Unleash The Hounds

Unleash the hounds is one of the most overpowered cards for hunter after the boost they got from 4 mana cost to 2 mana cost.. It really bothers me when hunter can play such a low mana cost card and summon minions with charge able to clear over a whole board..and not only that its like wombo combo if you have the scavenging hyena or the starving buzzard able to play the same turn..In my opinion just remove the CHARGE from the hounds and this card would be more fair.
Reply Quote
Well this is new....
Edited by Highlander on 1/23/2014 1:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
The card is garbage if the Hounds don't have Charge. Learn to not flood the board against Hunters.
Reply Quote
What use would it be for a hunter to summon a board full of 1/1 minions if they can't attack the same turn? They just take up space and your opponent would laugh his way to the morgue while ignoring your hounds and knocking you over the head.
Reply Quote
for 2 mana cost card,summoning minions with charge seems overpowered to me..If it was 4 mana cost like before that would make sense!
Reply Quote
Now that you’re armed with the knowledge of how we decide which cards to change, I want you all to know that once we go into Open Beta with Hearthstone (which is happening soon!), we plan to make very few card changes, unless they are absolutely necessary. We want players to find their own creative solutions to different decks, not to wait for us to nerf the flavor the month.

You can stop making these threads now.
Reply Quote
I would be more comfortable with UTH if it were 3 mana instead of 2. 2 mana is way too cheap cost for a card that can completely wipe a board if exploited in the right way AND can completely restore a Hunter's hand if a Buzzard is used directly beforehand.
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 01:21 PMPosted by Qunka
for 2 mana cost card,summoning minions with charge seems overpowered to me..If it was 4 mana cost like before that would make sense!

Just because something "seems" op to you, it doesn't automatically make it so. Try learning about the decks that you have problems with, see how they're executed, then you can understand how they can be beat.

Try actual problem solving skills first. I think this concept is still taught in schools, aren't they?
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 01:14 PMPosted by Moncrief
The card is garbage if the Hounds don't have Charge. Learn to not flood the board against Hunters.

This is really the only post needed in the thread. Guess what, UTH is kinda bad if it summons, like, 2 hounds. Learn how to play against Hunters.
Reply Quote
When suggesting a nerf to a card (or mechanic), you need to do some homework.

1) First verify the card or mechanic in question is actually the problem
There are not so obvious synergies in this game. For example, giants. A 0M 8/8 in of itself is not a bad thing (when you consider how they become 0M). It starts to get excessive when you can double that, or if you can grant them charge, and most especially, if you can bounce and charge them, but in of itself, the Mana function is not the problem.

Also note, "starts to get excessive" is not the same thing as needing a nerf.

2) Come up with a reasonable tweak to the card or mechanic in question.
Reasonable means, the card still needs to be useful after. Just because a card needs a nerf, is no reason to turn it into a 1/1 minion for 3 mana, for example.

We'll use UtH here, just to illustrate. Note: I don't believe UtH is in need of a tweak.
A) Increase Mana to 3
B) Hounds do 1 less damage to non-minion characters.
C) Hounds are 2/1, but no longer count as Beasts (This leads into below, by itself it is an over-nerf)

3) Then verify how decks that use the card will work, post-nerf, and determine if synergies were broken unnecessarily.
Using the above UtH tweaks:

A) Synergies are delayed, not broken. You can't Buzzard+Rhino+UtH+Hyena in one turn, or Leeroy+UtH+Timber+Buzzard+Hyena. Potentially reasonable.
B) You can't face smash without Timber/Leokk/Raid Leader/Stormwind Champ support, but minions still dies just as easily. Potentially reasonable.
C) Hunters lose out on the only reasonably controllable multi-draw mechanic that nets them positive card advantage (as opposed to simply replacing cards). Further tweaking would be necessary, making this an unlikely solution to "the problem" (again, this is hypothetical, I don't think the only problem is PEBKAC).

So, when you are nerd raging for a nerf, realize the rage post is useless, and something along the above (especially providing ample support for #1) is much more useful.

One final note: Anecdotes are not support.
Edited by Verdash on 1/23/2014 1:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
yeah it is op , no wonder bliz changed 4 to 2 mana cost what were they thinkin:O
Reply Quote
I think this card should give +1 attack to all of your beats and give them charge. WHATCHA GUYS THINKIN BOUT THAT?!
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 03:02 PMPosted by Hate
is card should give +1 attack to all of your beats and give them charge. WHATCHA GUYS THINKIN BOUT THAT?!

nah ,already a minion which gives charge ,and it would do nothing with hounds
Reply Quote
01/23/2014 01:13 PMPosted by Qunka
Unleash the hounds is one of the most overpowered cards for hunter after the boost they got from 4 mana cost to 2 mana cost.. It really bothers me when hunter can play such a low mana cost card and summon minions with charge able to clear over a whole board..and not only that its like wombo combo if you have the scavenging hyena or the starving buzzard able to play the same turn..In my opinion just remove the CHARGE from the hounds and this card would be more fair.

4 1/1 hounds can clear a board?

Interesting.
Reply Quote
I find unleash the hounds + buzzard to be a bit overpowered... same with buzzard + snake trap.

At least with the snake trap you have a little control over it.
Reply Quote
I'm sorry for all of you proud hunters out there, but i must agree with Qunka. Since a few days all these Hunter-Overrun-Decks just seem to spawn everywhere in the constructed game. That reminds me a little of the Warlock-Murlock wave we had not a long time ago. It's really frustrating how they always are able to silence the tauters with their crappy owls or other !@#$ty stuff and then just charge to youre face, till they can do leathel with that %^-*ty UtH on turn 6 or 7. It really feels like the Pyroblast finisher for Mage on turn eight. And that Spell was nerved just because of that reason. That's why i don't see any sense in that UtH-buff. It just drives me nuts, and i think i'm not the only one with that feeling.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english, i'm from germany.
Reply Quote
I totaly agree with the #1 this card is so powerfull unbalanced please remove charge or dont make the hounds to beasts... the combo is too strong!!!!
Reply Quote
Change it to a legendary card so they can only play 1.
Reply Quote
It wouldn't be so bad except that blizzard has made this game all about minions. Don't flood the board? how am I supposed to win with my weenie swarm deck, or even my midrange deck without playing creatures.

The card itself is not overpowered. The real problem is the inherent power of card draw engines in this game. Being able to use 4 mana to draw a ton of cards via UTH and Buzzard and still have enough creatures on the board to take out 1 or even 2 enemy minions puts a backbreaking amount of pressure on your opponent. That isn't counting outlier synergies such as the hyena or if you happen to have the cult master on board.

With 30 card decks, card draw is far more prominent than 60 (old MTG player here) and leads to being able to find answers far more rapidly. I am a firm believer the reason Warlocks are so strong is because their passive is perpetual card draw, feeding them into an incremental advantage over an opponent.

Unleash the hounds punishes players for trying to win. Hearthstone isn't meant to be played passively. You have little guys you want to get in the redzone with. Doing so against a hunter means a blow out. The community solution to this being to not play your minions just seems like an example of a faulty interaction in the game to me.
Reply Quote
02/15/2014 12:42 PMPosted by Sixpips
It wouldn't be so bad except that blizzard has made this game all about minions. Don't flood the board? how am I supposed to win with my weenie swarm deck, or even my midrange deck without playing creatures.

The card itself is not overpowered. The real problem is the inherent power of card draw engines in this game. Being able to use 4 mana to draw a ton of cards via UTH and Buzzard and still have enough creatures on the board to take out 1 or even 2 enemy minions puts a backbreaking amount of pressure on your opponent. That isn't counting outlier synergies such as the hyena or if you happen to have the cult master on board.

With 30 card decks, card draw is far more prominent than 60 (old MTG player here) and leads to being able to find answers far more rapidly. I am a firm believer the reason Warlocks are so strong is because their passive is perpetual card draw, feeding them into an incremental advantage over an opponent.

Unleash the hounds punishes players for trying to win. Hearthstone isn't meant to be played passively. You have little guys you want to get in the redzone with. Doing so against a hunter means a blow out. The community solution to this being to not play your minions just seems like an example of a faulty interaction in the game to me.

Not flooding the board doesn't mean not playing creatures. It means not spamming creatures. UTH only becomes absurd if you have 4+ minions on board and they have the rest of their combo pieces available, and with enough mana to play them all. With 1-3 creatures on board, which is a very reasonable board position to be in that isn't necessarily passive, defensive or whatever, UTH isn't nearly as backbreaking. Also, who says Hearthstone isn't meant to be played passively? If you prefer to play aggressive rush decks that's perfectly fine, but others prefer passive control decks and that's also fine. I think you suffer from the misconception that creatures=aggression, which simply isn't true. Not all creatures are created equal, some are simple beaters(like all those little Murlocs for example) others are pure utility(like Acolyte of Pain, Imp Master, etc) others are a mixture of both(like Defender of Argos, Stormwind Champion, etc). Having a bunch of utility creatures on your board doesn't make you aggressive.

As for card drawing, yes it's certainly powerful but contrary to your belief it is much weaker than in MTG. In Hearthstone, unlike MTG(I too am a MTG player), your mana is linear and static and you can't really ramp(Druid is the obvious exception but even Druid ramp is minor compared to MTG style ramp). Nor can you manipulate your mana by untapping lands with spells(Cloud of Faeries, Snap, Rewind, etc) to generate even more mana out of your lands. So while you can draw a larger portion of your deck in Hearthstone, you can't use all the cards you're drawing since your mana is extremely limited. Also Warlocks aren't "so strong" as you put it, they're a middle of the pack class, and their card drawing can backfire, due to the health loss against aggressive decks and due to exhaustion penalty against control decks.

So basically, your entire post is simply wrong, and it seems that you have yet to grasp the intricacies of Hearthstone. Realize that you still have a lot to learn about this game and focus on doing that rather than misguidedly whine about certain cards. It will be much more productive for you and make you a better player.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]