Is flamestrike now the most infuriating card?

Needs to be changed in arena.

Too many times you fight tooth and nail to get board control then suddenly 1 2 or 3 flamestrikes keep coming completely ending the game without any skill or interaction between players.

For the love of god make it at least a rare card so not every mage has 1-2 or more every arena run.
Reply Quote
No. It's still Fiery Win Axe.
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 11:26 PMPosted by Blingley
No. It's still Fiery Win Axe.

There's a damn good reason why they call it that, LOL.

http://i.imgur.com/z2wQTRL.jpg

-----

Though back on topic, the most infuriating to me are actually argent protector, mad bomber, and UTH. Argent protector because a coined turn 1 drop with no axe give paladin incredible momentum. The risk of going behind with nothing on the board as a warrior is pretty scary since warrior AoE doesn't really exist in arena.

Mad bomber because the random is just too annoying. It's probably the most played RNG card, which is probably the only reason it's more annoying than the other RNG cards.

And UTH is just kind of OP, and I never get any the times I actually play hunter, lol.
Reply Quote
01/22/2014 11:11 PMPosted by Mooney
Too many times you fight tooth and nail to get board control then suddenly 1 2 or 3 flamestrikes keep coming completely ending the game without any skill or interaction between players.

The interaction is the opposing player respecting the potential flamestrike, and playing accordingly. Yeah, it is a strong card, but you can play around it most of the times. Sometimes you can't, but that is true for a lot of cards.
Reply Quote
Flamestrike does require skill.
But it should be changed to a rare, that would make it a lot more balanced.
Reply Quote
If Flamestrike were rare, it would further kill Mage in Constructed. The game is not balanced around Arena, after all.

Plus, easily the most annoying thing in Arena is a Healing Totem that lives for more than a couple turns. :P A close second is whichever card was last used to give you your 3rd loss.
Reply Quote
Why do I think harvest golem is the most annoying card....lol..
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 08:41 AMPosted by WoobMonkey
If Flamestrike were rare, it would further kill Mage in Constructed.

How? Rarity has no impact in constructed whatsoever. Well, save for the one of rule for legendarily.

01/23/2014 08:41 AMPosted by WoobMonkey
The game is not balanced around Arena, after all.

It should be, though. Magic started balancing around limited with Tempest / Stronghold / Exodus (1997/1998). Wizards of the Cost considers this as a very successful move now.
Edited by Cris on 1/23/2014 3:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
I just used 3 flamestrikes against someone (i drafted 3) ... i felt really bad :( , but at the same time he was using a mage too so that made me feel a bit better...
Reply Quote
haha- just played a guy who played flamestrike turn 7, 8 and 9... the first time I kind of figured it... but had a big creature so it lived.. I brewmastered it back and dropped something else... killed on turn 8

Then i figured, no way he has a third one.. dropped my other minion again and another... flamestrike x_x

Felt good crushing him though
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 03:26 PMPosted by Cris

How? Rarity has no impact in constructed whatsoever. Well, save for the one of rule for legendarily.

...unless you're a new player. How many more threads of people whining that they have no chance with basic cards do you think Blizz would find acceptable? Without AOE, Mage is dead in the water. Since the first hero you have to play through the tutorials and basic AI is Mage, throw 'em a bone, eh?

It should be, though. Magic started balancing around limited with Tempest / Stronghold / Exodus (1997/1998). Wizards of the Cost considers this as a very successful move now.

In before everyone tells you 'this isn't M:tG. It isn't intended to be M:tG. It will never be M:tG.

This is Hearthstone; and Hearthstone is balanced for constructed play. M:tG has a completely different form of drafting for tourneys, in case you hadn't noticed.
Reply Quote
Mages are broken as hell in Arena. That is why there are so many posts complaining about it.

This isn't rocket science.
Reply Quote
i agree with the OP

its usually a complete board wipe in a mode that heavily depends on board control

i draft as many as i can, survive to turn 7, and flamestrike away when they start to build up

sure, you need some common sense when to use it and when its a waste, but, generally if you're getting at least 3 to 1 on it with better than 1/1-2/2s its a pretty good use...
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 08:35 PMPosted by WoobMonkey

In before everyone tells you 'this isn't M:tG. It isn't intended to be M:tG. It will never be M:tG.

This is Hearthstone; and Hearthstone is balanced for constructed play. M:tG has a completely different form of drafting for tourneys, in case you hadn't noticed.

M:tG balances both limited and constructed because it's brain dead for any game ever not to balance competitive game modes you are trying to support. Particularly ironic when Arena is the only one that actually rewards skilled players right now.
Edited by FoxBat on 1/23/2014 9:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
Make flamestrike rare and suddenly arena is a MUCH more fun place to play.

I'm happy to be flamestriked once every 1/2 mages I come across, anymore is kind of stupid. And you come across a LOT of mages at higher win/lose
Reply Quote

M:tG balances both limited and constructed because it's brain dead for any game ever not to balance competitive game modes you are trying to support. Particularly ironic when Arena is the only one that actually rewards skilled players right now.

That works for M:tG because at any given time in the standard format there are 500-800 (Currently 498, 662 in two weeks) useable cards. In this game there are something like 382 with quite a few being straight up terrible in all situations and many being class specific.

This game also requires more cards if you think about it. In M:tG you have about 1/3 of your deck taken up by land and then 10+ unique cards because of the limit of 4 per deck. In this game you have no mana in your deck taking up space so the minimum amount of unique cards is 15. If you run legendaries that's even more. Because of this the card pool is actually relatively even smaller than it already it.
Edited by Yemallis on 1/24/2014 7:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
I am a lot more infuriated by cards that do stuff or 'steal' MY creatures.
Shadow madness, thoughtsteal, mind control, mind control tech, betrayal and cabal shadow priest are all more infuriating to me.

I'm not saying any of the cards are 'better' or more effective than flamestrike, but I get more emotionally infuriated by the above listed cards. I sort of expect a flamestrike when playing a mage in turn 7.

Perhaps the 3rd flamestrike is infuriating...but then again a 3rd mind control would have me smacking something hard against my monitor.
Edited by Molach on 1/24/2014 7:29 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/24/2014 05:59 AMPosted by Mooney
Make flamestrike rare and suddenly arena is a MUCH more fun place to play.

I'm happy to be flamestriked once every 1/2 mages I come across, anymore is kind of stupid. And you come across a LOT of mages at higher win/lose

Yup and the reason for that is look at the absurd removal options Mages have:

Arcane Missiles
Arcane Explosion
Flamestrike
Fireball
Frost Nova
Cone of cold
Flamestrike
Frostbolt

It's absurd. That's why everyone is picking Mage when they can, that's why there are so many Mages at higher wins, that's why everyone is complaining, and that's why Mages can sit there with a bad hand and stall all game long.

Flamestrike being rare is just the obvious low-impact change. Mage in general needs to be nerfed, and the mage hero ability needs a big fat nerf too.

(Removing Divine Shield with zero downside? LOL. At least Druid and Rogue has to eat the damage from the minion)
Reply Quote
One thing I love about Flamestrikes is the wonderful feeling of winning even when you get hit by them once or twice. Of course, I don't think I've ever survived 3 of them.
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 03:26 PMPosted by Cris

If you say so. I still recall an opponent recoiling from a Cursed Scroll in Sealed as though I had just hurled a live cobra onto the table. The trip Pestilence mono-black Urza block draft I had was pretty ridiculous, too.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]