Being Beneviolent

I am looking for a critique of my deck.

http://i.imgur.com/SNjxSDq.jpg

I've been having fluctuating success between the 18-20 ranks with it, and getting better.

in my most recent match, I thought-stole an Ancestral Spirit and placed it on Cairne, so that when he died, he came back with his brother. say what you want about hogger, but 6 for a 4/4 and a 2/2taunt (6/6 but multiple targets) is great in my books.

it was ... fun. :)
Edited by beneviolence on 2/9/2014 11:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
2x Mind Vision
2x PW:Shield
2x Northshire Cleric
2x Mindblast
2x Ironbeak Owl
2x Novice Engineer
1x SW:Death
2x Thoughtsteel
2x Harvest Golem
Tinkmaster Overspark
2x Auchenai Soulpriest
2x Defender of Argus
2x Holy Nova
1x Azure Drake
1x Faceless Manipulator
Cairne Bloodhoof
Hogger
Prophet Velen
Ragnaros the Firelord

Some more details:

the idea is to keep your hand stacked with your opponents spells to dish out what they can. Soulpriest turn lesser into a better mage power, perma Smite, so to speak. Control and misdirect with minions to keep the focus off you and on them.
Reply Quote
Hello Beneviolent,

I'll try to analyze your deck based on the things I find strong about your deck and the things that may need more improvement.

Your deck seems to be packed with most standard priest spells so that's a good thing. Though I would question why you only run one shadow word. The lack of removal until turn five may harm your early game. Furthermore, the use of mind blast is questionable, since you have more than enough 2 costs that are a better play than mind blast. It seems like a throwaway card when you have extra mana and could probably be subbed for something with more synergy.

I like the idea of your offensive priest using the soul priests. Perhaps a way to strengthen it is to put shadow form in your deck? If for some reason you lose the priest, you can continue your early strategy. Nobody has really done this successfully yet though. I find it curious that you trade the heal, an essential delay skill for damage, but still expect to win with legendaries. All your high cost minions are legendaries. Your strategy of delaying for argus does not work with weak low damage minions like engineer or cleric. Without shadow word pain, I think it is hard to equalize early losses in control especially when people tend towards rush for early games. When this deck wins, it wins more on the strength of its legendaries, not its strategy.
Reply Quote
I find that shadow form isn't really worth the cost because it isn't also a creature. soulpriest is better, imo, because it can be bounced (I might swap and alchemist for a brewmaster). that and auchenai + velen = 2mana 4pt spell if the game goes that far.

one of the big strengths is that every creature is also a spell of some kind (sorry chillwind yeti, that's why you've been benched)

You are right, it is always the early game that is most difficult, depending on draw. My draws seem to oscillate between either giving me novice engineers and alchemists (which i use to kill off 0/* taunts) or harvest golems and defenders, I can never seem to get a mixture.

As for Mind Blast, I save them for combo with Prophet Velen, ideally same with holy nova, if not, I toss them out like confetti as an "oh snap, i've just taken damage, better respond" lure. If Velen stays absent I use them anyways, however.

I opted out of the SW spells because I found myself saving them for "certain" creatures rather than using them liberally. I saved one SW:Death for a 2 cost nuke that is more versatile than BGM (even though that makes me a bit of a hypocrit).

faceless manipulator is just fun. part of the deck flavor is card stealing, and this is my only direct minion steal.

Regarding the legendaries, they are both just good 6drops, hogger I <3 can't play without him, and an 8/10 for 6 is too sweet to pass up, moreso than sunwalkers or even temple guardians. tinkmaster has saved my butt countless times.

so, i could drop the novice engineers, or the crazed alchemists (more likely the engineers) but I am worried about card draw. any thoughts?
Edited by beneviolence on 2/10/2014 7:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
I took your suggestions to heart and revamped the deck significantly. much more success (jumped from 20-16 in short order this morning, maybe I just got lucky)

1x Circle of Healing
1x Inner Fire
2x PW: Shield
2x Lightwarden
2x Divine Spirit
1x SW: Pain
2x Crazed Alchemist
1x Lightwell
2x Wild Pyromancer
1x SW: Death
2x Thoughsteal
2x Harvest Golem
2x Defender of Argus
2x Lightspawn
2x Holy Nova
2x Darkscale Healer
2x Sunwalker
Ysera
Reply Quote
Another update to the Beneviolent deck, experience and new cards always help. I haven't updated the OP because this is kind of a paper trail for me as well to track my changes..

The deck:

2x Holy Smite
2x PW: Shield
1x SW: Pain
2x Ironbeak Owl
2x Lightwell
2x Novice Engineer
1x SW: Death
2x Shadowform
2x Harvest Golem
2x Injured Blademaster
2x Dark Iron Dwarf
2x Defender of Argus
2x Holy Nova
1x Silver Hand Knight
2x Holy Fire
Cairne Bloodhoof
1x Sunwalker
Prophet Velen
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]