Priest class cards tier list discussion.

I'd love to see what people think on this/if anyone has some pro plays to make certain cards more useful.

Here's my take;

Tier 1 - Uber.
    PW:S
    Silence
    Northsire Cleric
    Auchenai Soulpriest
    Mind Control
    Circle of Healing

Tier 2 - Good.
    Shadow word Death
    Mind Blast
    Lightspawn
    Lightwell
    Shadow word Pain
    Lightwarden
    Holy Fire

Tier 3 - Average & below.
    Inner Fire
    Holy Smite
    Divine Spirit
    Mind Games
    Shadow Madness
    Cabal Shadowpriest
    Velen
    Mind Vision
    Thoughtsteal

Tier 4 - Under-used
    Mass Dispell
    Shadowform

I'll update OP with any good input we get, first order of business; what needs to happen to shadowform to make it not a completely dead draw?
Reply Quote
I would disagree with the following:

Thoughsteal is in my opinion a priests most important card. at least it is in my deck. it is #1 reason we can have an advantage over Druids and Big Warlock decks. Less useful against small rush decks.

Shadow Word Death is more important than Shadow Word Pain. Shadow Word pain is a 2 mana card to kill a 2 or 3 mana minion 1 for 1. Death is a 3 mana card that can kill 5 mana to 10 mana minions which makes it a good trade.

Shadow madness is more important as it is a 4 mana card that can trade for 2 3 or 4 mana enemy cards. 2 for 1 is always great.

Mind Control is less important. I'd say its a good card, but not always necessary. And really should be used in a bailout. If dependent on that card to win games, you are not using the correct deck in my personal opinion.

Lightspawn, Lightwell at higher ranks become less useful with more silences and better rush decks that make these wasted cards.

Those are my personal opinions.
Edited by ThaCroupier on 2/12/2014 12:48 PM PST
Reply Quote
Shadow word death is above shadow word pain, could probably easily be moved to Uber if it wasn't for the 4 attack minion void it creates.

I like Shadow Madness too but what was lacking for me to go higher in the list was versatility, to make a good turn 4 play with it you basically need one trading minion of your own with two on your opponents side that will definitely trade if you slam them into each other. It's good but sometimes you won't get that, combined with the loss of not putting a minion on the board it can cause a big loss of tempo, I'll bump it up to just below good, see what others think
Reply Quote
02/12/2014 12:58 PMPosted by Deadsy
Shadow word death is above shadow word pain, could probably easily be moved to Uber if it wasn't for the 4 attack minion void it creates.

I like Shadow Madness too but what was lacking for me to go higher in the list was versatility, to make a good turn 4 play with it you basically need one trading minion of your own with two on your opponents side that will definitely trade if you slam them into each other. It's good but sometimes you won't get that, combined with the loss of not putting a minion on the board it can cause a big loss of tempo, I'll bump it up to just below good, see what others think

You have good points on Shadow Madness. But while the harvest golem is played in 80% of current decks in meta, it gains in value as for 4 mana you can destroy 2 minions and gain the deathrattle 2/1. In the current meta, it certainly has alot of value in that regard. Using Madness to just kill 2 minions is good, but using it to gain strong deathrattles or even flame tongue for a single turn makes it more utility then just a minion clear.
Edited by ThaCroupier on 2/12/2014 1:31 PM PST
Reply Quote
SW: Death is one of the best cards in the priest arsenal because it's 3 mana. Granted it may sometimes need work arounds like crazed alchemist it's still a very good mid to late game card.

You'll see a great number of good priest players make decks without Mind Control but never without PW: death.

EDIT: Also, people would play Ironbeak rather than silence because it's also a minion.
Edited by Mythicman on 2/12/2014 5:22 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]