This is why people think Priests are OP

The priest basic set is one of the strongest in the game.

Every experienced player knows Priests are one of the weakest classes in the game for both high end constructed play and arena, however new players find priests very strong.

The reason for that I suspect is because there are very few good 4 attack basic minions besides the Yeti, so it seems like the priest can just kill any creature with pain or death. New players don't value silences so if a priest doubles a minions health or plays something like Gurubashi Berserker it can be difficult for them to deal with.

Priests are weak against hyper aggro rush decks but again you can't construct a good one with just basic cards so a priest can hold off the attack and often heal through it.

Next time you see a thread with some person complaining about a lightspawn or something just know that the person is either new or really bad at the game.
Reply Quote
02/12/2014 08:44 AMPosted by MadJohnny
Next time you see a thread with some person complaining about a lightspawn or something just know that the person is either new or really bad at the game.

We already know this. It still gets annoying trying to clean the trash out of the forums so there can be an actual discussion of Priests here. The newbies who have been playing for two weeks or so are utterly convinced that they have some new and amazing insight into the game that neither Blizzard nor players who have been at it for months have figured out that they will never admit that they should be posting "Help me beat Priests!" instead of "Priest OP NERRRRRFZ0RZ them INTO DA GROWND!" garbage posts.
Reply Quote
As a new player, I can understand how the perceived power of the priest could decline as one starts getting access to more and better cards.

I am still at the stage where I can certainly win against priests, but they are definitely the most frustrating at this level.

While it would be more productive for people to realize their weakness in the late game so there could be more meaningful balance discussion, I think it also might be worth balancing their basic cards as well. I don't feel that the two ideas are mutually exclusive. Maybe some of these "OP" cards that new players complain about shouldn't be part of the basic deck.
Reply Quote
People who think priest is OP are stupid, plain and simple. They have by far the lowest win rate in both constructed and arena, and stats don't lie.

Source; http://hearthstats.net/jan
Reply Quote
02/12/2014 10:30 AMPosted by Paincanal
I think it also might be worth balancing their basic cards as well.

Actually, I'd like for the other classes basic decks to be brought up to the Priest's level, and then have the Priest expert deck buffed or reworked for better synergy.
Reply Quote
New players don't value silences so if a priest doubles a minions health or plays something like Gurubashi Berserker it can be difficult for them to deal with.

It is not that they don't value silence, but they do not have access to silence, nor do they even know it exists. I am pretty sure the tutorial does not use an example of silence.
Reply Quote
One can't deny if a priest gets a Northshire Cleric at turn one it is difficult.

It is purely random though I suppose.
Reply Quote
That's a really good point. It would help new players if a few common and basic cards were switched around.
Reply Quote
4 cards with very very very low cost to destroy creatures, a lot of healing escapes, a lot of draw cards, "silence all minions...", and a lot of another annoying cards to !@#$ up with your game, that's why priests are op.

Light well, double heath, and mind control are easy to face, but the other players can't construct a deck only thinking to play against priests, that's impracticable.

I think the cards "destroy creture with 3 less / 5 more" needs to change. Maybe a single card, "destroy creature with 3 less or 5 more"....
Reply Quote
New players don't value silences

New players don't HAVE silences, unless they're Priests.

I was shocked to find out that silence also dispels effects that have already happened from things like Gurubashi Berserker -- because the tutorial doesn't explain silence and new players don't start with any cards that can silence until they manage to take down Practice Anduin -- which can take quite a few tries, because priests are hard to deal with when you only have starter cards.
Reply Quote
You should take a look on Hearthstats.

http://hearthstats.net/jan, this is the rapport of January.

Look at the Priest stats and then we'll talk about Priest OP..
He got the worst win rates stats on Arena and Constructed on about 160000 games..
Edited by Tabris on 2/15/2014 1:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
I don't hate the priests, but they are obviously not op, I have a card draw priest deck that has a fairly good win/loss ratio, but it's not op or anything, just a solid deck. I have things like ragnoros/prophet velen that really shore up priest weaknesses. Soon to add mountain giants(hopefully).
Reply Quote

The reason for that I suspect is because there are very few good 4 attack basic minions besides the Yeti

Most of the best cards in the game have 4 attack...

Argent Commander
Druid of the Claw
Azure Drake
Ysera
Yeti
Dark iron Dwarf
Spellbreaker
Twilight Drake
Cairne
Sunwalker
Kor'kron Elite
2x Animal Companions

Rares/Commons dont really count as "basic" as anyone can get these just starting the game. the legends being exceptions.
The list goes on with lower tier cards. Honestly theyre just noobs.
Edited by FxyO on 2/15/2014 2:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/14/2014 03:44 PMPosted by Eleude
4 cards with very very very low cost to destroy creatures, a lot of healing escapes, a lot of draw cards, "silence all minions...", and a lot of another annoying cards to !@#$ up with your game, that's why priests are op.

Light well, double heath, and mind control are easy to face, but the other players can't construct a deck only thinking to play against priests, that's impracticable.

I think the cards "destroy creture with 3 less / 5 more" needs to change. Maybe a single card, "destroy creature with 3 less or 5 more"....

Or maybe you just need to learn how to play the game.

Light well and double health aren't being used by Priests who want to win games, only ones using that are those that want a to see a janky combo go off, even if it works 1 out of every 10 games or something.

You don't even need to build a deck to beat priests, as long as you build a good deck it will beat priests naturally because:

1) Priests have pathetic early game
2) Priests have glaring weakness to 4 attack minions
3) Priests lack the burst/AOE damage that other control heroes have.

Combine all 3 and you have a recipe for disaster for the priest, you can take control in the early game and kill all of his minions, put down 4 attack minions to make him do unfavorable trades and then finish it off before he can cast his 10 mana mind control....that would only get 1 minion out of the 5 you have on the board.

Oh what's that? You don't play 4 attack minions? Then you just suck, some of the best minions have 4 attack:

1) Chillwind Yeti
2) Azure Drake
3) The other Drake
4) Spell Breaker
5) Sunwalker
6) Commander
7) Ysera
8) Cairne
9) Dark Iron Dwarf
10) Injured Blademaster

And those are just neutral minions. think about it the only spell a Priest has to get rid of a 4 attack minion is a 6 mana spell, so best case scenario is it's still a favorable trade. Watch the other thread were Artosis (one of the best players in the world) got his !@# handed to him thanks to playing a Priest class in Fight Night. The funny thing is, the commentators were talking about how Shadow Madness is the most powerful Priest card. Shadow Madness! The class is so weak its best card is a temporary MC of an opponent card!
Reply Quote
New players don't value silences so if a priest doubles a minions health or plays something like Gurubashi Berserker it can be difficult for them to deal with.

I actually feel like this is the opposite. When I was starting out, I actually overvalued silence.

all that being said, the real reason people think that priests are op is because they're actually super frustrating. getting killed by your own cards because thoughtsteal/mind control is the absolute worse way to lose a match.
Reply Quote
Every experienced player knows Priests are one of the weakest classes in the game

Agree, Priest is among the lowest tier. And the moment when mind control is set from 8 mana to 10 mana, it almost destroyed the card. Consider mind control the best card in priest, a +2 card, it's just sad.

Priest is basically a race that can win most of the games whenever you survive the early rush, but that's not the case, you need to have to have a super lucky hand to begin with in order to survive. Otherwise, it's just ridiculous when you are playing against a murlock rush or a Enor's type Roger deck.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]