Giants Jaraxxus decklist: fun and competitive

Hello everyone, thought I'd share my (quite successful) Giant warlock deck with you. I hope I can give people a fun build, that is relatively affordable. Freeze mage was absolutely game wrecking. Don't worry, this build does not rely on gimmicks or broken game mechanics. Many streamers have laughed and wept maniacally over this deck, and this is my interpretation.

State of the metagame
With the nerf to mages and the vaporization of Blood Imp, a sleeping giant has awakened. This deck is characterized by maniac life tapping, huge card advantages and even bigger minions. Win conditions include Jaraxxus and 8/8 minions, though regular beatdowns are not unheard of.

The re-emergence of this deck has led to the following developments in my eyes:
    1) Hunter trap decks and rushes are blooming and they will eat you alive. With the Hunter buff and the snail's pace of this deck, the hunter-rush will make you sob. Even your own giants might turn on you...

2) Acidic swamp ooze might make a comeback. I've even seen Harrison Jones! Jaraxxus is a glass cannon win edition, and these two cards can screw up your play. The Black Knight is also lingering over giants with taunt. Be aware.

3) Big game hunter is starting to become an auto-include for many late-game oriented decks. Keep him in mind. He is unavoidable, so better make sure to seize board control.

So far the current (EU) ladder seems to be composed of mainly hunter rush, pally late game, the occasional stray murloc, standard late game druid and rogue rush. This deck downright stomps mages, priests, shamans and warriors. It is slightly favored or on even footing with paladin and druid. It has a disadvantage against big warlock, rogue or hunter rushes.

Main deck: 26 cards
2x Soulfire
Awesome removal spell or for pushing in the last bits of damage. Note that its description is incorrect. It should read: "Deal 4 damage to target minion or player, discard Argent Commander, Lord Jaraxxus or a random Giant from your hand"

2x Mortal Coil
Early game board control. Ideally your hand should hold 1 by turn 2, in order to counter annoying rushes

2x Ironbreak Owl
Epic little critter. He's able to wreck taunts, make Sylvanas cry and activate your Ancient Watchers

2x Ancient Watcher
The stars of this deck in the early game. A 2 cost Chillwind Yeti? Yes please! Activate it with Ironbeak owl or simply force enemies to attack it by making him a taunt.

2x Sunfury Protector
Decent stats for cost, trades quite well with early minions, but mainly serves to give taunt to your statues and giants to protect you.

2x Earthen Ring Farseer
Decent body with a great effect. Can be used to stay alive vs mage and hunter, to bandage up that Twilight Drake or (most importantly) keep Jaraxxus health in the white.

2x Defender of Argus
Even post nerf, he will make those Giants even Bigger and force some really uncomfortable trades or card wastage. I still think he can be played 'naked' if needs be. Don't be afraid to only make 1 minion a taunt, in order to protect a Giant (Black Knight), although Blizzard kindly offers that feature with the random displacement.

2x Twilight Drake
Nice Shadow Words, too bad they will be sitting in your hand. This minion will give absolute early board control and frequently go 3-1, or even more if you heal him. It's not uncommon to get him out at 4-8 or higher.

2x Hellfire
Risky board clear, but serves as a great softener or finisher (it damages the hero too).

1x Shadowfame
Set your Inferno ablaze, or melt down Ragnaros with this bad boy. Only 1, because it is to be used only 1) after attacking with a big minion 2) in the most dire of situations. This is a minion-light deck, so dont go around sacrificing them. It can also be used on small minions to push a great trade.

2x Siphon Soul
Instantly gibs enemies and heals you for a noteworthy amount of health. It can (and should) be used on your own minions, should you drop to low amounts of health.

1x Lord Jaraxxus
The star of this deck. Use only when behind taunts or when you are facing lethal. The weapon should be in your opponents face and your infernals will rule the board. The minion power ensures that late game slug-wars will go in your favor, no matter what. They are just big enough to trade 2-1 with most things, but small enough as to not be a liability for mind control. Get on our level, Silverhand Recruit! Not that his max health is 15, and this puts him in range of Mage and Rogue combo's. He must only be played if you are safe and is generally a 'win more' card.

2x Mountain Giant
Ideally, you draw this bad boy early, and he will come out on turn 4 or 5 (depending on what turn you go). Nothing much to say, just a good ol' fatty.

2x Molten Giant
This is a mid-game drop. He absolutely shines when paired with Shadowflame or as a free taunt minion with Sunfury Protector. Note that he scales off you max health (IE: in Jaraxxus form, he costs 10 when you are at 5 life). Therefore it may be worth to delay Jaraxxus until you have had at least 1 of these on the board.

Optional/Sideboard: 4 cards
- Leeroy Jenkins
This bad boy absolutely shines in the mirror and can be Shadowflamed afterwards. Can go for about 14+ points of direct damage for only 4 mana if coupled with Soulfire.

- Bloodmage Thalnos
Synergizes very well with spell heavy variants of this deck. Greatly increases lethality of Shadow Bolts, Shadowflames and even the lowly Mortal Coil. He also sets up a very cheap 14 points nuke in the form of Hellfire and Soulfire.

- Ragnaros/Black Knight/Cairne/Ysera/Argent Commander
Secondary win conditions and simply great late game units. I think they should not be added because they can slow down your play and lead to risky situations (see Soulfire). Your plays are to get out Jaraxxus and stabilize. Ysera may be too slow.

- Shadow Bolt
Overpriced but decent minion removal. 4 is a sweet spot for many units, so it will almost always go 1-1. It's worth including Thalnos if you use this.

- Drain Life
Overpriced crappy spell...except in this deck. 2 damage can be great to follow up on a hellfire and can put you outside of lethal-range. It is also great to draw in Jaraxxus form, because his health needs to be topped off at every instant in order to prevent humiliating defeats. You don't want to be forced to use your soul siphon on your own Ragnaros in order to survive next round, right?

- Voodoo doctor
Decent 2/1 body with late game utility in the form of healing. Enables tanky minions to trade even better.

- Nat Pagle
Can supplement your card draw. I do not like his RNG, but he can be protected quite well and provides a passive taunt.

- Acidic Swamp Ooze
Mirror match? No problem. Hold onto this! Can also save you from Ashbringer.

In case you are curious, I found that enemies will rush you down as soon as possible. Therefore I picked 2x Drain Life and 2x Voodoo doctor. It is also the most safe and cheap form of this deck (about 4000 in dust).

How-to-play
OBLIVION!! INFERNOO!!

Well, getting there might be tricky. The general concept is to stay defensive, remove enemy minions and life tap till you get Jaraxxus. Drop huge things on turn 4 (Drake), turn 7 (Giants), make taunts on turn 8 (Argus) and set up for the win at turn 9 (Jaraxxus). The deck will then snowball fast. Secondary win conditions are, of course, rushing out giants, attacking with ancient watchers and burning face.

Be very wary during turns 6-8, because enemies will adapt to this deck and will punish greedy plays or overextentions. Nothing feels worse than having your blood fury whipped out of your hands (claws?) by Mr. Jones.

Class specific advice
Hunter: your bane. You will lose if you do not draw mortal coil, twilight drakes, any taunt combo or other forms of removal in the first 2 turns. Mulligan aggresively and do not be afraid to soulfire his minions. He has little draw, so if he overextends, he's dead. Do NOT attack with giants when a secret is out. First set up taunts and smaller minions (Misdirection).

Mage: do these still exist? In theory you can get fragged in one round as Jaraxxus or be whittled down by turn 7 in order to set you up for a turn 8.... oh wait. Nonetheless, mage rushes may occur and you should be conservative on the tap. You will have enough healing to provoke him, after which Jaraxxus can come out safely.

Paladin: never leave out more than 1 giant at the same time because of equality. Save Ironbeak for Tirion. Pick off small minions in order to avoid equality. Bait it out with Twilight Drakes. His healing can stall the game, but your late game is way bigger (by a factor 6, really).

Shaman: clear his board, no matter what. Going for face is not adviced because Shaman has huge potential for burst damage. Focus on baiting out the initial hexes with buffed up critters and always account for the possibility of bloodlust. He has no healing whatsoever, so slowrolling is an option.

Druid: my favorite matchup. This generally goes methodically, with the eye on card advantage. Druids generally run 1 Ancient of War, 2 Lores, Ragnaros, Ysera, Sylvanas, Cenarius. Try to keep 0 giants out or 2. Be aware of the Malygos deck and never let your health sink beneath 12 to avoid OTKs. Use Siphon Soul and Owl wisely. Tinkmaster may be added in if this match up frustrates you.

Warlock: will stomp early aggression witht he right hand. In the mirror you must hold onto direct damage spells and keep the board clear, in order to deter the opponent from playing Jaraxxus. You may want an Ooze for this purpose. In general, your health should be around 15 to keep the giants playable, while staying outside of Leeroy/soulfire range. Pick the Black Knight to punish greedy plays. Add in Big Game hunter for tempo swings.

Rogue: the latest rogue aggro focuses on stomping your face in. Beware of direct damage. If a rogue has a full hand, assume Leeroy/cold blood or eviscerate. Keep taunts up no matter what and go Jaraxxus asap. Speaking of which: Sap and Assassinate ruin your day. Focus on board quantity to exploit his lack of AoE.

Priest: Drakes and Ancient Watchers absolutely shine in this match up. Play around shadow words with big threats, but never rely on them. In the late game, go Jaraxxus instead of giants, even if this means keeping Molten giants in hand. Infernals are big enough to be scray, but are not good mind control targets. Exactly for this reason should you not always Taunt your units. Priest has very little scary immediate damage. Keep an eye on potential buff-plays and nip it with Soulfire.

Warrior: If you need advice in this match up, I've got bad news...

Have fun!
Edited by heavyyield on 1/18/2014 2:29 PM PST
Reply Quote
To optional you can add Doomsayers for an early game stall on turn 2 or 3 if he has minions you can't remove in the next one or two turns . Can also be used as emergeny boardclear behind taunts if you're cool with losing them. They have to be dealt with and will allways buy you at least his attention if not the full turn .

Also Alexstrasza might be worth it as a secondary option to heal up if need be or if you flat out can't seem to draw Jaraxxus when you need him.

I've also seen people run Faceless Manipulator to copy scary stuff of your opponent or make another Giant.

Also Twisting Nether is something i've encoutered although i'm not sold on it myself.
Edited by Serp on 1/18/2014 3:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
Lol I am trying out this deck and just played someone with the exact same deck.... we just emoted each other the whole game
Reply Quote
The deck is pretty boring to play from, my experience. You literally just sit on your hand and stall, then start dropping 8/8's. It's pretty boring to play against to, the game is pretty much decided by your opponent having or not having 1 or 2 cards. Doesn't take a whole lot of skill to play either TBH.
Reply Quote
01/19/2014 03:48 PMPosted by Amoonis
Doesn't take a whole lot of skill to play either TBH.

Yes, better play murloc. The deck of skill.

No, imo control decks need more thinking/skill in general, since you have more cards and more options at the same time. If you think this deck doesn't involve much skill, which kind of deck needs it then?
Edited by GuyIncognito on 1/19/2014 11:01 PM PST
Reply Quote
01/19/2014 11:00 PMPosted by GuyIncognito
Doesn't take a whole lot of skill to play either TBH.

No, imo control decks need more thinking/skill in general, since you have more cards and more options at the same time. If you think this deck doesn't involve much skill, which kind of deck needs it then?

Not really. Watched a couple of games of people playing against this kind of deck and it honestly is just lazy, the order they play their cards is step by step predictable and boring, it's just dumb.
Reply Quote
01/20/2014 02:05 PMPosted by Specter

Not really. Watched a couple of games of people playing against this kind of deck and it honestly is just lazy, the order they play their cards is step by step predictable and boring, it's just dumb.

Sadly there aren't many options out there if you want to win games with Warlock . My Paladin Deck has tons of holes but it's more fun than the Giants stuff . I tried other things but they just don't work. Too many useless cards in the Warlock arsenal.
Reply Quote

Sadly there aren't many options out there if you want to win games with Warlock . My Paladin Deck has tons of holes but it's more fun than the Giants stuff . I tried other things but they just don't work. Too many useless cards in the Warlock arsenal.

(Nods) I agree that part of the problem is that there's not many ways to play all of the decks. Going back to how I said I was watching people play in the ranks and I didn't see a single Warrior after the patch. However... I do think that the way Warlock synergizes with Twilight Drakes, Mountain Giants, and Molten Giants is just insane, I think they synergize too well.
Edited by Specter on 1/20/2014 2:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
I think you need to run the abomination taunt. Don't use soulfire, what a waste.
Reply Quote
I think you need to run the abomination taunt. Don't use soulfire, what a waste.

I dont think that a card that does 4 damage for 0 mana is waste, it can save you or you can win with it. Its a solid card
Edited by Korxo on 1/20/2014 5:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
This really is the most easy mode crap horse to play. Also easy to counter with 2 big game hunters in your deck
Reply Quote
01/21/2014 03:45 PMPosted by Blauwhuid
This really is the most easy mode crap horse to play. Also easy to counter with 2 big game hunters in your deck

Depends on the rest of your deck. Giants are of course a main point but also can be used to bait the hard removal . The deck has 7 threats 4 Giants , 2 Drakes and Jaraxxus if you can deal with all of them you're fine . The rest is just utility.
Edited by Serp on 1/21/2014 4:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
LMFAO, fun and competitive. Nice one. I'll give it to you that it's competitive, but it's boring as !@#$.
Reply Quote
This deck should be removed from the game somehow. It is just not fun to play or play against and can be extremly difficult to beat. I am a warrior and i have a lot of trouble beating this type of decks. But this is not the problem, if i loose, thats it, but it is just booring as hell. The warlock does nothing but life tap until he got 10 cards, then double drake +argus. Fine, i can clear that. Then he life taps himself to death, and double molten giant+sunfury, argus. Ok then, i can deal with it, BGH, execute, trading minions, Black Knight, fine. And then LORD JARAXUS!! I start killing him, but i just cant rid of the golems he summons, i just dont have more minions or removal spells, i used a LOT to get rid of the giants and other things. He is on 1 hp, better give the golems argus or sunfury again. Thats it, done.

The problem is not that i loose some games (not all, people are brainless with op decks too), but it is just booring as hell and takes too long, not fun at all.
Reply Quote
Yeah, but how can you blame Warlock as they really have only Giant deck or Merloc deck. Nothing else is possible for them to play at all. Warlock has zero class minions to play...
Reply Quote
Thanks OP. How far did you go in the ladder with this deck?

def need Leeroy
Reply Quote
Bane of Doom too RNG?

I've played a variation of this deck with 1 Twisting Nether and it can really turn a game. They may have board control to your one lowly minion but attack the face and twisting nether and they just lost all their momentum. Playing 2 twisting nethers almost always guarantees you get one on time, but they are high cost and situational so I run with 1 only, but sometimes you just never see it all game.
Reply Quote
that deck is called giant warlock deck and yes is competitive... but I'm making my own version with a ton of removals, even nether void and some block minions, like sunwalker and abo, and don't run the twilight drake, just don't like it, i think there are much better minions for it cost and not that bad against silence :S (earth shock and good bye twilight)
Reply Quote
ive been running this deck with alexstraza to great effect. gives jarraxus a full heal or can save you from death. Ive more than once been able to otk by playing alex with 2 giants on the field and a soulfire
Reply Quote
Annnnnnnd....it's patch.....SOON (TM)
Edited by Furydeath on 1/23/2014 5:02 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]