Tips for priest vs Warrior

I'm having a lot of trouble vs warriors who just go for the face every turn w/their charges and weapons. With their weapons and mortal strikes and heroic strikes, 4/3 chargers, and everything else, the game is usually over by turn 5 or 6, or by that time i'm so far behind it's basically over.

I have not problem with most rush decks, but i can't smite anything b/c of the 3+ health on everything (and they run the divine shield lvl 1 card too usually,) and usually don't draw 2 sw:p or anything like that. By the time i get a taunt out, he has such board control and a weapon, so he just kills it then smashes my face.

So what beats them? If i were to build a deck to specifically stop this warrior rush deck, what would i include?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

And don't say "play another class." XD
Reply Quote
rush usually destroys priest unless they get a really good draw

taz'dingo is a great taunt that every priest should run and if yo ureally feel like you need taunt run the ancient watcher+taunt sunfury/argus combo its not terrible on priest

warrior just gets demolished by taunt so running a large amount of them will usually do the trick since most warriors don't run silence
Reply Quote
Don't forget the Ooze, too. It's usually worth holding on to it till the warrior pulls out a Fiery War Axe, since it'll affect his tempo quite a bit. And yeah, Argus is your friend.
Reply Quote
Taunt and Oozes can shut down Warrior rush decks quite handily. Actually, Mogu'shan Warden is not terrible against Warriors. Beefier then the Shieldmasta means he has to spend more attack runs getting rid of it.
Reply Quote
My warrior deck is a brutal machine. The only stop is to match my early game. Any thing less and the opponent is dead by turn 6 to 8. Do you have enough 3/2's? I've seen a lot of priest try to laze into drawing cards. That is almost certain to fail. I would say some silences and a good 4 or more 3/2's, plus a good transition into 4 mana. The taunts are merely speed bumps. I will easily take damage to kill them, to keep my machine going.
Reply Quote
a few ways to make the warriors life hard.

- play many early high HP creatures (4+HP), they won't be removed instantly and can be healed to delay and make good trades.
- playing a taunt focused deck can also be an option.

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/priest#24:2;117:2;178:2;203:1;207:2;212:2;315:2;401:1;431:2;436:1;442:2;503:1;547:2;554:2;600:2;624:2;671:2;
you can look up my current priest deck for inspiration if you want.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the tips so far guys!
I do tend to laze about until around turn four, when i can shadow madness or drop a twilight drake. It works vs other rush decks, but vs warriors I can't b/c i can never kill two of his cards, and he just ignores the drake and finishes murdering me.
Now I have filled my deck with oozes and taunts. It's pretty incredible how easy it is to stop warriors now haha :) The deck doesn't work as well vs other matchups, so i have to find some sort of happy medium, but i'm definitely holding onto this deck for those nights where it's just warrior after warrior :)
Reply Quote
02/06/2014 12:36 PMPosted by Staggz
Thanks for the tips so far guys!
I do tend to laze about until around turn four, when i can shadow madness or drop a twilight drake. It works vs other rush decks, but vs warriors I can't b/c i can never kill two of his cards, and he just ignores the drake and finishes murdering me.
Now I have filled my deck with oozes and taunts. It's pretty incredible how easy it is to stop warriors now haha :) The deck doesn't work as well vs other matchups, so i have to find some sort of happy medium, but i'm definitely holding onto this deck for those nights where it's just warrior after warrior :)

Generally, you can have Sunfury And Argus in your deck and get away against most Warriors.

Since if you do it economically, you can get 4 Taunts out of those 2 cards.

And the Sunfury can help stall to later in the game when you can help stabilize. I would also suggest putting in some Holy Fire. 5 damage for 5 HP for 6 Mana isn't always so bad. You can kill off a big dude on his side and gain back some much needed life.

Edit: been awhile since I played Priest, its 6 Mana instead of 5 now.
Edited by BeatDownCity on 2/6/2014 1:50 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]