Is twisting nether a joke?

I mean it has to be right? clearly a running joke around the hearthstone water cooler..

8 mana destroy all minions (epic)

when compared to flamestrike

One sided board wipe 4-5 damage to each creature.. maybe youll have 1 creature that can live through it

so the warlock equivalent cost more mana, backfires harder, and is much rarer to obtain

IDK i can see this card getting value but any game you need to clear multiple 8HP guys while leaving your board empty afterwards sounds like you were losing anyway..

thoughts
Reply Quote
I haven't really been able to find a place for it in my deck either. Like you said, it's handy for the late-game and can hurt your opponent if it takes down some powerful minions. But it's still expensive as well.

I prefer to use 2xHellfire/1x Shadowflame. At times I do encounter situations were I'm overwhelmed late game, but that means most of the time I was losing anyway.

It's not a bad card, but quite expensive and for me personally it's difficult to justify replacing any of my current cards with it.
Edited by JH24 on 2/14/2014 10:27 AM PST
Reply Quote
It's a terrible card right now and the mana cost is intensive BUT I think in any CG there needs to exist an unconditional board wipe. As of right now this is the only unconditional complete wipe in the game. It's not good in the meta now but perhaps it will rise to be good in future releases.

I think balancing this card is a nightmare because if you make it 7 mana, it would be significantly stronger, but 8 mana is also too much.
Reply Quote
YAY! Free 100 Dust! FUND MY MOUNTAIN GIANTS!!!!
Reply Quote
An unconditional board wipe is undeniably a strong effect. However, in a game where you can't play anything on your opponent's turn, this card costing 8 pretty much kills it, imo.

At best, you can clear the board and drop a 2-cost minion. That will (likely) promptly be followed up by your opponent playing a much bigger threat first, thereby retaining the advantage. This card pales in comparison to the other options available.
Reply Quote
Giant Locks play a Twisting Nether at the moment. Drop it on turn 8 to clear the board + follow it with 2 zero cost Molten Giants.
Reply Quote
The card is almost useless, aside from the fact of you having 2 drops or molten giants @ turn 10..

Its a Wrath of God (MTG) and even that card only cost you 4 mana. I hope they consider changing it to 6-7 mana. With this you can follow up with a solid drop giving the card some playability.
Reply Quote
It's only useful if you don't play alot of minions especially in conjunction with Molten Giants / Jaraxxus Infernal .
Reply Quote
If you're bored, it's a hilarious card. I don't think anything is as satisfying to play in a joke build as Twisting Nether.

It's just not a good card in the current climate if you're in the mood to try hard. Won't stop me from using it, though.
Reply Quote
8 mana cost card that is countered by a simple harvest golem and even harder by cairne
Reply Quote
yeah i dont get it, in other games with board wipes its usually cheaper to clear the whole board than clearing just your opponent's board like plague winds is like 8 or 9 and only kills your opponent's creatures but damnation is 4 but kills every creature on board
I guess you are just paying the extra mana for the cool animation lol
Reply Quote
it is a card that can be good in very slow control vs control matchup.

say your opponent has some ancient watchers with taunt up perhaps a cenarius and hell a tinkmaster nothing very threatening and fast perhaps but big

and then you can simply hit the board reset button
in a perfect world get some giants up maybe even give them taunt
forcing your opponent to deal with them and allowing you to play lord jaraxxus

now ofcourse people know how to play around molten giants and will keep you at a certain health before bursting you down but then twisting nether can still be a boardwipe that at the very least halts their build up

at the high mana cost it is clear that they didn't want it to be used against aggro but against lategame decks or midrange decks

i can see it being used in tournament format if you want to build a deck that has favorable matchup against other slow control decks
like say if paladin or priest ever become popular again perhaps even vs other control warlocks

but for use on the ladder probably not
Reply Quote
Eh, I've ran it before, but it does seem very situational to the point were it feels like I need to build a deck around it.
I think the only time I've used it where I got a Huge ROI is when my Opponent played a Deathwing on turn 10. I just TN'd, played my VW+Blood imp and he conceeded.

However if they give Warlocks a "soulstone" card (When a minion dies, bring it back to life) much like Redemption or Ancestral Spirit, it would be very strong
Reply Quote
I do love it with my giants but also after that first LJ drop, when they fill the board up with minions. Whoopsy, all gone.
Reply Quote
Please stop comparing apples to oranges. Twisting Nether is a Warlock card, Flamestrike is a Mage card, you can't just compare the 2 cards in a vacuum, you must take their contexts into consideration as well.
Reply Quote
shadow flame is the warlock equivalent of flame strike twisting nether is your end game option like pyroblast or mind control i've seen some good control lock decks that run one as an oh !@#$ button card
Reply Quote
I think that the text at least should read "Silence each minion, then destroy them". Would buff the efficiency a lot and make it an interesting card.
Reply Quote
02/16/2014 12:24 PMPosted by zamme
I think that the text at least should read "Silence each minion, then destroy them". Would buff the efficiency a lot and make it an interesting card.

Might be runnable as a 1 drop then. The only thing that kills this card is that it takes up your turn unlesss you have molten giants or a 2 drop. At least paladins get 6 mana after a board wipe =\. I'd like at least 3 for those Earthen Rings with the silence, or 4 for dem yetis without the silence.
Reply Quote
02/16/2014 07:04 AMPosted by OwlRaider
Please stop comparing apples to oranges. Twisting Nether is a Warlock card, Flamestrike is a Mage card, you can't just compare the 2 cards in a vacuum, you must take their contexts into consideration as well.

Yup. And the context is: Warlocks have high risk high rewards cards while Mages have low risk high reward cards.
Reply Quote
02/16/2014 12:24 PMPosted by zamme

agreed
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]