Violet Paw: The deck that took me to Legend

I'm just asking because I don't have Ysera and Cenarius (or other legendaries) ^_^;
Reply Quote
Great deck Antares, it's a lot of fun!

Others, if you're missing cards, I've seen some success using Questing Adventurer or even Imp Master.

I'm currently running a more spell-heavy version of this deck that ends with Malygos. If you don't get a sufficient opportunity to Moonfire early, Moonfire makes for a great 0 cost Fireball with Malygos down.

Antares, what would you suggest to substitute for Ancient of Lore or Keeper?

Cheers!
Reply Quote
02/10/2014 05:02 PMPosted by Stu
Antares, what would you suggest to substitute for Ancient of Lore or Keeper?

Not my deck, but I've played Paw quite a lot now (and Druid decks of my own creation, of course). I'd argue that Ancient of Lore is probably the best card Druid has, and you'd be hard pressed to find a replacement.

Paw does have a lot of draw potential, but Lore is definite 2 card draw or heal which, in this rush meta, can be pretty vital.

I wouldn't touch the Keepers, either. Another fantastic staple in every Druid deck. If you had to remove these two cards, or you just don't own them, I'd suggest adding some taunt in there. I have drawn out of cards a few times now without having any remaining power to finish the match, some taunt would protect Teachers and stall rush.
Reply Quote
Can you clarify your question? Do you want to take out the AoLs and Keepers or add them? For card availability reasons or others? In general, I'd second what Pokey said.

I definitely want to try out Malygos in this deck should I own him at some point.
Edited by Antares on 2/10/2014 5:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
Pokey, Antares, thank you for the responses. Sorry to be unclear.

I don't have any Lores, nor dust for them, and only 1 x Keeper.

I was more so interested in understanding what role the Lore played in this deck and what I could possibly substitute until I get them / craft them.

The Taunt suggestion is good advice. I am using a Druid of the Claw for the option. I ran this deck for awhile with an Ironbark but thought that it came too late.

Antares, Malygos is a good bit of fun. It may be situational and cost 3 cards but Malygos + 2 x Moonfire is an unexpected finisher.
Reply Quote
Reasonably new player here... been playing a druid deck mostly after I realized mage was ... I won't say OP or UP because there are a billion threads for every class that say that - let me just say, this game is a LOT more fun on "offense" than "defense".

I'm short a Cenarius, but meh... as you say he's not essential.

Here's the noob question: What specifically do folks mean by "control" decks? As in control the number of minions you put out? Or is it something more meta like they control the pace of the game? Or is it they control your actions with their style of play?

Just curious as I'm relatively new to this and haven't played any other games like it except MTG and that was 20 years ago... ( I R teh OLD :) )
Reply Quote
@Stu: Most important is that you fine tune your card draw. If you start from my current list with 2x Wild Growth, the Ancient of Lores are essential to make up for the card disadvantage. I would play 1x Nourish (but not 2) if you're not playing the Ancients. The most obvious replacement for Keeper would be Spellbreaker, but replacing it with a Keeper should be a high priority because it's a much better card. You can also try 1x Naturalize. It's actually reasonable in this deck.

@Escher26: In general, decks that are more on the faster side are called "aggro" decks, while slow decks that are more powerful in the late game are called "control" decks. Once a control deck has the game under control, winning is a trivial task that doesn't require much thought in deck construction. For example, in Magic there's currently a card called Sphinx's Revelation, which draws you X cards and gains you X life, where X is the amount of mana you spend. Casting this spell for large amounts of mana puts you so far ahead of your opponent that this card can be reasonably called the win condition of control decks, although it does not win the game by itself. However, in Hearthstone it's very unlikely that you're able to prevent your opponent from killing you indefinitely and you can't lock the game up with counterspells and such, so control deck is a bit of a misnomer in Hearthstone as they don't actually exist in a strict sense. But the term is still used to describe decks that have win conditions in the late game and spend the early game trying to survive. The middle ground between aggro and control decks are "midrange" decks. The "Violet Paw" is somewhere between midrange and control.
Edited by Antares on 2/11/2014 3:24 AM PST
Reply Quote
Had the most amazing draw yesterday. Was playing against Aggro Warlock, so there was no fear of a sweeper.

Turn 1: Pass.
Turn 2: Wild Growth.
Turn 3: Violet Teacher, Moonfire a 2/1, Innervate, Power of the Wild.
Turn 4: Harvest Golem, Power of the Wild

Hand empty, 19 power on the board.
Reply Quote
@anteres - thanks for the explanation, that's about what I figured it was - control the pace of the game, wait for the fireballs... ;)

Not a stellar first night for me with this deck (I say night, it's night in China at least)... I racked up four wins in a row thinking THIS IS EASY! Then... well, Paladins, Priests, and Warlocks all owned me a like the brand new player I am... heh. I will say that I made a few mistakes that I learned from - so, on balance a good learning experience.

Still don't have a Cenarius, but I've got 840 dust so far... (Must not... buy... another... 40 packs... :) )

Most of my losses, I never saw the combo - as it I never had violet out with any regularity... I DID beat a Mage by forcing her to use both of her Flamestrikes on two consecutive turns... that was satisfying. Especially as she used both her fireballs on minions as well. She did get me with a 12 shot (whatever the big fireball is called) but by that point I had 30 life and 6 armor.

Fun deck, and thanks again for the advice. I really wish there was some kind of in game chat - I'd like to be able to discuss strategy with my opponents... maybe when the game hits release?

Anyway, off to bed.

-Escher
Reply Quote
There is in-game chat, if you add people to your friend list. That being said, you and they would both have to agree on being each other's friend to discuss strategy.

I'm going to try making this deck myself now, seeing that it might still give me some wins, and that it's more variety so I'm not playing the same, currently 2 druid decks that I have. Druid's my main, but variety is still nice.
Reply Quote
02/11/2014 07:41 AMPosted by Drakarnisk
There is in-game chat, if you add people to your friend list. That being said, you and they would both have to agree on being each other's friend to discuss strategy.

I'm going to try making this deck myself now, seeing that it might still give me some wins, and that it's more variety so I'm not playing the same, currently 2 druid decks that I have. Druid's my main, but variety is still nice.

Especially when you're trying to get all his golden basic cards. So very boring.
Reply Quote
02/11/2014 07:43 AMPosted by Pokey

Especially when you're trying to get all his golden basic cards. So very boring.

Yeah I am not sure how much I can power through games to reach 60 with my Druid to unlock all the gold cards let alone another class! Perhaps I will reach 60 this month but who knows.

Thanks to these forums I have 5 Druid decks that I have copied card for card and 3 Druid decks of my own for some variety. My only fear is when I reach 60 my motivation to continue to play Druid will be diminished. If that happens I think I'm going to level my Warrior/Rogue and play Pirates all day errr day...ARRRGH me mateys!

Cheers,
CC-
Reply Quote
02/11/2014 03:23 AMPosted by Antares
@Stu: Most important is that you fine tune your card draw. If you start from my current list with 2x Wild Growth, the Ancient of Lores are essential to make up for the card disadvantage. I would play 1x Nourish (but not 2) if you're not playing the Ancients. The most obvious replacement for Keeper would be Spellbreaker, but replacing it with a Keeper should be a high priority because it's a much better card. You can also try 1x Naturalize. It's actually reasonable in this deck.

Great tips! Thanks! I'll try mixing in Spellbreaker, Nourish, and/or Naturalize.
Reply Quote
How are you getting these win ratios?

This deck doesn't perform the way you say it does.

You can only pull off the combo about 20% of the time.
Edited by Zoids62 on 2/11/2014 12:17 PM PST
Reply Quote
This deck is a "combo" deck but it has already been said that the range it aims for is midgame to control. There are more combos than violet teacher followed by "omg moonfire tyme guiz".

There is NO one combo that this deck is aiming for besides generating card advantage due to interactions between everything in this deck and the ability to gain board control using that.

This deck is viable once you get past looking for single combos to win you the game. This is not a miracle rogue or OTK warrior/hunter deck.

As to the creator of this deck, this is awesome. I'm having a blast with this deck. I am also doing very well against control paladin right now because many of them do not seem to see this coming. I got the same guy 3 games in a row and only the first one was close. Every game I can find a different way to attack my opponent.

This post is in regards to people saying they either A) can't figure this out or B) it sucks.
Edited by PsiXSpider on 2/11/2014 3:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/11/2014 07:41 AMPosted by Drakarnisk

I've yet to find anyone on this forums who plays in the European region. Seems like no one playing here wants to be added. They just refuse any friend requests.
Reply Quote
@SangHee:

I do play on EU and would be glad to have someone to play and chat with. If you don't mind, add me when your on the next time.

@ topic (Antares):

I do not have a Cenarius as well. How about using those two giants I have that get cheaper depending on the minions on board and cards in hand? Since both might come pretty cheap with this deck I was thinking about them as substitute for Rag (maybe its stupid, but I just don't like this guy!)
Reply Quote
Yeah, Rag is the other legend I don't yet have to complete the deck... I've put the two heals into the deck to hold the places till I get them.

Anyone who is running this deck and would be willing to offer strategy or just visit and discuss the game is welcome to add me to their friends list. I am currently a school teacher in Dalian China, so I'm on during the evenings here which is pretty much the middle of the night in the States. I am on the N.A. server though.

-Escher
Reply Quote
02/11/2014 10:34 PMPosted by Bendhuin
@ topic (Antares):

I do not have a Cenarius as well. How about using those two giants I have that get cheaper depending on the minions on board and cards in hand? Since both might come pretty cheap with this deck I was thinking about them as substitute for Rag (maybe its stupid, but I just don't like this guy!)

I also tried out Sea Giants a while back. There was a lot of Paladin control at that time so they weren't good at all because you had to overextend. But since they're not a big part of the meta right now, I think Sea Giants worth giving a try again.
Edited by Antares on 2/12/2014 5:28 AM PST
Reply Quote
Great deck! thx trying this in casual having alot of fun! (id/c about rank or casual, im just bored with my other decks, it's so repettetive... this deck is somthing fresh for a change)

Not a hunter rush, warrior rush, pally rush/control, mage troll, or any of the common !@#$...

I call this MIRACLE DRUID! seriourly tunneling cards with auctioner at the end game with ysera's 0 cost cards is such fun...

im doing this with minor twitchs, I play with ysera rag and cenarius all 3 of them hardly see day light in 50% of the fights, but in the other 50% all 3 of them proven victory cards.

but it does seem like im having lack of starting punch, also the tokens dies so easily to a swipe if i cant combo it :/

though having seen the force of nature combo's i think its the same just harder :x

STILL a blast though!
this is what im running:

2 moonfire
2 innervate
2 wild growth
2 claw
2 wrath
2 harvest golem
1 tinkmaster overspark (idk if he's really doing anything most of the times, but its allways good to have it i guess)
2 swipe
1 keeper of grove ( ithink i should craft another 1)
2 violet teacher
1 nourish
1 starfall
2 auctioner
2 starfire
1 ancient of lore
1 ragnaros
1 ysera
1 cenarius.

intresting enough im finding myself "Maging" people to death (I just use swipe and starfire at their face it packs quite a punch :o)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]