Priest Feedback

Overview

Priest would be the most powerful class in the game if you could create a deck specifically for the opponent you are playing. However, Hearthstone is a game that randomly pairs you with one of nine classes and demands flexibility. The current reactive play style and deep roster of situational spells makes Priest play highly susceptible to RNG. Most players claiming to have a high ranking priest deck have loaded up their decks with neutral minions and few priest cards.

Powerful, One Dimensional Spells
New players who come to complain about priests are often the victim of a one of the Priests powerful but situational or one dimensional cards. They remember the times that they finally played their "OMG Minion of Doom" that was going to turn the tide of the game in their favor just to have it mind controlled or Shadow Word Deathed. Cards like Mind Control, Shadow Word Death, Shadow Word Pain, Silence, and to a lesser extent Cobal Shadow Priest, Inner Fire, Divine Spirit, Holy Nova and Mass Dispel can turn the moment of a game around when used at the right time but can also have the potential to just sit in your hand doing nothing sometimes for games on end. Some of these cards do not even have trade down potential.

The Most Reactive Class
Should be no surprise to people that the class themed around Healing and Defense is the most reactive class in the game. Allowing the opponent to set the tempo of the game is very dangerous in this game. Given the Reactive nature of most of the priest cards you have to hope to have the right cards at the right time in an almost endless pool of different scenarios. Decks loaded up with priest cards/combos are highly dependent on card draw and specifically Northshire Cleric.

Trading Down
Priests, especially when it comes to dealing with minions with 4 attack, are forced to use multiple cards or more expensive cards to eliminate the threat. A common scenario is Inner Fire + Shadow Word: Pain/death, Minion + Smite, or 2 minions. Trading down a Six Mana Holy Fire for a 4/5 Mana minion that has been on the board for 1-3 turns. A Ten mana Mind Control for 4-6 Mana minion. With few exceptions most of our cards are traded in a best case scenario as 1:1. Cards like Mind Blast and silence are not even worth a full card of value outside of a few scenarios.

Forum Observations: Neutral Minion Spam
How are people getting around these issues now? Players who claim to have broken into the top ten rankings typically run with Nuetral minion decks with few (often less than ten) priest cards. These decks trade cards like Holy Nova for Abomination, Inner fire/Divine Shield for Dark Iron dwarf or Defender of Argus. High defense mobs for mid-ranged mobs. Silence for Owl or Spell Breaker. Basically they are using a cookie cutter deck approach and priest just for the Class Power and not specifically a Priest deck.

Conclusion
Priest does not need a buff or a nerf at this point. Cards need to be retooled to be more flexible. Priest itself is a very inconsistent and frustrating class to play without subbing out all your priest cards for more flexible neutral cards.
Edited by Redoing on 2/19/2014 8:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
I would really like to see something like this:

Mind Blast now works against enemys, but if used against them it costs double mana
Reply Quote
Why not just go all out and quadruple mana instead. That way you'll be assured that the card will never see the light of day since that seems to be your motive. You dont just slap a double mana cost on a card and call it a day at the nerf office.

What needs to happen is to simply remove the class all together and replace it with something else. In it's current state, it's to jacked up to fix.
Edited by Lancelight on 2/19/2014 4:36 PM PST
Reply Quote
I posted some suggestions to retool the class here: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/11764947014#1

I think some of these infused one or two at a time would slowly balance the priest class and remove the ridiculous amount of situational cards in the class

Removing the class altogether is the worst idea and makes no sense for a game based on WoW to ever entertain. If Shadow Word Pain was made into a -2 -2 debuff and SW: Death was adjusted to cost 4 destroy a minion alone the class would end up being busted in most people eyes.
Reply Quote
I think priests need a way to have board presence in the early game that isn't reliant on neutral minions. The minions I see mentioned a lot for early game on these forums include Ancient Watchers, Sunfury Protectors, Wild Pyromancers, Injured Blademasters + probably Harvest Golem (I'm sure there are more in the 1-2-3 range).

The only minion in a priest's early game arsenal is the Northshire Cleric, which imo is sometimes good as an early drop versus aggro decks (except when they drop a knife juggler, for instance), but outside of that rather subpar except for when you can activate its drawing ability on the same turn. The rest of the priest 1-2-3 drops are a bunch of spells (and Lightwell!), many of which are situational and not too good without the right circumstance.

As mentioned above, too much of what priests can do is situational and often many cards sit in the hand dead.
Reply Quote
02/19/2014 08:48 AMPosted by Redoing
Overview

Priest would be the most powerful class in the game if you could create a deck specifically for the opponent you are playing. However, Hearthstone is a game that randomly pairs you with one of nine classes and demands flexibility. The current reactive play style and deep roster of situational spells makes Priest play highly susceptible to RNG. Most players claiming to have a high ranking priest deck have loaded up their decks with neutral minions and few priest cards.

I completely agree, due the the fact that there is no sideboard, there is little opportunity to run a nice tight deck in any class. The fact that ranked play is not best of 3 compounds this issue as luck plays a too much of role in moving up the rankings, where as consistency and a solid win condition or two should have more impact on the game. Being flexible is the aim of the game right now and I would like to see cards like acidic swamp ooze relegated to the sideboard where they belong, not run main just because.

Having said that, it's early days for Hearthstone and I find that the things I really don't like about it actually make it more fun and set it apart from other card games. Heaven forbid we just had another Magic clone with WoW art. As a player of the original WoW TCG I am pleased to see that it has retained much of the original concepts developed there.

As for priest, I think we are too reliant on "loosing" the toss and going second. As a reactive class, if you go first, you often you skip your first and second turns, waiting for the opponent to make a move. I'm not sure why ppl don't like mind blast. It's a solid 5 dmg and it gets the ball rolling and their death clock ticking. Paired with Velen and Malygos it is heat breaking. Do I ever keep it in my starting hand? No way. But it is a good counter to other hero healing spells, Healing Touch, Holy Light. What it needs is a draw attached, much like Starfire. 3 to cast 5 dmg to enemy hero and draw. I would be happy with that and we would see it run much more.

As for trading and Priest having to expend cards to deal with too many threats, I think of it a little differently, mana cost. I'm happy to spend 0 on silence if that means undoing all their hard work, and mana to buff their minion. I can carry on and actually do something this turn.

With the release of new packs, classes and hero cards we will see more balance in the current meta, it's only natural that given the time frame and limited number of mechanics and card options available players have found winning combinations, after all that is what makes these kinds of card games fun, firstly the battles, secondly using your wit to find combinations of cards which work.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]