Why don't Priests have a good board-wipe?

I'm fairly new and would appreciate the help. I find myself winning when I have board early on, but if I ever lose board... it feels like the game is all but over.

5cost for 2 damage AoE is kinda bad. Yes, it heals, but you won't fully benefit from it without board presence.

Why don't priests have a good board wipe?
This feels like it's almost a requirement for heroes that normally specialize in control. This is how they can possibly regain board if they lose it from early game aggro. It just seems like if I have board early on... I got a chance... but if I ever lose board... I'm done for.

and...
Why is the priest control so easy to play around? 4 attack? That's a very good chunk of mid-game minions.

I'm normally a Priest or Rogue player and this is such a strange iteration of the Priest.

Help appreciated.
Reply Quote
We've got another board wipe:
Auchenai Soulpriest + Circle Of Healing

Try it out :)
Reply Quote
Or like me... Good ol' Abomination... it's still 5 mana, but at least you got a beefy 4/4 with taunt to go with it.
Reply Quote
I'm aware of the 2card pseudo board-wipes. Priests have to be cute in attempt to control the game. alchemist+shadow word cards. auchenai+circle. All to deal with something as simple as a 4/X drop. Yes we can clear the board, but it's all so unreliable and requires multiple cards.

Azure Drake, Yeti, Ogre, Cairne, the list goes on and on and on.. 4 seems like a pretty standard attack for 4 and 5 drops and even some 6 drops.

Holy Nova - 5cc
3 damage to all enemy characters and 2 healing to all friendly characters. Enemies that die from Holy Nova are 'buried' (deathrattles are not activated and cannot return to the field).

Priests cards should be slightly stronger than other classes because their hero ability does not actually deal damage to the minions on field.

Shadow Word Pain: 3cc
Destroy creature with 4 attack or lower.
Edited by RatedGG on 2/14/2014 7:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
lol holy nova anyone?
Reply Quote
Holy nova is great................. But you forgot to add the "if" clause: If your opponent plays nothing but T1 cards. Ya way to promote a "great" AOE spell...........

FAIL. Holy Nova is not in any of my decks and never would be since its so crappy that EVERYONE can use it (Abom == Holy Nova). The priests hard AOE sucks so hard that even a neutral card has it AND that neutral card is BETTER.
Edited by Lancelight on 2/14/2014 8:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/14/2014 07:40 PMPosted by EchoThestar
lol holy nova anyone?

Holy Nova is NOT a board wipe and neither is frost nova and consecration.

AOE =/= BOARD WIPE. (let alone a crap AoE)

you are sadly sadly mistaken.

It does not wipe the board anywhere near clean. A TRUE BOARD-WIPE is something that would completely clear the board. 2 damage does not suffice.

Priests cant even wipe the board of Murlocs after a small health boost which is pretty sad.
Edited by RatedGG on 2/14/2014 9:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
Yep, this is why Priests are bad because they're supposed to be a "control" class but they don't have spells to control stuff with. Things like Shadow Madness, Cabal etc. are nice when the opponent keeps playing just 1 minion on the board, but once he reaches 4 attack you're in trouble.

MC was supposed to be the one pulling up the class power level but since it got nerfed to the ground it's no wonder priest are the worst class in the game, I just play it for the challenge nowadays, even a common deck without any legends becomes hard to deal with once the Azure Drakes, Yetis and Spell Breakers come popping out.
Reply Quote
lol holy nova anyone?

It does not wipe the board anywhere near clean. A TRUE BOARD-WIPE is something that would completely clear the board. 2 damage does not suffice.

Priests cant even wipe the board of Murlocs after a small health boost which is pretty sad.

if that's your definition of a board wipe, then the only class that has one is warlocks. Also Pally if you count equality + wild pyromancer, which won't work if something has divine shield. Warrior Brawl, too, but there's some luck involved in that one.

I'm just saying that priests are hardly alone in not having a full board wipe...
Edited by Blissey1 on 2/15/2014 7:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
The most consistent way I've found to play Priest is to go mid-range control and field a lot of those same 4 attack minions that give us so much hell. Only as a Priest, you can keep them alive. It's either mid-range or gimmick, IMO. We lost our big late game dominance when MC got nerfed, and I'm hoping Blizz will take note. As for a board clear, I've rarely been wanting for one, but you could always run a Doomsayer and hope he can't silence. :/
Edited by MattOverMind on 2/15/2014 7:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
Just played against a bunch of aggro deck in a row, all different classes, hunter, rogue, warrior, SHAMAN... each of them full of those 4 atk minions, yeti, twilight drake (oh this is the best really, how the fk is priest supposed to kill a 4/9 minion??), azure drake, korkron elite, spellbreaker, darkscale healer, druid of the claw, etc etc.

I had to use 2x holy nova, 2x abomination, baron geddon, and finally ysera to turn the tide at <10hp.

Im a survivor!
Reply Quote
02/15/2014 07:09 AMPosted by Blissey1

if that's your definition of a board wipe, then the only class that has one is warlocks. Also Pally if you count equality + wild pyromancer, which won't work if something has divine shield. Warrior Brawl, too, but there's some luck involved in that one.

I'm just saying that priests are hardly alone in not having a full board wipe...

That was defination for a TRUE board wipe. If an aoe is strong enough to get rid of a good portion of minions.. then it could be considered a wipe. Holy Nova does 2 damage.. hardly a 'board wipe'.
Reply Quote
2xHoly Nova (+Spellpower, but depends on the deck)
2xWild Pyromancer + Spells
2xCircle of healing + Auchenai Priest
2xAbomination

and if you are fancy you can also use Baron Geddon like me.
There are enough options to clean the board with AOE
Reply Quote
02/15/2014 03:07 PMPosted by csunset
twilight drake (oh this is the best really, how the fk is priest supposed to kill a 4/9 minion??)

Silence makes it 4/1.
Reply Quote
I will repeat this one more time... 2 damage AoE is crap (and is hardly a wipe) and can't even wipe off health boosted Murlocs or any 3hp 2drop.
Reply Quote
how the fk is priest supposed to kill a 4/9 minion??

Swap health, PWD or anything that deals 4 damage?
Edited by Slai on 2/16/2014 5:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
twilight drake (oh this is the best really, how the fk is priest supposed to kill a 4/9 minion??)

silence
Reply Quote
02/16/2014 05:24 AMPosted by Slai
how the fk is priest supposed to kill a 4/9 minion??

Swap health, PWD or anything that deals 4 damage?

1 for 2 garbage.
Reply Quote
02/16/2014 05:48 AMPosted by Blissey1

silence

more possible 1 for 2 garbage. you can handle almost anything using a combo of 2 cards, but that doesn't mean it's a good answer to it...
Reply Quote
Hi RatedGG. I see you are complaining here much as you do on the Shadowera forums! ^^

But I will propose one thing to you about priest, is that the hero ability adds HP to minions. Therefore in a way extending the milage of the cards you play. Also, Thoughtsteal is the only card in the game other than Ysera, that actually adds to your overall card draw potential. It's a 1 for 2 in that you lose one card of your own and gain two cards from your opponent. So priest gets 32 cards in their deck + healing. Extending how long their deck lasts when played correctly.

In other words priest have the most economical usage of cards in the game

And using 2 cards to kill 2 or more other cards is great value anyways. Priests have the best boardclear in the game
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]