Gladiators Longbow - Explosive Trap

It's an issue of priority. Secrets will always take priority over the minion or hero that set it off. The text for Gladiator's Longbow says "Hero is immune while attacking." Technically speaking the trigger happens before the attack, which means immunity doesn't apply. The animation makes it pretty lear you'll notice your hero paused when the secret triggered meaning the attack was halted and the hero was no longer attacking.
Reply Quote
AFAIK "immune" just means you don't take retaliation damage. For example, if you bestial wrath a 2-hp beast and then kill an Abomination with it, it'll still die to the deathrattle. So obviously the same applies to heroes.
Reply Quote
The wording on the card isn't very clear, so the original poster would be correct. It might be working as intended, but the wording is just wrong I guess. Post it on the technical support forums or something like that?
Reply Quote
To me this is bug in either way - either it is not "immune" or it wrongly written card's description. When you are using the "Bestial Wrath" in similar situation, your beast is not getting the damage from the trap as is considered immune.
Reply Quote
While I disagree that it should work the way it does, if it is as intended then the animation should be changed (as should the card text tbf). As when I was in this situation myself, my character even had the immunity animation on [as I was in the process of attacking - hovering above my usual character's location], but I still received the damage. If I'm not immune at that time (and hence can take damage) and do take damage from explosive trap, then why should the immune visual be on?

Unless this was changed sometime recently.
Reply Quote
I just ran into this issue and its clearly been around a while but I think I've figured out what is actually going on.
I believe that the issue is that Explosive Trap actually pauses your attack while the activation goes off, therefore not attacking and not immune. Its not obvious from either cards text but I don't think it is a bug. I don't think there is a way they could change the wording to make it obvious without it being awkward or too wordy but it makes more sense to change the interaction to make your Hero Immune to the trap damage.
Reply Quote
03/17/2014 07:41 AMPosted by Bogrim

To all naysayers, you have to think about Gladiator's Longbow in itself. The whole point of equipping this weapon is that you can't die when using it. That's why it costs more 2 mana than an Arcanite Reaper despite having the exact same damage and number of charges.

Actually, I think the point of the card is to simulate the idea of a ranged weapon as opposed to a melee weapon. If you have closed to melee combat then you can take damage from the enemy you are in combat with. If you are firing from a distance then it makes sense that that enemy can't hurt you. However, other things that can hurt you even when you're not in close combat with it should still, logically, be able to hurt you. The longbow isn't supposed to be putting up a shield it is only simulating the idea of attacking from a distance and explosive trap can damage from a distance so it makes sense that you aren't immune from it.

I agree that the wording of the card would lead you to believe that you should be immune but the concept that the longbow embodies would not really lend itself to that interpretation.

So I think it's working as intended to reflect the concept of a long range weapon even if the card text itself is misleading.
Edited by Thrombin on 1/7/2015 1:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
03/17/2014 07:38 PMPosted by RaSTVaMPHuNT
03/17/2014 11:40 AMPosted by Kayas
This is an easy explanation. Just use stack mechanics which applies last in, first out rules.

1) Attack opposing Hero with bow. Bow triggers effect because you are attacking.
2) Apply Immune Effect.
3) Attack Hero triggers Explosive Trap because the Hero was attacked.
4) Apply Explosive Trap Damage.

Apply last in first out.
4) Damage applies. You go to 0 HP. Game over.
3) - 1) never happen because the game ends as soon as you hit 0 hp.

Then how do you explain the example above with a Paladin triggering Explosive Trap with Truesilver Champion, getting reduced to 0, then getting healed to 2 and KOing the opponent?

Two things happening in the same event but game engine resolving them in an order.
Reply Quote
Sorry to necro, but just had this happen, and am convinced it's a bug, seen no official response and this is top google.

Why convinced it's a bug? You GET the blue immunity shield for a split second before the trap goes off, So it's not a matter of priority, the game already knows you're immune. I mean, how else could the trap trigger? Then, there's NO way a trap activating should change your status to not attack while it resolves, then back to attacking after. There's no mechanical or logical reason for it. These should be statuses that carry between functions, but my guess is the trap function is called, and when longbow status is checked it asks which function it's in, and if it's not in the attacking function it doesn't apply. But that's just laziness somewhere.
Reply Quote
I had this happen once, but it makes sense to me considering the explosive goes off before the attack.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]