[RATE] Mage budget newbie build

http://i.imgur.com/GrZWwbH.jpg

What should I change when I can?
Reply Quote
You should change where you post that question.

Hint: There is a Mage forum.
Reply Quote
remove - Worgen / Spellbreaker / Dark Iron Drawf

may remove - Shattered sun cleric
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 11:07 AMPosted by Altima

What cards would you suggest? I've based my choices on this list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AifXEOqTcGcLdFVvWk1GRjVJTHJUaTVLcGViR1RRTFE&gid=15
Edited by dubthor on 1/28/2014 11:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
I would drop 1 flamestrike, replace it with a leper gnome imo. Your mana curve is a bit on the heavier side, you lack draw power, I would replace 1 Poly and 1 Spellbreaker with Loot Hoarders/Ne/Arcane Intellect. Although I don't like Arcane intellect, personal preference, I favor LHs.

I ran a similar, more expensive aggro mage, but the components were the same. You lack a strong early game, especially for an aggro mage. I also would change worgens for mirror image, but that's completely up to you
Edited by Rest on 1/28/2014 11:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/28/2014 11:09 AMPosted by dubthor

What cards would you suggest? I've based my choices on this list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AifXEOqTcGcLdFVvWk1GRjVJTHJUaTVLcGViR1RRTFE&gid=15

That list is for Arena draft. There is nothing to do with Ranked match.

I haven't touch mage aggro for quite sometimes

Suggest - Mana Wrym / Agent Squire / Fairy Dragon / Cone of Cold / Azure Drake / Socerrer Apprentic / Acolyte of pain / Raging Worgen
Reply Quote
This feels strange, it isn't aggro as somebody said. It's a control-ish mid-range deck based on beefy 4-drops. The strangest thing about it is that it's only "card draw" is skipping playing cards early on, but on the other hand the deck has a lot of 1-drops that's sole purpose is slowing down the opponents on the first 3 turns - that is scary, because too many of those in hand will kill you.

This might work if you know what you are doing. For example the Infiltrator is for killing minions and not pushing the damage. Lepper gnome is for making the opponent waste their turn 2 on removal of something insignificant. Missiles are a turn 3 play against a board with 2 2-or-less health minions. The shattered sun comes in not sooner than turn 5, it might be a 3-drop if you coin out the golem, but I feel this deck saves the coin for later, as it has no card draw. This will have no chance against aggressive openings like Warlocks (especially Murlok) and some Warriors tend to do and steady late-game of Pally, Druid and even Priest. Hunters with deadly shot feel like a nightmare here - they basically deny you any board presence until turn 6-7 - at least, and by then against a Hunter you're basically or literally dead. 4 drops by themselves can't save you if the board gets out of hand early on, and they loose the late-game to big stuff and combos.

I'm very iffy on the Spellbreakers, as you're carrying 2 Polymorphs, and SBs die to 2-drops, so even if you silence a minion on turn 4, you're leaving a minion that can out-right kill the Spellbender. As the SBs are basically support/removal and the Argents, Fireballs and Flamestrikes are even more removal, I would replace the SBs with 2 Earthen Ring Farseers. At Worst they can be a decent 3-drop, later on they help you either sustain yourself or your beefy minions that heal works great on.

Though on the other hand this deck will often play from behind, so you need a considerable amount of removal just to have the comfort of drawing into it.

All in all I would try to fit in at least one Stormwind Champion (or what's his name, the 7-drop 6/6 with +1/+1 all-round buff) to make your late game more viable. The Shattered Sun isn't all that great here - as I've mentioned, it enters the game late, so it's no less of a dead card early on than the Stormwind. I would try replacing those with 1 or 2 Stormwinds. It is a bit slower, but feels better value of a card and since you don't run card draw, card value is extremely important.

If the removals feel like an overkill most of the time, try Azure Drakes or - if you can't afford those - the Naga Healers (or what's their name, the 5-drop 4/5 +2 all-round heal) or Archmages. Also 1 A-Bomb (Abomination - don't know how much you're into the game, as you're calling yourself a newbie) could take the place of a Yeti or Senjin - it makes a huge difference as your minions don't die to it and at least some of his probably will, also against a late-game deck A-bomb should help you get big scary stuff in Flamestrike / Argent / Fireball range.

EDIT:
Yes, this is based on an arena ranking of cards, but budget newbie decks should be made like that, because you just don't have all the essential cards for making combo decks. Brute force decks are viable (to some point) in constructed as long as they are well thought and played to they strengths.
Edited by AJAvalanche on 1/29/2014 4:32 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]