because it's not a single card "I win immediately" effect unless they opponent played Jaraxxus.

Not true, if the Demons are good you generally don't want to Sac. them in the first place. Demons would need Synergy with dying they don't have, not just be generally "good."

But you could sacrifice them if they're on the cusp of diying because they're at low health and they've already did their job. Problem is most generally don't do their job and hurt you more than they help.
Edited by Serp on 1/14/2014 12:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/14/2014 12:41 PMPosted by Serp
But you could sacrifice them if they're on the cusp of diying because they're at low health and they've already did their job. Problem is most generally don't do their job and hurt you more than they help.

There are some situations where that would be the case, sure, but generally if they're good and just barely alive, it means they can do more work. I still think the best way to change Sac. Pact would be "friendly Minion." That removes it's too strong offensive interactions, while opening it to be used with things that can have far more synergy with dying, as well as more expendable Demons.

The one thing I'll credit the Blood Imp change, is that it is far more expendable. It doesn't need to stay in play for it's buff to remain, and it has no board presence on it's own anyway so you can't use it to trade off some wounded or low-cost minion. There are a lot more like that, like Elvish Archer, to an extent Abusive Sergeant, etc., that are mostly there for their enter-play effects rather than long-lasting benefits. Even then it might not be great to use Sac. Pact on them in many situations.

Right now, the Demons that are "bad" are those with solid offense or Taunt. Offense doesn't diminish with health, so those mid-to-high end Demons can still do a lot more work than a 1/1 or 2/1. The Felguard would maybe make a better Sac Target but as a Taunt it soaks damage (and possibly kills a thing) even if it's low health, so you're not really making forward progress with a heal. Basically, the main reason is if you're expecting AoE that would be used and kill the target anyway.

All the friendly minions that can interact semi-decently with Sac. Pact are already neutral, so may as well open it up to them beyond Imp Master.

Otherwise, there need to be more ways to spawn expendable Demons, or Demons with strong Deathrattles, etc.

Keep in mind also that simply improving Demon power in a raw sense, means that offensive Sac. Pact (which is far too good for it's cost) becomes even better. Sacrificial Pact itself needs to be changed, not just the Demons. And if it remains Demon specific, than Demons need to have better synergy with it (pending what it's changed into).
Reply Quote
01/14/2014 10:41 AMPosted by dajusta
These are some really good ideas.

Sacrificial pact could either be:

Sacrifice a minion for 3 life. If it is a demon, 5 life.

Why would you ever use siphon soul if you could just use this?
Reply Quote
01/14/2014 09:24 PMPosted by Fattonie
These are some really good ideas.

Sacrificial pact could either be:

Sacrifice a minion for 3 life. If it is a demon, 5 life.

Because SS can be used on enemy minions? Sacrifice generally means something you control
Reply Quote
01/14/2014 10:14 PMPosted by Methalos

Because SS can be used on enemy minions? Sacrifice generally means something you control

Name another instance where that keyword is used in this game. Considering a card named sacrificial pact can currently target enemy minions, it is a bad assumption to assume your wording would imply friendly minions only. So just say destroy a friendly minion if that is what you want it to do.
Reply Quote

Name another instance where that keyword is used in this game. Considering a card named sacrificial pact can currently target enemy minions, it is a bad assumption to assume your wording would imply friendly minions only. So just say destroy a friendly minion if that is what you want it to do.

You are right, I was thinking of MTG
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]