Priests are weak?

Uhm i really want to discuss this topic
All i hear on the forum is priests are weak in the current patch due to nerfs to MC
I disagree the reason is : priests have 4 removals which is actually really good 2 AoE heals/damage
and generally can combo their healing.
So i am asking why is the priest deck weak?
Reply Quote
Inner Fire combo is unreliable (too many cards involved).
No hard removals. SWs are useless against a lot of good minions (Azure/Twilight Drake, Yeti, Argent commander, Carne, Shieldmasta +1/+1 ...) And often stay dead in hand.

Right now, the early game is very important (<turn7) and Priest sucks at it. No good minions and unusable hero power.
Reply Quote
priest isn't weak, forums are just full of scrubs complaining instead of playing.
Reply Quote
No hard removals. SWs are useless against a lot of good minions (Azure/Twilight Drake, Yeti, Argent commander, Carne, Shieldmasta +1/+1 ...) And often stay dead in hand.

Right now, the early game is very important (<turn7) and Priest sucks at it. No good minions and unusable hero power.

what if i play an aggro priest deck focusing on buffing faerie dragons and generally just try to stay alive til late where i ll prolly dominate
Reply Quote
You cant buff Faerie Dragons
Reply Quote
Make Shadowform 2 mana and I might have a better time surviving early game.

As it stands now at 3 mana I won't be able to start using it until 3rd turn at earliest(if I go 2nd I can coin it out on 2nd turn), I'm usually already behind on keeping minions in check by then.

If I don't pull some SW:P's or a SM early game, I'll die to weenies pretty much everytime. Holy nova is 5 mana and Soulpriest/Circle requires me to have both cards in hand.

Then turn 4+ rolls around and the 4 power drops start raining down and I just shake my head and pray I get a Soulpriest combo reaaaaaal soon or I'll be dead in the next 2-3 turns easy.
Reply Quote
01/30/2014 11:51 AMPosted by vexew
You cant buff Faerie Dragons

ofc you can with these minions that give you 1/1 dont remember their name
Reply Quote
01/30/2014 11:18 AMPosted by metaStatic
priest isn't weak, forums are just full of scrubs complaining instead of playing.

Projection? Almost all Pro players agree Priest is the weakest or one of the weakest classes, the only ones saying they are strong are scrubs like you who keep losing to IF-Lightwell-DS combo.

There two main weaknesses of Priest:

1) Too many "combo" or janky cards taking up slots. Who the hell uses silence when for 2 mana you can have a 2/1 creature as well, or for 3 mana you can draw a card? Shadow form, mind games, mind vision, mind blast, even cabal shadow priest are all cards that require a lot of luck. When you cabal a harvest golem or mind game a Tirion, it's definitely gamebreaking but the odds of that happening are way too low, and because of these cards the Priest I think is the only class without both secrets and weapons. I mean, I guess Druids also don't have weaps but they have cards like claw which are basically weaps anyway.

2) 4 attack minions. Priest is the only one with this problem, for some reason the only removal they have of killing 4 attack minions is Holy Fire, if the enemy can put down 2 Yetis on turn 4 and 5 or turn 3-4 with coin you're basically dead. Other classes can combine their removal, for example Mages can use Frost bolt and magic missile to kill a 4 attack minion, Priests have situational cards so they end up with dead cards for removal, so really while the Priest removal cards look good they aren't as useful as they when you're actually playing them. So many 4 attack minions out there it's ridiculous, when the Druids put down a 4/6 druid of the claw I almost always lose unless I had massive board control before it hit or was able to draw a legendary.
Reply Quote
so you suggest they get buffed?
I mean priests can actually carry you to rank 10 or so with just basic cards but after that things become tough from what i ve heard priests need a buff but still i love priests and i wont stop playing them maybe the meta will change
Reply Quote
01/30/2014 12:45 PMPosted by katz23
I mean priests can actually carry you to rank 10 or so with just basic cards but after that things become tough from what i ve heard priests need a buff but still i love priests and i wont stop playing them maybe the meta will change

No they can't carry you to rank 10, by the time you reach rank 15 you will start losing unless you have legendaries on your deck. Most guys who main Priest do it just for the style points, whether you're building an aggro, spell focused or control deck other classes can do it much, much better. Pro players themselves say not everyone can reach legendary with just Priest, that's how bad Priests are.
Reply Quote
01/30/2014 01:01 PMPosted by roslolian

No they can't carry you to rank 10, by the time you reach rank 15 you will start losing unless you have legendaries on your deck. Most guys who main Priest do it just for the style points, whether you're building an aggro, spell focused or control deck other classes can do it much, much better. Pro players themselves say not everyone can reach legendary with just Priest, that's how bad Priests are.

then whats all these posts saying about what they ve managed with basic priest cards? or generally priest decks
Reply Quote
Priest are weak against agro/rush. Thats why most people say they are weak. So really it depends on the meta. In which the meta has been agro for quite some time now. I believe they are the kings of control at this point in time, only rivaled by druid.

What people are saying with the basic cards is that priest are the best starting class because it offers the best starting cards.

As far as ranking to 10, ya it can be done. Rank 10 and below is pretty brutal. Thats where you will meet the most cookie cutter decks. So if you can adjust to the meta with the basics its possible.
Reply Quote
I agree.

Priest is a great starting class for Newbies, but when you climb the ladder, is very difficult to level up your rank, much more difficult than other heroes like Druid, Shaman, lock or paladin.

It's very hard to pass Rank 10 with Priest.
Reply Quote

http://www.arenamastery.com/sitewide.php

Statistically, according to Arena stats, Priests are currently the weakest class in Hearthstone.
Reply Quote

It is weak, you know when the last time a priest deck has been seen in a tournament was? Like 4 months ago. With the hunter buff Priest is now officially the weakest class in the game. It's never seen in tournaments and it's very rarely seen at high rank play. Only clueless !@#$ters complain about priests on these forums.
Reply Quote
01/30/2014 10:38 AMPosted by katz23
Uhm i really want to discuss this topic
All i hear on the forum is priests are weak in the current patch due to nerfs to MC
I disagree the reason is : priests have 4 removals which is actually really good 2 AoE heals/damage
and generally can combo their healing.
So i am asking why is the priest deck weak?

There are 2 problems in my point of view.

The first one is that Priest's Cards relie on Combos most of time and need to involve a lot of cards in your deck. So if one of the cards is missing your combo doesnt work properly. And I'm even not talking about silence which can break your 3 cards combo.
Divine Spirit + Inner Fire + 1 Unit -> 3 cards
Auchenai + Circle -> Your Auchenai Priest is almost dead with only 1 HP and you can't heal your units anymore.

The second thing are the removals. They are almost all situational. SW PAIN only under 3 ATQ, SW Death only above 5. Cabal only under 2 ATQ, Shadow Madness under 3 ATQ . So most of the time you are put in situation where your hand is full of cards and your removals are useless because of course your opposent is only playing 4 ATQ cards. The 2 only cards that can be used in every situation are Nova and MC but they cost 5 and 10 mana, which is very late. The only spell that can work every time in earlygame for a low cost is Smite.

Most of the time there are 2 situations that can save other heroes that Priest doesn't have :

1 - Your removal can be used at any time on every minion :
For exemple :
- Shaman : his removals can work on every situation for a very low mana cost, of course there is the overload but at least in the proper time you can clean the board.
- Hunter : Hunter's Mark, arcane Shots and so on.. + Traps.
- Warlock : got Soulfire, Drain life, Demonfire, Shadowbolt. There are no conditions to use these blasts.
- Druid : Moonfire, Wrath, Swipe, Hero ability + Claws
- Mage : Arcane Missiles, FrostBolt, ArcaneExmplosion, Fireall, FlameStrike, Blizzard

2 - Class who got minions that can remove or debuff minions and stay on the board :
- Paladin : Aldor Peacekeeper for exemple. They debuff minions and put at the same time a minion on the board without any condition. It's like playing a spell + a minion at the same time.
- Druid : Keeper of the grove -> Silence or 2 DMG + 2/4
- Rogue : Si 7Agent -> 2 DMG + 3/3

If you look at the priest, he doesn't have minions that can remove, debuff or even charge with their battlecries. He also doesn't have any weapon. His gameplay is to take damages and then to heal.
Edited by Tabris on 1/31/2014 2:50 AM PST
Reply Quote

This post pretty much sums up my personal frustrations with the priest deck. I love playing a priest, I really do, but I keep getting screwed by either the game's inherent RNG, priest's early game weakness, or weakness against all the 4 attack creatures.

Holy nova would be great for early game removal, particularly against aggro decks, but it costs so much to cast. If I try to improve my early game board presence with more lower cost minions, my late game will suffer.

Usually I end up sitting on my hands for at least 3 turns, sometimes 4, depending who gets the coin and by then I am usually facing 2-3 minions, with either ineffective or completely absent removal spells.

The cost of holy nova also means that even if I do clear the board successfully at round 5, my opponent has a full turn to take board control back; plus, possibly, a hard removal to kill my next turn minion without losing any of his own.
Reply Quote
Priest are all in all rather inflexible.
And while able to build good counterdecks they lack some cards for a good generalistic approach that is quite needed to climb the ladder.
The very specific nature of their cards makes their startinghands/first few draws also rather important.
Getting 2 SW:Death on the first few turns will most likely make you lose against aggro for example.
This is different from other classes getting suboptimal damage removal.

In the end I think priests could also use a good durable minion in the 3 to 5 Mana range. Lightspawn sadly doesn't cut it. It's kind of the Keeper of the Grove or Frothing Berserker they're lacking (statwise, not effectwise). I'm thinking of something like 2/4 for 3, heals itself at the start of your turn for 1 or 2.
Edited by Leticron on 1/31/2014 5:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
01/31/2014 05:10 AMPosted by Leticron
In the end I think priests could also use a good durable minion in the 3 to 5 Mana range. Lightspawn sadly doesn't cut it. It's kind of the Keeper of the Grove or Frothing Berserker they're lacking (statwise, not effectwise). I'm thinking of something like 2/4 for 3, heals itself at the start of your turn for 1 or 2.

I kinda like this idea. Priests always feel like they are playing from behind after the first few turns, so something that allows them to catch up would be really nice. It could be a minion like you say or a spell, or simply a way to get extra mana, like innervate is for druids.

You would burn through your cards faster but it might be worth it allows you to get board control.
Reply Quote
Third turn and mage played against me 4/3 creature for 3 mana and secret for free. I was trying to respond that playing coin for yeti. Coin was countered by secret and i stuck without possibility to destroy this creature.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]