Trump's Cheap Mage Deck - Currently Rank 5

Thought I'd share this - he's currently rank 5 and climbing, using this deck.

http://i.imgur.com/yk7k9Su.png - seems to be fairly accurate from what I can tell

You can watch him play here
http://www.twitch.tv/trumpsc
Reply Quote
No, he's pretty stalled out at 5 actually.
Reply Quote
He just made it to 4.
Reply Quote
I love his deck, almost all commons
Reply Quote
he's 3 now
Reply Quote
I tried this deck myself, replacing an Ogre with Onyxia for lulz(just got her today in a pack and figured I'd mess around with it).

It's a lot of fun. I was in mid rank 10, now I've bumped up to rank 9. My only losses were to people with 4+ legendaries(even then, they were all close, one guy had SIX legendaries and barely beat me)save for one to a lock rush deck when I had an absolutely horrendous opening draw.

Deck is pretty versatile. You've got good removals, good burst, and strong minions in the mid turns to secure the board.

It reminds me a lot of the Rogue/Warrior rush decks that were popular, except better in some ways as it has extra versatility. I was actually doing well against Druids and Shamans, when I normally struggle big time vs. them when I play Rogue/Warrior.

I'd say the only real weakness of this deck is insane early rush decks(like Lock/murloc that I lost to)because your only AOE board clear is Flamestrike which you can't use till turn 7. There are no small cheaper board clears like Swipe/Whirlwind/Consecrate.
Reply Quote
If you want, you can replace the arcane missiles with arcane explosions, and one ogrefist with a pyroblast.
Reply Quote
There's no doubt that Trump is a great player but I'd love to see him do that with another class. Mage is still broken imo, and even if it wasn't the class still has two innate tinkmasters and doesn't really depend on legendaries or cards to begin with.
Reply Quote
I like that the deck is not legendary dependent... I played it too and really enjoyed it.

I've got some legendaries and had thought about dropping them in to see how it played with them (the orgrefists for something else).

fun deck, really enjoyable.

And this is also one of the few Mage threads that has been a great read!
Reply Quote
Nice deck he's using.

I got a Malygos by chance, could it be used instead of an Ogre?

Also thought using a Faceless manipulator, but can't really figure out what to replace it with...

Hoping you would have some thoughts!
Reply Quote
Been enjoying the deck, & the stream.
I've most of this put together, & moved up a few ranks already :)
Not having cash to invest into this, I'm hoping to get lucky opening up a few packs from quests to get a couple legendaries to kick it up a notch.
Reply Quote
I have legendaries to kick it up a notch but don't really see the need to use anything here as his deck is pretty killer as is.
Reply Quote
I was missing 2 cards from this deck so I added 2 frost lances. Great burst with frostbolt and synergy with control deck.
Reply Quote
Great deck. For those curious about legendaries I believe he mentioned he would add Rag, Pagle and Syl into the deck if he was adding legends.
Reply Quote
Rank 2!
Reply Quote
Rank 1!!....... But you forgot to add the * at the end of that statement.
On Europe which has about as much population as Antarctica has Lions. GJ. I am rank 4 on Europe, and rank 18 on NA and it has nothing to do with skill or card collection, but rather population. The more people you have, the more skilled players there are going to be, the less likely you are to string together 9 wins like he has been doing. The fact that I have a Rank 4 on EU says a LOT about the skill population there, or lack of. I cant break 16 on NA let alone 4.

FAIL.
Edited by Lancelight on 2/19/2014 3:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
Totally agree with Lancelight

With this deck you are nothing else then free food on NA unless the opponent is very very unlucky
Reply Quote
I ran across this deck twice, now. I destroyed it. I see the merit of the deck, so I'm thinking RNGeezus wasn't on the other guy's side. I'll probably try this out if my current mage deck fails.
Reply Quote
I have Nat Pagle. What would you take out if you were to put him in? The obvious answer seems to be AI. Any suggestions?
Reply Quote
I watched some of thing and if anything he has 100% proved that a deck without legendaries will almost always lose to a deck without as he seems to constantly get rolled in the higher ranks unless: opponent has bad draw, opponent makes stupid plays. Everytime he ran into an opponent that was actually able to play out whatever their deck was, he would run out of answers very quickly and is constantly in a situation where he "needs" Pyroblast to win, yet refuses to run it, proving nothing.

I guess hes really bored with the game or something to do this and not some statement, because all he proved was that you need legendaries to be competative and skill can only take you so far and the other thing he proved that anyone can climb in ranked after enough time they will get enough lucky wins to rank up eventually.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]