Deck Advice Vs. Mage

I understand that Mage is considered a weaker class currently, much like Priest, but damn if they aren't regularly kicking the crap out of me lately. I'd appreciate any advice on my deck and also versus Mages in general. Thanks!

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/32249-priest

1 Chillwind Yeti
1 Sylvanas Windrunner
1 Spellbreaker
1 Dark Iron Dwarf
1 Cabal Shadow Priest
2 Ancient Watcher
1 Tinkmaster Overspark
1 Azure Drake
2 Shadow Word: Pain
2 Sunfury Protector
2 Harvest Golem
2 Holy Smite
2 Shattered Sun Cleric
1 Holy Fire
1 Ironbeak Owl
2 Defender of Argus
2 Shadow Word: Death
2 Northshire Cleric
1 Silver Hand Knight
2 Holy Nova
Reply Quote
I'm going to have to think on it a bit, but I think you have too many "defender" cards that enable taunt to other minions. I'd drop at least one and an Ancient Watcher, and replace with two Sen'jin Shieldmastas, because they are a solid card and you don't need a combo to get them up. You're not likely to need a ton of taunt vs a Mage. In fact, I'd probably drop one more "defender" and get your other Yeti. Yetis are one of the best minions in the game. They can survive a Flame Strike, too.

IDK, it's really the Ancient Watchers and Sunfury / Argus that's dragging down the deck. Those Ancients can't attack. You're way over emphasizing taunt, IMO.

I *highly* recommend an Injured Blademaster for a Priest deck, BTW. He's like a super Yeti once you get him healed, he's instantly good with Northshire Clerics, and he can't be Silenced, because he really does have 7 health and damages himself for 4 as a battlecry. Pairing him with a Circle of Healing at turn 3, or doing the same and adding a NS Cleric on 4 (or 3 with Coin) is a very nice combo. Just make sure you're not healing an enemy minion that you can't kill.
Reply Quote
I appreciate the feedback. If you'd be willing to continue the dialogue so we can exchange ideas I'd truly appreciate it.

02/12/2014 10:34 PMPosted by MattOverMind
Yetis are one of the best minions in the game. They can survive a Flame Strike, too.
Only at level 7-8 assuming they haven't already taken damage and assuming there aren't any spell damage amps down prior.

IDK, it's really the Ancient Watchers and Sunfury / Argus that's dragging down the deck. Those Ancients can't attack. You're way over emphasizing taunt, IMO.
Honestly, I'm not sure there's any other effective way of dealing with early aggression aka Merloc decks and the like. I think you're overlooking the silences in my deck too, which make them a bit more versatile. I can have a 4/5 with taunt out on the bottom of 2 or a 4/5 attacking precisely because there are so many of those cards. And they're cheap as hell all game, meaning I can lay them down at various points when I'm bleeding mana and they will often not be dealt with until I make them a threat. Plus, as a bonus, if the opposition tries silence them to get around the taunt, I get a 4/5 to attack with.

I *highly* recommend an Injured Blademaster for a Priest deck, BTW.
I tired running him for a while... and while he can't be silenced, the immediacy of a 4/3 on often found him targeted over cheaper minions and then those dealt with later. Frankly, I found Circle of Healing and Blademaster to be far too situational... and never something I could rely on.
Reply Quote
02/13/2014 12:10 AMPosted by Musikaman
I appreciate the feedback. If you'd be willing to continue the dialogue so we can exchange ideas I'd truly appreciate it.

Sure :)

Only at level 7-8 assuming they haven't already taken damage and assuming there aren't any spell damage amps down prior.

In my current Priest play style, I try to constantly trade down minions in all match ups. I want his board cleared, and my guys healed. Flamestrike is a very costly move for a mage, and many only run 1 these days. There will be mages that get the better of you, but so far Yetis and other solid mid-range minion are a major backbone in my current deck.

Honestly, I'm not sure there's any other effective way of dealing with early aggression aka Merloc decks and the like. I think you're overlooking the silences in my deck too, which make them a bit more versatile. I can have a 4/5 with taunt out on the bottom of 2 or a 4/5 attacking precisely because there are so many of those cards. And they're cheap as hell all game, meaning I can lay them down at various points when I'm bleeding mana and they will often not be dealt with until I make them a threat. Plus, as a bonus, if the opposition tries silence them to get around the taunt, I get a 4/5 to attack with.

I still run a Pyromancer, and he's worth his weight in gold in these situations. Between him, the Holy Smites, the SW:P's, etc, I can usually hold out until turn 4, where I drop a Tazdingo. I haven't had any trouble with Murlocs in a while, and I'm starting to figure out Hunters, too. There are those times when I just get a bad opening draw, and the other guy gets everything he wants, but those are probably going to always be an issue for Priests in the current meta.

I get your idea on the Watchers, but economically, running so many of them and the protectors doesn't jive with me. For 4 mana / 2 cards, you get a 4/5 taunter, which is only slightly better than Sen'jin, and if you go the silence route, you're still looking at 4-6 mana and 2 cards for what's essentially a Yeti. I'm not saying to pull them from your deck, but I think you could get away with running one Watcher, Protector and Argus, each, and not be loading down your deck with minions that require combos.

I tired running him for a while... and while he can't be silenced, the immediacy of a 4/3 on often found him targeted over cheaper minions and then those dealt with later. Frankly, I found Circle of Healing and Blademaster to be far too situational... and never something I could rely on.

The Blademaster + Circle combo is definitely a nice-when-it-happens thing. I don't rely on it. I try not to play the Blademaster until I know I can heal him. If I drop him with the first 3 or 4 turns, it's because I'm desperate. Still, at only 3 mana, if you do have to trade him early, it's not like you're out some expensive card. My play style has been centering heavily on healing my guys. I've only reached level 15 with this deck, but I'm on a win streak (4 stars) so I may be able to take it further, tonight. We'll see...

I posted my current deck in a another thread. Please feel free to check it out and offer any feedback. :)

http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/11747004611
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]