Lets Talk About Secrets

Have you tried Onyxia instead? That's what I think would be most efficient, it's sad I don't have it.
Reply Quote
I hold my Archmage Antonidas in my hand till I have 10 crystals or play counter spell the turn before and play Antonidas/Alexstrasza to ensure easier victory even if the turn after it will be destroyed it won't be a problem cause I'll get 2-3 fireballs and I only play antonidas when I know I am near to Frostbolt/Lances to ensure I get more fireballs.

I play Ice Barrier pretty much early on if I don't have a Kirin Tor Mage in hand and I play my Ice Block early on so that I know it will be a secret up for a while so when I play my Ethereal Arcanists I don't have to search or play a secret with him.

I usually hold counter spell for around 5 crystals/6 or when I play a strong card maybe to bait out a Raxxars secrets.. other than that ^^ I don't know how else to use it.
Reply Quote
So what are some good times to lay down the new secret?
What are guys looking to essentially "draw"?
Reply Quote
Yeah I guess it’s kind of a necro but I’m interested to see if anyone is thinking about the possibilities. So now that Naxx is out anyone else feeling devious?

My main problem with secret control in the past was the pacing. It usually played out too slow if you could get the ball rolling it was neigh unbeatable but that’s high RNG to play with which ultimately made it a recreational deck.

I’m interested in duplicate because it could change the speed problems that secret decks hurt from in the past.

Imagine turn two coin to Kirin Tor Mage to Duplicate. The Kirin Tor Mage, while having an admirable battle cry, was always underestimated. In my play: it traded equally or up, was out of sw range, was too big to ignore early game, and forced tempo down against a speed deck.

It offers the opportunity to speed up the roll out of the control in both possession and secret control.

If you hate secrets and believe they suck thats great… for those of you who are interested thoughts?
Reply Quote
Well, the topic is lets talk secrets. What is the point of people coming here to bash them -_-

Anyway, I would like to think Duplicate does give the deck more options, even though it seems to require a lot of setting up. Honestly, Duplicate seems less secrets-dedicated and more something a battlecry or deathrattle based deck would like.

Dat loot horder value? Or keep summoning the blue dragonflight?
Also be nice to back up that dude who makes opponents spells cost 5 <.<;

Either way, the thing about Duplicate, as you implied, is that you have to fore your opponent to make the trade, since you can't trigger it.
Wow... that new secrets rule hurt us T_T was it really that bad secret pallies were a thing?
Reply Quote
The biggest thing in the naxx set is mad scientist. I think that card alone actually makes Ethereal Arcanist playable since it extends your secret pool to 2 while providing a nice 2/2 to deal with zoo which I find that secret decks struggle with quite a bit. Duplicate is the next big thing since the deck usually ran out of steam against say druids or other control decks and now has ways of maintaining pressure on the opponent. Additionally duplicate allows for making plays to provide more answers against some decks, for example: duplicate on an owl for more silence.

My current set up for secrets that I'm planning on right now is:

2 Mad Scientist
2 Kirin Tor Mage
2 Spellbender
2 Duplicate
1 Ice block
2 Ethereal Arcanist

I predict buffs will be big when all of the naxx cards are released, making spellbender much more valuable. Additionally, spellbender is more likely to last a turn to drop a 5/5 arcanist. Overall, I'm very much looking forward to making a secret deck in ~3 weeks.
Reply Quote
07/26/2014 02:43 PMPosted by Ace

2 Mad Scientist
2 Kirin Tor Mage
2 Spellbender
2 Duplicate
1 Ice block
2 Ethereal Arcanist

Not sure if it's a good thing or not, so I'm asking... With such a deck, it's quite possible to have Spellbender and Duplicate on your hero at the same time. If your opponent cast a Marks of the Wild, then great, but if he cast a damaging spell like Wrath (let say to kill Kirin), he would end up killing a 1/3 minion spawned by Spellbender, then Duplicate would give you two of those minions. So you would loose two secrets quickly but gain two minions that cost nothing but are only 1/3. So, worth it or not? If not, could counterspell be better than Spellbender, but you cannot take advantage of your opponent's good spells?
Reply Quote
07/28/2014 06:34 AMPosted by RealGambler
So, worth it or not? If not, could counterspell be better than Spellbender, but you cannot take advantage of your opponent's good spells?

That's kind of the back and forward question all the time. You could argue two copies of both, two of either, or a 2/1, and there isn't necessarily a right answer. People too often make the mistake of loading their board, and aren't wary enough of the possible interactions. There are too few charge cards to warrant having to prep secrets before hand. Secrets are best used when you limit your opponents options and put them in the position you want them in.

However, I maintain what I've said before secrets aren't 'save me card' they are tools and weapons. Patience is whats hard about playing secrets well. You have to hold cards because playing your opponent is as much a part of the match as every thing else. You may be holding a dead hand but most opponents know a mage can get a lot of milage out of three or four cards.
Reply Quote
07/28/2014 06:34 AMPosted by RealGambler
Not sure if it's a good thing or not, so I'm asking... With such a deck, it's quite possible to have Spellbender and Duplicate on your hero at the same time. If your opponent cast a Marks of the Wild, then great, but if he cast a damaging spell like Wrath (let say to kill Kirin), he would end up killing a 1/3 minion spawned by Spellbender, then Duplicate would give you two of those minions. So you would loose two secrets quickly but gain two minions that cost nothing but are only 1/3. So, worth it or not? If not, could counterspell be better than Spellbender, but you cannot take advantage of your opponent's good spells?

Here's a draft of what I will start testing once all the cards are released:
http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=60406/naxx-secrets

As mentioned with what I wrote, I plan on using the 0 cost 1/3s with defender of argus if such a case occurs to cope. 2 2/4 taunts is not bad at all for 4 mana and I think it's an appropriate adaption to something that may be fairly common. I also want to note that I did have a hard time playing defender of argus with my previous secret deck and sometimes he'd just sit in my hand with no minions. Being able to duplicate even a 1/3 minion justifies the two defenders of argus even more.

Now I chose the secrets very specifically to work with ethereal arcanist with the aim to consistently have a 5/5 with them instead of a lousy 3/3. Counterspell can be a very awful spell in the early game because of Coin, and I'm aiming to get a secret in play very early that won't be as easy to activate. If ethereal arcanist doesn't work out then water elemental will most likely come back in instead and counterspell might be a good option. Although, I honestly feel that mage secret decks are better off as midrange decks (where counterspell doesn't work so well) and counterspell is better off as a tech card in late game mage deck.
Reply Quote
This season I got to rank #6 with a secret deck (now #8 thanks to excess of miracle rogues), and I'm looking forward to the Naxx secret cards, Mad Scientist specially, since I also think that card makes the Ethereal a viable option... I know many of you run ethereal already, but I've found that it sits idle too much when you don't run Ice Block/Barrier like I do.

Duplicate looks interesting too, I might try it for sure, and since I only run 1 Spellbender I doubt I'll have the "get 2 1/3 cards for 2 secrets" problem.
Reply Quote
Secrets are awesome. It adds another level of thought and screws your opponent intended playstyle, especially at turn 3, a kirin + minon entity or counterspell. But I am having huge problems with hunter secrets decks.

Aggro/rush loses steam in the late game imo and its so weak against taunt crazy decks or rogues. Loving how secrets mage is possibly viable in the rankings.. and duplicate card.. oh man.
Reply Quote
Keep us updated after you get it a go in a few weeks Ace. Sounds fun.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]