Priest Legendary

Just got Prophet of Valen in a pack. Any particular build this is good in?
Reply Quote
"good" is a relative term. Most people who use him do so in a shadow priest deck
Reply Quote
You kind of have to build your deck around him, not the other way around. He makes Mind Blast somewhat worth having...
Reply Quote
02/19/2014 09:46 AMPosted by MattOverMind
You kind of have to build your deck around him, not the other way around. He makes Mind Blast somewhat worth having...

that's sort of the way it seems to me as well. but it seems like he can be super powerful if you can keep him alive for a couple turns. considering making him my first crafted legendary as I'm nearing 1600 dust and priest is my favorite class (though I play several others nearly as much), but right now I'm leaning toward ysera and also considering ragnaros and tirion...so far I've only gotten illidan, antonidas (twice :/) and millhouse (considering DEing him, but idk)
Reply Quote
02/19/2014 10:45 AMPosted by tomiathon

that's sort of the way it seems to me as well. but it seems like he can be super powerful if you can keep him alive for a couple turns. considering making him my first crafted legendary as I'm nearing 1600 dust and priest is my favorite class (though I play several others nearly as much), but right now I'm leaning toward ysera and also considering ragnaros and tirion...so far I've only gotten illidan, antonidas (twice :/) and millhouse (considering DEing him, but idk)

I do have Velen (I got him in a pack).

My favorite game with him:
I play Velen
Warlock plays JARAXXUS
I play Faceless Manipulator on Velen, Shadowform. Attack with Velen for 7, then Mind Spike for 8.

However, I'm not currently using him. You usually can't do much on the turn you play him, and he tends to die on the turn after. In my opinion, Ysera or Ragnaros is a better finisher. (currently using Ysera, Ragnaros is too random)
Reply Quote
i use Velen on a daily basis, im not shadow, i use 2 mind blasts too, when i get coin i keep it for a whoping 20 damage that bypass taunts. Sup
Reply Quote
Dust it and save for a Ysera. Priests do not have a Legendary worth putting into a deck like other classes. Use the generic Pagle/Tinkmaster/YSera/Rag slots instead. If you dont have a Ysera, you need one. ASAP. It's the best legendary for a priest without a doubt.
Edited by Lancelight on 2/19/2014 4:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/19/2014 10:45 AMPosted by tomiathon

Cairn or Sylvanus would probably be better choices, and you could use them in other decks.
Reply Quote
im amused by the comments here, how can you dust Velen as a priest lol. Oh well, whatever.
Edited by sinner on 2/20/2014 2:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
How? Easy. Where is he on this list?

http://www.hearthlog.com/stats#?r=32&t=16

L2P
Edited by Lancelight on 2/20/2014 11:14 AM PST
Reply Quote
1952 showings out of 304K games compared to Rag/Ysera (50446/16477). Do the math. The reason Ysera has a lower showing is because Priest also has a lower showing overall. Ysera is the priest Legendary, not Velen. A real priest deck has BOTH of them. But if you can only get 1, then Ysera is your card. If you have neither, then you can use Boulderfist Ogre until such time OR a Mind Control, but Ogre has a higher utility value despite it being a minion. MC is only good in Arena.
Edited by Lancelight on 2/20/2014 11:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
I have both of them (Velen and Ysera) and 5 more. Velen is the priest Legendary btw check crafting again. And yes i use them both. Who doesnt use Velen as a priest is bad, no matter what some site might say.
Edited by sinner on 2/20/2014 12:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
No, Velen is "technically" the priest legendary, but you have to be on some heavy **** if you think it's better than ysera and should not be considered the "priest legendary" even though it's neutral. Running Velen is like using Innerfire combos. It's subpar at best. Velen REQUIRES you to have spells to make any use of it (Mind Blast, Holy Fire, etc) unless you're trying to use a ShadowFAIL type deck which, duhh, is a failburger in and of itself. All of which are expensive and not really worth having simply to combo with 1 card (you cant have 2 velens). Ysera on the other hand GIVES you the cards that combos with it. That my friend, is priceless. Not to mention it's also got 4 attack which defeats other priests. It's like a bigger version of Twilight Drake which is the bane of all priests.

You couldnt pay me enough to replace my rag/ysera with a retarded Velen.
Edited by Lancelight on 2/20/2014 1:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
From what i understand you ll take an 6/7 ogre instead of Velen, right? Ok mate. whatever floats your boat. I didnt said that you should craft Velen instead of Ysera but if you get it in a pack and dont use it as a priest it s a waste. Just my 2 cents.

And i own an Ysera and yes she brings me way more victories than Velen but to say that Velen is retarded? Really?
Reply Quote
Let me open by saying that Priest is BY FAR my favorite class to play, but it is not the one i use when I'm being serious about winning. Rather, priest is the class I use when I want to have some fun, a change of pace, or some wacky stuff. Priest has so much more randomness, situational and gimmicky stuff in their arsenal than other classes IMHO, and Velen fits right into that theme.

I got Velen in a pack as one of my first legendaries and was super excited. However after playing with him for a while i ended up being frustrated because I couldn't make him work until I realized what Velen excels at: Velen is a Master Troll. Playing him on turn 7 is almost always a mistake unless you have supreme board control and/or you've exhausted your enemies removals or a reasonably sure he doesn't have them. The deck I play is control-y and tends to bait hard removals earlier by making people think I'm about to buff a minion to make him too hard to deal with.

I love using Velen because it often does one of 2 things that swing the game that my opponent is not expecting: He either gives me much burst out of nowhere (which lets be honest people do not expect of priest) and i end the game or reverses the momentum and I go from almost dead to very healthy in a couple of turns. While it is by no means a consistent play, the satisfaction of doing something like 20 damage to the face out of nowhere on turn 10 with velen + 2 mindblast and coin ( or a sorcerer's apprentice if you can keep alive from previous turn) is always hilarious. And because I run other trollish cards like mindvision and toughtsteal i often end up with random spells in my deck that become 2x as effective, lending to even more hilarity if i can keep Velen alive.

One of the funniest games I've had happened today against a hunter. He had me almost dead but thanks to auchenai soul priest + circle of healing i managed to fend him off. Enter Velen the troll and cue laugh track. Highlights of that game include a 6 damage multishot to avoid lethal, a faceless on velen leading to me beating the clock as I healed for 8 while he rushed my face, and a finisher on him with a 12 damage Kill command.

The tl;dr is that Velen, like many other priest cards, needs the right board to be effective, but when it works it's immensely satisfying.
Reply Quote
this photo is from an older thread/game of mine , just saying when the star aligns you can do some lol damage with Velen, check out that 40 damage mind blast :)

http://imgur.com/ord6jJm
Reply Quote
If you dont have a Ysera, you need one. ASAP. It's the best legendary for a priest without a doubt.

I have a few legendary cards but not Ysera, I have enough dust to craft him though. However, I am not sure what this guy does. Gives you a dream card? what is the card (cards) you get from him and how do they help the priest?
Edited by Bahumut on 2/21/2014 11:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Ysera

Every single one of those cards are so OP, you have to literally be insane not to want this treasure trove of love. The most powerful one is the "Dream" card because it's essentially a free Panda card. Lets say you are facing a clear board, you drop Ysera and it gives you the "Dream" card. You think, wtf thats stupid, I can return it to my hand? I just put it down! I dont want it back in my hand! His turn comes and goes after he drops a Rag and adds a little extra onto the 8 that Rag just hit Ysera for, your poor Ysera is now a 4/1 weakling. Well, now do you understand what the Dream card is for? Just keep dropping her over and over and over and over all the while collecting 2 cards every single turn while mr dragonhead over there tries fruitlessly to kill the Ysera. This time, you pull a Ysera Awakens. 5 Damage right. But, its to EVERYTHING, including his face AND his Rag + whatever else is lurking on the board. I dont know about you, but dude, thats freaken TEN damage. For a 2 cost card. SAY WHAT?! Whats you got to say now mr dead Rag! Tap Rag with Ysera 4/12 > 8/3. Guess what happens this time? Tada, Another Dream Card!. Your Ysera is now at full health on the next turn.

This is what playing Ysera is like. It's the card drawing engine that could, and card draw in HS is King, especially for a PRIEST who's cards rely heavily on..... you guessed it, good card advantage/draw because it's a "combo" oriented class. These cards combo with other priest cards exceptionally well as well as with themselves. Check out the Nightmare + Dream combo. Are you drooling yet? I know I am already.

1. Nightmare + Priests buffs....... Need I say more?
2. Dream + Ysera or anything else with a good battlecry.... really? Simply awesome
3. Drake + Priest ..... uh priests LOVE big fat creatures!! That baby is a 7/8 for a priest, 7/6 for other clases, and perhaps bigger with PW:S.
4. Laughing Sister this is the only "Meh" card. Its basically a supped up...... FAERIE DRAGON! Faerie dragon is only the best 2 drop in the game, why wouldnt you want a bigger version for 1 more mana! (3). And thats the "meh" card. WTF lol
5. Ysera Awakens...... This is the nuke all priests wish they had in 1 card. For 2 freakin mana! lol It is a beefed up Soulpriest + Circle of Healing. The best part, It also hits your opponent (SP + CoH does not). AND, it DOESNT kill Ysera like CoH does to SP!

If you cant see the synergy with Priests by now, you're totally blind or completely illiterate.

Here is a list of ALL the cards Ysera brings to the table, all free of charge as in free beer to you:
http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Ysera

Get this baby, it's THE best priest card you could ever want, especially if you're a control priest/late game and who isnt a control priest! lol :D Priests are a late game class and this is a late game card.
Edited by Lancelight on 2/21/2014 3:23 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]