How I Made Legendary (easily!) with Murlocs

Hi everybody,

I know Murlocs are kind of, well, mrghghghgh to play against in ranked, but no one can deny their effectiveness. I had very little trouble ranking up to Legendary from Rank 5 with nearly a 75% win rate on the way. Here is the deck I used. Mulliganing tips will be provided at the bottom.

2x Soulfire (0)
2x Power Overwhelming (1)
2x Voidwalker (1)
2x Flame Imp (1)
2x Young Priestess (1)
2x Murloc Raider (1)
2x Grimscale Oracle (1)
2x Murloc Tidecaller (1)
1x Leper Gnome (1)
2x Knife Juggler (2)
2x Murloc Tidehunter (2)
2x Bluegill Warrior (2)
2x Coldlight Seer(3)
2x Murloc Warleader (3)
1x Leeroy Jenkins (4)
1x Ol' Murk Eye (4)
1x Doomguard (5)

This is similar to a lot of murloc decklists, but certain cards many use (Ironbeak Owl, Mortal Coil) are not present. Instead we have a Doomguard, which won me many games. True, it anti-synergizes with Soulfire and to a lesser extent Leeroy, but if you can get an empty hand Doomguard off it is just amazing, and often discarding one card is no big deal. The idea was to get one more finisher-type card in hand to topdeck when your deck has stalled out.

Mulliganing: Generally mulligan away 3-drops unless your hand really synergizes with it. Always mulligan 4+ drops. Often keep a Soulfire but mulliganing it is okay if your hand has a hole in it. Always toss away Power Overwhelming.

If you go first, you want to drop a Flame Imp (ideal) or other 1-drop. Against hero power classes ideally you will play Voidwalker or Flame Imp, you don't really want him to take a coin-hero power on your 1-drop, although if it's Leper Gnome that's OK.

If you go 2nd, you generally want to coin into either Knife Juggler or two 1 drops.

Often after turn 4 (and almost always from turn 5 on) you will be tapping, so don't be afraid that your hand size seems to shrink dramatically on the first few turns. That is the idea of the deck. The only time you will need to be careful is against the opponent's AoE turn (so if you have a bunch of 1hp dudes on an empty board against a druid going into turn 4, you may wish to wait to see if he has Swipe before dumping your hand on the table, and lifetap instead. Same goes for control warlock). Basically, try not to play into cards you know he is running in his deck unless you need to.

Against another rush deck, especially Murlocs, board control is everything. Take favourable trades. Be willing to soulfire an early drop to take board control. Yes, it feels bizarre to soulfire his turn 1 Leper Gnome but if it combines to give you board control, I suggest you strongly consider it. Generally do soulfire away a turn 1 Flame Imp. Once you have board control your weenie murlocs will trade with his better murlocs and you will dominate the matchup. Your Doomguard will also dominate this matchup as your opponent will have nothing remotely that size (except Leeroy) to counter it.

Against a control or midrange deck we are trying to burn them down, but we still take obviously good trades. This is not a completely mindless "to the face!" hunter or warrior-style rush. If your opponent is able to wipe your board out and have creatures on the board, and have a lot of life remaining, you are going to lose, so you must take favourable trades when you can. The fact that our cards are easily buffed up by Power Overwhelming or the Murloc buffer cards, and the fact that we can Soulfire means that it is quite difficult for an opponent to stop us using only creatures, no matter what they are -- so take good trades! Even a Sunfuried Molten Giant is not nearly enough to stop a Murloc rush as you can just burn through it with your onboard position if he hasn't AoE'd you.

There is more skill in playing a Murloc deck than it seems (it really isn't totally mindless), but many of the plays are pretty scripted, and it's not particularly fun to play against. But, in the current meta it is super effective. And, it's kind of fun to play since you do have meaningful decisions to make on a lot of turns.

Also, it has the huge hidden upside that the games are extremely fast, so you might play 4 or 5 games in the same time a control druid might play a single game. Often, an opponent without AoE will concede on turn 3 or 4. This makes for fast and furius gameplay, which is good, and you can really take a philosophical view on the losses since, well, it's mrrgghghrhgrhgrgh! Good luck and have fun!
Edited by Zirconan on 2/20/2014 3:26 PM PST
Reply Quote
What's the dream opener? I'm thinking for Player 2 it's Coin + 2x Young Priestess.
Reply Quote
#legendary#murloc#rank5nab#lowskill
Reply Quote
Good deck OP, only thing I have a problem with is that damn flame imp. To much of a gamble for me to play it, instead I use Abusive Sergeant in place of it.
Reply Quote
If you've got legendary rank with this deck then people are just stupid. I don't understand how it's even possible, that players cannot defend against aggro murloc deck. It's hilarious, really. I'm only rank 13 and I win against every single deck constructed like yours. AoE, AoE, AoE, and this deck becomes useless I'm afraid. No offence, of course. Not saying that you're bad or something, it's just wrong that people cannot use their brains effectively and defend themselves o.0
Reply Quote
You sir are a genius! With this guide I went from rank 9 to 4 in a day. And I'm still not done for tonight! Thanks so much :D
Reply Quote
Currently trying this deck out with a couple differences. I don't have Leeroy so I swapped in an Arcane Golem. I also don't have Doomguard, so I put in another Leper Gnome. 2-1 so far, will report back when I have a bunch more games in.
Reply Quote
02/22/2014 12:23 PMPosted by Bartop
If you've got legendary rank with this deck then people are just stupid. I don't understand how it's even possible, that players cannot defend against aggro murloc deck. It's hilarious, really. I'm only rank 13 and I win against every single deck constructed like yours. AoE, AoE, AoE, and this deck becomes useless I'm afraid. No offence, of course. Not saying that you're bad or something, it's just wrong that people cannot use their brains effectively and defend themselves o.0

It's one thing to say AoE, AoE, AoE win. It's another to have all of those AoE spells in your hand and have the mana to cast them early enough. I've won (by killing the opponent, not by forfeit) in round 4 a number of times on a murlock deck. It can snowball extremely quickly with the right hand. MurLock is an effective way to reach legendary, and people who lose to it are not bad. It's a solid deck that, like any deck, has some weaknesses. You're correct that AoE is one of them, but always drawing AoE and having the mana to use it early enough is just not always the case. A turn 3 coldlight seer allows a few murlocs to survive your first AoE, so if the warlock is lucky enough to get that off, you'd better hope you're lucky enough to have multiple AoEs before you're dead on turn 6.

This deck is pretty good, although honestly there isn't a huge variation in MurLock builds. I use one mortal coil and one ironbeak owl instead of a doomguard and leper gnome. I think the difference is pretty minimal either way, but I'm going try swapping those two and see what I think. I could see doomguard being good or bad depending on the games, whereas mortal coil is almost always used to cycle a card, and ironbeak owl very often hits a taunt or other annoying minion like frothing berserker etc.
Reply Quote
Thank you, the deck is very consistent and gave me many win streaks, the hint about doomguard was very useful.
But when you get low rank you face A LOT of murlok decks and other zoos, and my first duel with EXaCTLY same deck was hilarious. People should bear in mind, that murlok buffs affect both sides and single enemy old one eye can get +6 from your buffers and along with its own loks and number of lock on both sides of the table it becomes a killer. Finished me with 19 strike with only 3 of his murloks on the table.

Although I made following changes:
Removed:
Both Flame Imps - the deck has so many synergetic openers, that flame imps just doesnt worth the space.
Leroy - tried to keep him for combo with power overwhelming and faceless manipulator on turn 10, but in 90% game ends before turn 7 and if it goes longer, then you are losing board control and Geddon makes WAY better game changes
Added:
Baron geddon - the only way to get board control in mirror deck matchups
Faceless Manipulator - extremely useful because it keeps buffs to make duplicate buffed versions of tough taunts or end game cards. Or for second baron geddon (they damage each other but usualy kill enemy in 2 turns)
Blood Imp - increases the chances for healer in starter hand and lives longer than priestesses and usualy makes good target for power overwhelming.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]