Gladiators Longbow - Explosive Trap

Gladiator's Longbow
Cost 7, Attack 5, Durability 2, Text "Your hero is Immune while attacking."

Explosive Trap
Cost 2, Text "Secret: When your hero is attacked deal 2 damage to all enemies."

I just ran into a situation, Hunter vs Hunter, where the other player had an active Explosive Trap and I had a Gladiator's Longbow equipped. I was at 2 life. They were at 5.

As written, I think that the hero attacking with a Gladiator's Longbow should be immune from the damage dealt by an Explosive Trap. Currently this is not the case, and needless to say, I lost. Not a big deal, but I think the current card text is not clear if the Explosive Trap is intended to take precedence over the Longbow's immunity.
Edited by Mobilesaurus on 2/21/2014 12:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
Technically all the hunter traps that concern attacking go off just before the attack goes through.
Reply Quote
actually you tied blizz doesn't have a pop up that says draw it just has you lost pop up for both players
Reply Quote
02/21/2014 12:55 PMPosted by drfuzzy
actually you tied blizz doesn't have a pop up that says draw it just has you lost pop up for both players

Unless I'm mistaken my attack animation didn't even finish, and I died leaving the other player at 5 health.
Edited by Mobilesaurus on 2/21/2014 1:07 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'm going to agree with you here bud. When you initiate an attack with the Gladiator's Longbow the first thing that happens is you should activate your bubble, kind of like Truesilver Champion activates the heal first.

The language on both cards supports this. Secret: When your hero is attacked, deal 2 damage to all enemies. Therefore you must be attacking to trigger the trap. Your hero is Immune while attacking.

I know my argument might sound silly, but the rules for TCGs are all about precise language!
Reply Quote
A short explanation of how this work:

Truesilver Champion: Heals the Paladin for 2 then attack

Gladiator Longbow ... When u hit something u are immune to the damage u get in return

Explosive trap: Stops the attack just before hero gets hit and deals 2 damage to every enemy, then if enemy survive lets the damage done go through to own hero.

So when attacking a Explosive trap:

Paladin gets his 2hp first, since he gets them BEFORE he attack the hero, and trap activates WHEN he hit the hero, and get the 2damage AFTER

Hunter get hit by 2damage, since Immunity comes AFTER he successfully attack the hero and the trap does the damage BEFORE the hero is hit.

hope this clarify atleast some of the technicality behind those weapon and the trap.
Edited by Luffe on 2/21/2014 5:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
No. The damage is caused by a *spell* that goes off when attacked. The immunity is for damaged caused when you attack a minion, not for damaged received from a spell. Even though the spell damage is 'initiated' by attacking a minion.

Each card is working as intended, and makes sense the way it written. You just learned a lesson... a lesson you had to learn the hard way...
Reply Quote
02/21/2014 09:15 PMPosted by Cephalic
Each card is working as intended, and makes sense the way it written. You just learned a lesson... a lesson you had to learn the hard way...

Nah, if it made sense as it was written there wouldn't be confusion over why the immunity is only partial.
Reply Quote
Traps occur before the attack
Reply Quote
02/21/2014 05:12 PMPosted by Luffe
A short explanation of how this work:

Truesilver Champion: Heals the Paladin for 2 then attack

Gladiator Longbow ... When u hit something u are immune to the damage u get in return

Explosive trap: Stops the attack just before hero gets hit and deals 2 damage to every enemy, then if enemy survive lets the damage done go through to own hero.

So when attacking a Explosive trap:

Paladin gets his 2hp first, since he gets them BEFORE he attack the hero, and trap activates WHEN he hit the hero, and get the 2damage AFTER

Hunter get hit by 2damage, since Immunity comes AFTER he successfully attack the hero and the trap does the damage BEFORE the hero is hit.

hope this clarify atleast some of the technicality behind those weapon and the trap.

Actually that's not quite accurate, even against a truesilver champion, the explosive trap activates and deals 2 damage BEFORE it heals. I reduced a paladin to 0 then he healed to 2 ad KO'd me once because of this. I believe there are alot of issues with the explosive trap concept, these 2 cases r some of them.
Edited by XxSiNxX on 2/22/2014 12:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/21/2014 12:43 PMPosted by Mobilesaurus
Gladiator's Longbow
Cost 7, Attack 5, Durability 2, Text "Your hero is Immune while attacking."

Explosive Trap
Cost 2, Text "Secret: When your hero is attacked deal 2 damage to all enemies."

I just ran into a situation, Hunter vs Hunter, where the other player had an active Explosive Trap and I had a Gladiator's Longbow equipped. I was at 2 life. They were at 5.

As written, I think that the hero attacking with a Gladiator's Longbow should be immune from the damage dealt by an Explosive Trap. Currently this is not the case, and needless to say, I lost. Not a big deal, but I think the current card text is not clear if the Explosive Trap is intended to take precedence over the Longbow's immunity.

You are immune to the damage you would take while attacking the target.

Exp trap is a seperate source.

The cards are working exactly as intended.
Edited by Zoids62 on 2/22/2014 3:11 PM PST
Reply Quote
02/22/2014 03:10 PMPosted by Zoids62

You are immune to the damage you would take while attacking the target.

Exp trap is a seperate source.

The cards are working exactly as intended.

Bro, do you even read?

Here, I'll help you out:

Gladiator's Longbow reads "Your hero is immune while attacking"

Explosive Trap reads "When your hero is attacked, deal 2 damage to all enemies"

The "Immune" ability description reads "Immune characters can't be damaged"

Based on the text of the cards, the following should be true:

- Explosive Trap triggers once you are actually attacked, not before. Therefore, whenever an Explosive Trap is triggered, the unit triggering it is considered to be "attacking".

- While attacking with the Gladiator's Longbow equipped, the attacking hero has "Immune" status. Units with "Immune" status cannot be damaged. Therefore, a hero who is considered to be attacking with a Gladiator's Longbow equipped cannot be damaged.

- Since a hero who is attacking with a Gladiator's Longbow cannot be damaged, and given that a unit triggering an Explosive Trap is considered to be attacking, a hero cannot be damaged while triggering an Explosive Trap. Therefore, a hero who triggers an explosive trap by attacking with a Gladiator's Longbow should not be damaged by that explosive trap.

See how easy it is to use logic? You can do it too! (preferably BEFORE posting)
Reply Quote
- Immune tooltip says "Immune character can't be damaged"
- Hunters with Gladator's Longbow and beasts with "Bestial Wrath" takes damage from explosive trap, but not direct damage.

One of them MUST be wrong. The tooltip must be changed to "Direct damage" or no damage should be taken.
Reply Quote
I see this working alot like how the "stack" works in magic the gathering. You are the active player and when you attack the game checks you for an effect. It sees your bows effect and begins to process it. Then it goes, oh wait, there is an effect from the other player and it puts THAT in line to process then resolves backwards. The explosive trap effect resolves, you take damage, your bow effect tries to resolve, but you are dead.
Reply Quote
It's definitely a questionable mechanic. I agree with that the wording would lead you to think Explosive Trap shouldn't damage your hero with Gladiator's Longbow, and this is probably more of a bug than an intentional outcome caused by the way the game mechanics work.

To all naysayers, you have to think about Gladiator's Longbow in itself. The whole point of equipping this weapon is that you can't die when using it. That's why it costs more 2 mana than an Arcanite Reaper despite having the exact same damage and number of charges.

The reason that Explosive Trap killed the Hunter was because it actually checks before the attack, like when you have a bunch of low health minions attacking you and the Explosive Trap prevents the attack by killing the minion before the attack goes off. You can even see the attack animation reset after the trap. But if you use Bestial Wrath to give a minion Immune when attacking into Explosive Trap, it will not die---so why would the Hunter weapon fail to follow the same example?
Reply Quote
This is an easy explanation. Just use stack mechanics which applies last in, first out rules.

1) Attack opposing Hero with bow. Bow triggers effect because you are attacking.
2) Apply Immune Effect.
3) Attack Hero triggers Explosive Trap because the Hero was attacked.
4) Apply Explosive Trap Damage.

Apply last in first out.
4) Damage applies. You go to 0 HP. Game over.
3) - 1) never happen because the game ends as soon as you hit 0 hp.
Reply Quote
03/17/2014 11:40 AMPosted by Kayas
This is an easy explanation. Just use stack mechanics which applies last in, first out rules.

1) Attack opposing Hero with bow. Bow triggers effect because you are attacking.
2) Apply Immune Effect.
3) Attack Hero triggers Explosive Trap because the Hero was attacked.
4) Apply Explosive Trap Damage.

Apply last in first out.
4) Damage applies. You go to 0 HP. Game over.
3) - 1) never happen because the game ends as soon as you hit 0 hp.

Then how do you explain the example above with a Paladin triggering Explosive Trap with Truesilver Champion, getting reduced to 0, then getting healed to 2 and KOing the opponent?
Reply Quote
Sorry guys but both Cephalic and Zoid62 are correct : the cards are working as intended.

What i´ve learned, the hard way of course: the "when your hero is attacked" component applies when you have something with an actual attack value is going for the hero. Spell cards have no attack values, is only an amount of damage. the only real cards that have an attack value are minions.

What im trying to say is that ONLY an attack from a minion will trigger the "when hero is attacked" component of the cards, and guess what, a hero using a weapon counts as a minion.

Spells are direct damage, so they will not trigger such effect, and Exp trap is a spell card. That is why the inmunity component of the bow didn´t applied, the hunter with the trap did not had a "real" attack value on his own.

I know it sounds weird at the least and some ppl will think it might be a sort of bug...but i´ve seen the same kind of situation on EVERY secret card that i faced/used in the game. Mage´s Ice wall triggered by a minion attacking, but not my arcane shot/Kill command. Oponents hiting me with fireblast to the face but triggering Eye for an eye with a minioin when i use pally, etc, etc.

So, what i apply as a practical rule is: spells will bypass the "hero attacked" effect from secrets, and Gladiator´s will only really make me inmune when you attack minions.

On the other hand, im open to corrections, so whoever gets a recording of this being wrong, plz post it. Thanks is advance =)
Reply Quote
03/17/2014 07:38 PMPosted by RaSTVaMPHuNT
Then how do you explain the example above with a Paladin triggering Explosive Trap with Truesilver Champion, getting reduced to 0, then getting healed to 2 and KOing the opponent?

Same way except both the Explosive damage and TS Champ heal triggers have to resolve before the attack commences. Since both Explosive and TS Champ are triggered on "am I attacking?" not the actual attack itself.

In the previous example, the attack never commences because he is dead.

Just a guess. I'm no expert. But I do know a lot about temporal mechanics!
Reply Quote
This EXACT same scenario happened to me last night and I have to agree it's totally bogus. For all those saying "the cards are working as intended" are so not correct.

When the hunter attacks with the longbow the immunity should trigger at that moment, not when the damage is dealt. The card clearly says you are immune WHILE attacking. Not while taking damage from the attack. Whether the damage comes from a minion or a spell should make no difference. When you attack, you are immune.

Plus, think about the whole point of the card. It's a longbow. Not an axe, not a sword. The reason why you are "immune" is because you are shooting things from a distance and thus they are not close enough to retaliate with their damage. This logic should very much apply to traps as well. You got a trap in front of you? No problem bro will just shoot you from wayyyy back here.

I get why people would think this is not a glitch, and it may not be. However the wording of the cards is not consistent with how the results are played out in gameplay. To me that is a glitch. You could call it a technical glitch or a wording glitch. Either way one of the cards (or both) need to be updated to reflect this issue.

The new Longbow card should read "Hunter is immune while attacking, unless he is hitting another hunter with explosive trap up. Then you are screwed."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]