Explosive trap is really OP and stupid

Face it people, after playing a while most people already have ability to guess what secrets the others are playing. For most secret, we can find way to counter such as summon trash minion or use trash to attack or use trash spell whatever, but to explosive trap the is no way to counter it. You know it's there and you have bunch of minion that's only 2 health and there is absolutely no way to mitigate that damage other than stop attacking but that's no mitigating as well, you can just wait until you have some buff that increase one of your creatures health but still cannot save the others. And the disgusting fact that it deal
s 2 two the hero as well and ONLY COSTS 2 MANA is absolutely infuriating. It's the strongest AOE damage spell including damaging the hero period. Basically what ever you have in the early turn will all die because they used a 2 mana trap.

Look at other cards, start fire 5 mana, arcane explosion only one damage, doesn't include hero, consecration 4 mana... you name it!.

Totally unacceptable. It needs to cost 4 mana instead. (Flare is too situational so don't even mention it).

Must fix, or will never play against a hunter with that stupid trap.
Edited by Consilium on 1/24/2014 9:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
I think i have read a thread describing why every single hunter card is op and unfair this is getting old
Reply Quote
Lightning Storm for a Shaman is 3 mana for 2 or 3 (random) damage to all enemy minions. Pretty amazing, really. It does have Overload: 2, but if you need AoE early, it's well worth it.

Explosive Trap gets a discount for being a secret. It is possible to work around it to make it less effective. For example, if you can see your opponent has played a secret and think it is Explosive Trap, use your wimpy minions to kill his, before triggering the trap. A regular AoE spell you don't get that opportunity, your opponent just blows up your side of the board and his minions are left completely intact. That's why Explosive Trap is cheaper than other AoE spells.
Reply Quote
Secrets need to all cost the same mana.

Explosive trap is a very good card, almost class defining, but it doesn't win games on its own.
Reply Quote
There is an easy solution to your problem and has a much higher success rate than requesting the devs to make the game easier for you personally. If your opponent is a Hunter and plays a 2 mana secret? Do not attack directly while you only control x/2 minions and no minions in your hand. Like you said, you can predict when it is coming. Learn some skills.
Reply Quote
I think i have read a thread describing why every single Hearthstone card is op and unfair this is getting old

Fixed.
Reply Quote
All secrets cost the same amount of mana so it's more difficult to guess which one is played.

If you think secrets are overpowered you should ask the Hunter I played last night who had three secrets out which never got triggered while Ragnaros sat and threw fireballs at his face.
Edited by Beleth on 1/24/2014 7:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
Don't flood the board with 2 defense creatures? Trade to clear his board, attack to wipe the secret and then play y our 6+ mana worth of new creatures still controlling the board?
Reply Quote
It's only aoe hunter got. It's needed card since hunter won't run reliable strong minons early game. Also you can play around secrets. Don't flood all of your crap minions against hunter.
Reply Quote
It's a consecrate that you get to trigger on your terms.

This means that you can slam your creatures into enemy minions before attacking him to trigger the trap. And do this before spending mana on your turn, so you can simply drop more creatures on the board afterward.

This means explosive trap is a far cry from being overpowered.
Edited by Cenerae on 1/24/2014 8:00 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/24/2014 07:36 AMPosted by Consilium
You know it's there and you have bunch of minion that's only 2 health and there is absolutely no way to mitigate that damage other than stop attacking

Or...buff your minions...

01/24/2014 07:41 AMPosted by kornpotties
I think i have read a thread describing why every single hunter card is op and unfair this is getting old

Yes, the whining is getting old.
Reply Quote
Learn to play against the various classes. Each one has a toolkit that you should be familiar with and know how to play around. Two things you should do for all the classes: look up all the cards by class either in-game via the crafting system or on a site like Hearthpwn.com and play as that class to get familiar with how they work.

For example, Hunters have Explosive Trap for the early game - don't flood the board with x/2 minions. They have Snipe - don't play a minion unless it's a throwaway minion or one with >4HP that can survive the hit. They have Multi-Shot for 4 mana - they can't use it unless you have 2 or more minions on the board so bait it out and if you have to play a second minion, consider also playing a third at the same time so your board is harder to wipe. They have Explosive Shot that does 5 damage to one minion and 2 damage to all others - again, don't flood the board unless you can bank on things surviving, bait it out if you can't bank on that. Etc, etc. These are things you have to get familiar with to get better at the game.
Edited by SilentCaay on 1/24/2014 8:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
With UTH I don't see why anyone would summon more than 2-3 minions against hunters right now, let alone a bunch of minions with less than 2 health at the same time.
Reply Quote
All secrets cost the same amount of mana so it's more difficult to guess which one is played.

If you think secrets are overpowered you should ask the Hunter I played last night who had three secrets out which never got triggered while Ragnaros sat and threw fireballs at his face.

This made me lol... it's so true, rag and other direct damage spells just DGAF at secrets hunters play.

secrets are far from OP, please stop the complaining, it is a big ridiculous
Reply Quote
I agree - Hunter ET is too powerful for the cost. I'd be happier if it was 3 mana and didn't hurt the hero. That or give more classes the ability (maybe a common card?) That gets rid of secrets.

The actual problem is that they game is either rush or agro there isn't another type of deck that can be built and win. Against a hunter deck non-hunter rush decks lose out on early game which is pretty much an auto loss.
Reply Quote
01/24/2014 07:36 AMPosted by Consilium
ou know it's there and you have bunch of minion that's only 2 health and there is absolutely no way to mitigate that damage other than stop attacking but that's no mitigating as well,

False statement

1) Buff minion health
2) Bounce minions
3) Trade minions into other minions
4) Plop a minion that benefits from your minion deaths

Plenty of ways to make a ExpT work in your favor, or at least, less in favor compared to a 2 damage AOE dealt during your opponents turn.

Edit: And I wouldn't be surprised if Blizz adds a "damage reduction" effect when they start adding cards. They already have similar mechanics in Immune, Hero Armor, and Commanding Shout.
Edited by Verdash on 2/14/2014 7:12 AM PST
Reply Quote
It is really funny how much you have to consider with Hunters since they can profit on every situation you present them.
You can't play 2 minions because Multshot.
You cant play 1 beefy guy because Deadly Shot.
You cant play 3 minions because UtH.
You can't play small minions because Explosive Trap.

Dont forget the other removal cards a Hunter can have like Arcane Shot/ Explosive Shot/ Kill Command/ Weapons/ Hunters Mark. Everyone complains Mages have too much removal.
Edited by Halp on 2/14/2014 9:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/14/2014 09:09 AMPosted by Halp
t is really funny how much you have to consider with Hunters since they can profit on every situation you present them.
You can't play 2 minions because Multshot.
You cant play 1 beefy guy because Deadly Shot.
You cant play 3 minions because UtH.
You can't play small minions because Explosive Trap.

2-3 beefy minions solves all of those problems.

Using your line of thinking, Mage:
You can't play 1 beefy minion because Poly, Fireball
You can't play 3 minions because Cone of Cold
You can't play 4+ minions because Flamestrike
You can't play small minions because Blizzard, Arcane Explosion
You can't literally play minions because Mirror Entity
You can't attack the face because Vaporize
You can't cast spells because Counterspell

Methinks, your problem is PEBKAC.
Reply Quote
02/14/2014 07:05 AMPosted by Kelyne
I agree - Hunter ET is too powerful for the cost. I'd be happier if it was 3 mana and didn't hurt the hero. That or give more classes the ability (maybe a common card?) That gets rid of secrets.

The actual problem is that they game is either rush or agro there isn't another type of deck that can be built and win. Against a hunter deck non-hunter rush decks lose out on early game which is pretty much an auto loss.

Hippys deck ain't pure aggro or rush ... Still. It made legendary, i myself is at rank 8 with a similary one

Rush vs rush ....... Best starting hand+first draws usually wins whatever class it is
Reply Quote
02/14/2014 10:43 AMPosted by Verdash
2-3 beefy minions solves all of those problems.

Using your line of thinking, Mage:
You can't play 1 beefy minion because Poly, Fireball
You can't play 3 minions because Cone of Cold
You can't play 4+ minions because Flamestrike
You can't play small minions because Blizzard, Arcane Explosion
You can't literally play minions because Mirror Entity
You can't attack the face because Vaporize
You can't cast spells because Counterspell

Methinks, your problem is PEBKAC.

Can you drop 2-3 beefy minions in one turn? No, only one by one. Drop one == deadly shot, Unless you are at turn 8 where you can drop two Yetis, at which point you've probably taken too much damage already and it's a lost cause.

What mage runs Cone of Cold? What mage runs Cone of Cold and Blizzard along side Flamestrike for that matter?

Hunters can effectively run all of their removal and be fine with being unable to drop minions the first few turns because Steady Shot will be doing a lot of damage to you over a few turns. They can live on Eaglehorn Bow + Steady Shot alone, that's 5 damage per turn. You're forced to gamble with dropping either a beefy minion hoping that he hasn't drawn Deadly Shot, or drop multiple minions and hoping he doesn't have AoE or UtH combo (which I highly doubt past turn 4)

Again my point on your mage "argument" still stands, "What mage runs Cone of Cold? What mage runs Cone of Cold and Blizzard along side Flamestrike for that matter?"
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]