Violet Paw: The deck that took me to Legend

Here's a deck I can only recommend to everyone playing Druid. I climbed to legendary with this deck, having started only a few days before the open beta. A bonus is that, while this deck has some legendaries in it, none of them are super important and it can be built entirely without them.

At the core of the deck are eight cards that are different from most other Druid builds:

2 Violet Teacher
2 Gadgetzan Auctioneer
2 Moonfire
2 Power of the Wild

Violet Teacher gives you a 1/1 token whenever you play a spell, and you get that token before the spell effect occurs. That means, if you go "Violet Teacher, Coin, Innervate, Claw your opponent's guy, Power of the Wild" on turn 4, you'll be left with a 4/6 and four 2/2s. Moonfire is really good right now, and is the reason why this deck still has a good matchup against Hunter despite it not playing any taunts. It cycles with Gadgetzan Auctioneer, so it's never a dead card.

To make room for these, we cut any Chillwind Yetis, Druid of the Claws, and all of the legendaries except for Ragnaros and Bloodmage Thalnos.

I don't get why anyone is playing Chillwind Yeti. Violet Teacher is an infinitely better card in Druid decks, even without the combos in this particular build.

What if they have AOE?
Well, sometimes they don't, and then you just win. Most Druid decks for example play only one Starfall, which is the only card that can answer the 2/2 tokens when you make the play mentioned above (save for Innervate, Thalnos, Swipe). At that point your opponent will have seen about 8-9 cards, of which 5-6 he or she drew. So, the chance of your opponent having it are about 20-25% as he or she would surely mulligan the Starfall away. Pretty good chances.

You'll also learn to play around possible AOE. You don't have to go all in all the time. You can bait out AOE, then combo again. Sometimes it's correct to just shove everything to generate extra tokens, sometimes it's correct to play more conservatively.

What's important is to never stop playing threats at this point. Trade away the tokens and replace them with bigger creatures, such as Azure Drakes, Ancient of Lores and/or legendaries. The game completely switches "Who is beatdown?" at this point.

Here's my decklist:
2 Innervate
2 Moonfire
2 Claw
2 Wrath
2 Loot Hoarder
2 Power of the Wild
1 Bloodmage Thalnos
2 Harvest Golem
2 Violet Teacher
2 Swipe
2 Keeper of the Grove
1 Bite
1 Starfall
2 Gadgetzan Auctioneer
2 Azure Drake
2 Ancient of Lore
1 Ragnaros, the Firelord

Updated decklist:
2 Innervate
2 Moonfire
2 Claw
2 Wrath
2 Wild Growth
2 Power of the Wild
1 Bloodmage Thalnos
2 Harvest Golem
2 Violet Teacher
2 Swipe
2 Keeper of the Grove
1 Bite
2 Gadgetzan Auctioneer
2 Azure Drake
2 Ancient of Lore
1 Ysera
1 Cenarius

Matchups:
These are roughly my matchup win percentages with this deck. (EDIT: Outdated!)

Hunter 80%
Warlock (Aggro) 70%
Rogue 70%
Druid 70%
Warrior 50%
Shaman 50%
Paladin <50%
Warlock (Control) 20%
Mage ?
Priest ?

No Savage Roar?
I don't feel like this card is necessary. Now the high level players all start using it in their normal builds, so I could very well be wrong.

So, try out this deck, it's really, really good. Violet Teacher + Power of the Wild certainly isn't a completely new idea, but I've never played against a similar deck, so what's the deal? I'm certain my build isn't 100% optimal either and it can be improved even further.
Edited by Antares on 3/29/2014 7:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
did you get most of your cards from buying packs or aare you 100% f2p
Reply Quote
I like it, very early in the closed beta I was playing violet in every mage/driud decks. I always felt that its a very strong card.

A few questions though:

Is 2x auctioneer necessary?

Why not Soul of Forest nor Centarius?

This deck seems like it will die to strong control decks with board clear built in. (Hellfire, Holy nova, consecrate, Flame strike) If you don't go all in mid game, how do you handle late game against warlock control / paladin control / priest?
Reply Quote
01/27/2014 12:58 PMPosted by Fishball
did you get most of your cards from buying packs or aare you 100% f2p

I bought packs to craft the base of the deck. I got the rest from playing. I wanted to start right away with a good constructed deck.

01/27/2014 01:16 PMPosted by Istarilight
Is 2x auctioneer necessary?

I think so. Otherwise you can't justify playing 2 Moonfire.

Why not Soul of Forest nor Centarius?

Cenarius is definitely something to try out. I currently have dust to create one more legendary, and I'm uncertain whether I should craft Tinkmaster Overspark or Cenarius. I tried Soul of the Forest before and I didn't like it. You have to wait until your next turn to cast it most of the time, and then it's most likely too late.

This deck seems like it will die to strong control decks with board clear built in. (Hellfire, Holy nova, consecrate, Flame strike) If you don't go all in mid game, how do you handle late game against warlock control / paladin control / priest?

These classes are probably the worst matchups. Fortunately, they aren't very strong in the current meta. The control warlock matchup most likely isn't salvageable, but the others aren't too bad I think (although I have like no data at all about Priest). You still have Ragnaros, the Ancient of Lores, Drakes etc. and Violet Teachers are still a Sen'jin Shieldmasta at worst. It actually has a very high threat density.
Edited by Antares on 1/27/2014 1:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
HAHA, just destroyed this hunter with this deck.

I was able to coin out a voilet on turn 3.
Then Innervate + acutioner + moonfire + claw into 3 tokens and a teacher/auctioner.
Next turn into a harvest + power of the wild to bring him into swipe range next turn and I had pretty much a full hand.

Happy with my first time trying it. I might want to get a tinkmaster in somehow but maybe not.
Reply Quote
I'm guessing you haven't missed having any taunts in your deck. I'm trying to find that sweet spot where I can cut taunts down without feeling defenseless.

The Force of Nature plus Savage Roar combo is just awesome, and I'll probably keep running that until it just doesn't do work anymore, but maybe I can work a combo with Violet Teacher together.
Reply Quote
01/27/2014 02:13 PMPosted by Skaith
HAHA, just destroyed this hunter with this deck.

You have to keep in mind Unleash the Hounds though. I would play more conservatively against Hunter. Glad you're having fun with it.

01/27/2014 02:17 PMPosted by Battlecrow
I'm guessing you haven't missed having any taunts in your deck. I'm trying to find that sweet spot where I can cut taunts down without feeling defenseless.

I find Hunter to be one of the easiest matchups, so I didn't feel the need to put in any taunts. But there's this new Warrior aggro deck popping up that's able to do a lot more damage, so that may need to be reconsidered. You could cut an Azure Drake for a Druid. Alternatively, you could try to fit in Healing Touches.
Edited by Antares on 1/27/2014 2:42 PM PST
Reply Quote
@Antares.

I'm always cautious of Unleash the hounds, and in fact he did run it. The fact was, I was giving him 5 minions on turn 5. he played an explosive shot to kill auctioneer and 1 token. After my next turn he was down to 7 and only had 6 mana. Which meant leeroy + UTH and I was at 28 life.

He did exactly that and pretty much did 12 damage. If I was under 20 or even low 20s I wouldn't have been so aggressive.

That said, I think I understand how to play your deck. Rag doesn't really fit, I think you just have it in because it's a good card. I actually think Cenarius might be a better fit synergize wise...... That said, my victories so far I haven't needed to use Rag yet. Also, this deck has no answer to a faceless manip or a mind controlled rag. Where as if they stole a Cenarius, it wouldn't be as bad. Just my 2 cents.

Regardless I havn't changed your deck, and my own deck has gotten me to rank 7 so far. So who am I to judge a legendary player :)
Reply Quote
These are fair points. I like Ragnaros just as the last nail in your opponent's coffin after you have exhausted all your other resources, but Cenarius could be better. As I've said, card availability is still an issue for me. Why don't you try him out and tell me how it plays?
Reply Quote
01/27/2014 03:11 PMPosted by Antares
These are fair points. I like Ragnaros just as the last nail in your opponent's coffin after you have exhausted all your other resources, but Cenarius could be better. As I've said, card availability is still an issue for me. Why don't you try him out and tell me how it plays?

I will. Let me know if you have any other ideas, I have almost all legendaries and epics. I'll try this deck some more later tonight. But also, Rag isn't a bad legendary and can be the closer you might need.
Reply Quote
I'd been using Violet Teacher, myself, though with Soul of the Forest (one of my favorite cards in the druid deck). Might try your deck out (with some modifications, particularly since I have neither of those legendaries) as soon as I get some Auctioneers. :P
Reply Quote
Got any tips or advice against classes and also what to mulligan for?

Played a few games with some additions from your deck. Seems like it has potential, but I have to learn it a bit. I just played my Violet Teacher and her spawns right into the hands of a UtH hunter and got myself ran over.
Reply Quote
Sorry, I just wrote a lengthy response and the forum ate it. Just when you thought you didn't have to save before submitting anymore because that no longer happens...

Short version: Against Hunters, I avoid playing the Violet Teacher. The matchup is still super easy. Just keep no more than 2-3 minions on the board, keep your health as high as possible, and use your excess burn at the Hunter himself. I look for Innervate, Moonfire, Claw, Wrath, Loot Hoarder, Harvest Golem, and Bite in the opening hand. I keep Ancient of Lore if the other two cards are already what I'm looking for.

I mulligan Moonfire and Bite against all other classes. I look for Violet Teacher, Innervate and Power of the Wild in my opening hand. If my hand contains neither of those cards, I tend to mulligan more cards.
Edited by Antares on 1/27/2014 8:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
So I ran your deck and so far I have yet to loose. 12 games in a row, 12 wins. my wins are

1 mage
2 rogue
2 hunter
1 warrior
1 druid
1 shaman
2 warlock
2 pally

I know these are small statistics, but I can generally get a feel for the deck in 10 games. Rag vs Cenarius is a toss up. Both were great at different times. My concern for rag is when you face a priest and it gets MC. I have yet to play a priest. HOWEVER, Rag can bring you back from behind. I did get some favorable RNG shots in. Like Rag hitting the druid cenerius when I had no other way to deal with it.

I was trying to make a minion swarm druid deck, but could never get one over a 50% ish win rate. I tried minions that spawn others, soul of the forest, savage roar, onyxia, etc.... I have to say violet + Auctioneer is pretty sweet. And finally a real home for our Moonfire spell which gets over looked so much.

Some tips

Always place Violet teacher on the left, and auctioneer on the right. As you cast spells, tokens will be created in the middle. Explosive shot really hurts hunters and betrayel rogues when tokens are in the middle. and if you can get 2 in the middle, you can avoid all your guys getting cone of cold.

Edit: For those that don't have rag, I would replace his spot with a savage roar. If you can get 4 minions (including tokens on the board, that roar is going to give you +10 damage to the damage already on the board, and synergizes well with violet teacher (creating another token), and drawing a card with auctioneer.

Even though I own almost all the legendaries in the game, this deck def holds up to Strifeco's famous druid deck. I run both with great success. This is def the cheaper option for druids just starting out. And if you craft cards like auctioneer, you can also make a card cycle deck using him with rogue as well.
Edited by Skaith on 1/27/2014 9:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
Certainly an interesting deck, but I´m not much of a fan of overflowing the board. It often blows up in your face.
Reply Quote
Fun deck Antares. I went 6-1 yesterday with the best 4th turn pay being Violet, innervate, moonfire and power of the wild. The game I lost I got board wiped twice by a paladin deck with a true silver out as well so it was bad news bears.

Overall fun deck but I did make some changes. I dropped the 2 Loot Hoarders for a Nat Pagle and a Cenarius.

Trying to get my Druid to 60 so I have 5 Druid decks constructed to run with this weekend and yours will definitely stay in the mix for awhile.

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 04:10 AMPosted by Uvirith
Certainly an interesting deck, but I´m not much of a fan of overflowing the board. It often blows up in your face.

Well, there are times you want small minions and not. low amount of big minions can be a problem agaisnt priests sometimes, and maybe too slow for agro decks. The thing about this deck though, is that the violet teacher is nice, but to crucial. You still have your typical Druid spells, + ancient of lore , rag, golumns, thalnos, drakes, auctioneer.

if anything, auctioneer is the star of this deck. I've cycled down to maybe 3 to 4 cards remaining in my deck in most games. Violet teacher is great, but not the "win" condition. Heck I had her out and was using spells clearing minions agaisnt a mage and making tokens. I had maybe 5 or 6 tokens when he wasted his flamestrike. Sure I lost the tokens but he used a 7 cost flamestrike to basically kill my 4 drop violet teacher.
Reply Quote
how would you deal with field wipes like consecration and the likes
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 07:44 PMPosted by Fishball
how would you deal with field wipes like consecration and the likes

Fishball, Consecration isn't a board wipe. It does two damage. Unless the paladin combos it with Equality, that won't kill the token maker in the violet teacher or the Auctioneer. Because of the auctioneer, he will have a good hand to restart if his tokens are killed. Plus, he has Ragnaros, Ancient of Lore and Azure Drake that all easily survive the Consecration.
Reply Quote
Most players don't play that much AOE spells right now. If more swarm decks are in the meta, this deck will of course suffer from it. Also, your opponent doesn't know that he has to hold on to his AOE: The shaman I've played against wasted their Lightning Storms on only a few of my minions because they thought it wouldn't be that useful anyway.

01/28/2014 05:56 AMPosted by CaptainCarl
Fun deck Antares. I went 6-1 yesterday with the best 4th turn pay being Violet, innervate, moonfire and power of the wild. The game I lost I got board wiped twice by a paladin deck with a true silver out as well so it was bad news bears.

That's pretty good. I've had a bad run just now and wasn't able to pull that off in any game at all :(.

01/28/2014 05:56 AMPosted by CaptainCarl
Overall fun deck but I did make some changes. I dropped the 2 Loot Hoarders for a Nat Pagle and a Cenarius.

Seems reasonable. I don't think Nat Pagle is at his best in this deck because you don't want to have to defend him and rather keep your resources, but he's still very good.
Edited by Antares on 1/29/2014 1:16 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]