My Mage Deck - Currently Rank 4 - NO LEGENDARYS/EPICS

Has to be over a 50% win ratio at the rate that I'm winning, but I'm no expert on how everything works in those regards.

**NO LEGENDARYS ARE REQUIRED**

I encourage anyone who enjoys mages, or want's to rank up to take this deck into the Casual play and get a feel for it and then try your best at ranking up!

Also feel free to critique it and gimme your opinions on it.

The Deck: http://imgur.com/oKm109o

My Rank: (This is for the forum white knights): http://imgur.com/bIEAE0B
UPDATE: http://imgur.com/N0jemNx
UPDATE: http://imgur.com/yeukt0X
UPDATE: http://imgur.com/ragUEWC

I'll bold the names of cards so that people can easily find why I chose to use something in the deck without having to read everything if they don't want too.

My thought process when creating the deck? I wanted something that was of my own creation, which gave me incentive to perform better.

I wanted to be a Mage because I was inspired by Trumps deck that had carried me by 5-6 ranks, and now this deck has brought me from Rank 14, to Rank 7, in 2 days.

Basically the deck is full of mana efficient spells and runs minions that have some type of synergy with the spells.

Don't underestimate the Violet Teacher just because you're not a Shaman with Bloodlust or a Druid with Power of the Wild. Those 1/1's are definitely still beneficial and I've won games because of this card.

You see other things such as the classic Mana Wyrm, and the deck runs 1 Ice Barrier because I felt it helped against the ever prevailing aggro decks that are running rampant ever since I hit about rank 10/9.

One Acidic Swamp Ooze because Paladins and Warriors are annoying without it. Faerie Dragon simply because it's a strong two drop that is very very strong against Druids, due to being immune to wrath, so no complaints there.

Arcane Intellect was chosen over the popular Acolyte of Pain because of it's synergy with the more important cards we have chosen for this deck. It synergises with Gadgetzen Auctioneer, Mana Wyrm, and Violet Teacher which are key cards in this deck.

It also contains the standard Fireball/Polymorph. Always remember to try and kill a priority target with a spell that isn't Polymorph if possible! Flamestrike over Blizzard because Blizzard is just really low tier trash, imo, unless you're running some kind of stall deck like Frost Giants.

The kicker to this deck is the secrets, really. Kirin Tor Mage doesn't see much light, if any, in competitive play but it's really a fantastic card. 4/3 for 3 is already pretty good by itself, I will admit it's 3 HP does cause it to die to most 2 drops, but it's no Ethereal Arcanist when played without using its battlecry.

Keep in mind that one of, if not the strongest, turn 2 play in the game is having a Mana Wyrm turn 1, then on turn 2 you coin into Kirin Tor Mage + a Secret (some more preferable over others this early in the game depending on what your up against). This leaves you with a 3/3 and a 4/3 on the board, with a secret for support, at turn two.

Counterspell is not only hard to play against, especially when unexpected, but it's so under used that quite frankly nobody expects it. Honestly, this card is borderline broken. The things it's done for me is ridiculous. I've won more games because of this card then I have with any other card in this entire game. And I mean SOLELY because of this card, no other reason.

Mirror Entity has copied me plenty Cairne Bloodhoofs :) Much win. Very solid secret. No spellbender because quite frankly, it's an epic that I didn't want to invest into and in my opinion Counterspell is the more effective card. You don't know how much AoE I've prevented because of it that spellbender just wouldn't have done for me, and while copying a Mark of the Wild is neat, being able to counter EVERY spell in the game as opposed to having a minion become the new target of any SINGLE target spell is just much more effective in this deck.

That's just a brief run down. You basically adjust your playstyle based on what your up against, but it's essentially a Mid-Range deck with an answer for just about everything.

Hope some of you guys try it and have success with it!
Edited by Chris on 2/24/2014 8:28 PM PST
Reply Quote
I have a mage deck that works around the wyrm, but I see a very big lack of taunters, how are you protecting the wyrms to get them going?
Reply Quote
02/24/2014 03:30 PMPosted by Phalanx
I have a mage deck that works around the wyrm, but I see a very big lack of taunters, how are you protecting the wyrms to get them going?

Needing Taunters to protect the Wyrms isn't a big concern that I've seen.

It's like a streamer I watched last night who said he needed the 3/3 Bear Taunt in his Hunter deck to protect his 2/1 Buzzard.

Keep in mind, you run Counterspell in this deck and if played properly it will negate most forms of removal on your important cards.

A good example is Mana Wyrm out against a Druid, knowing he's going to wrath it, but you have a counterspell up so his turn is basically wasted and you prevail with your Wyrm out for another turn or two. It's not really a matter of protecting the cards with taunts, because you're going to maintain board control with your spells, tokens, and the faerie dragon as well.

Also, never feel compelled to play the Mana Wyrm on turn 1 if you can't follow it up. More importantly, never feel compelled to play it at all when theres nothing to follow it up or you know it's just going to become cannon fodder.

It's something I learned with experience and others will just have to do the same. This deck is more of a learning experience and less of a "I'll just tell you how to play and BAM you're a pro" kind of deck.
Reply Quote
Still winning like crazy to anyone skeptical/interested: http://imgur.com/LMD86OO
Reply Quote
02/24/2014 03:47 PMPosted by Chris
Still winning like crazy to anyone skeptical/interested: http://imgur.com/LMD86OO

It's hard to believe it is doing so well. This deck is pretty vanilla. Are you on the EU or NA servers? And if it's EU, are they really so mediocre that a deck like this can rank high?
Reply Quote

It's hard to believe it is doing so well. This deck is pretty vanilla. Are you on the EU or NA servers? And if it's EU, are they really so mediocre that a deck like this can rank high?

It's NA.

Edit:

I do want to know why you think it's vanilla and mediocre though!
Edited by Chris on 2/24/2014 5:13 PM PST
Reply Quote
I do want to know why you think it's vanilla though! I figured Kirin Tor Mage/Violet Teacher, two cards you'd never see in any competitive mage deck, doesn't seem very vanilla.

Those two cards are the only slightly different ones. And I DO mean slightly, since they have been used in other competitive Mage decks. It just seems that after the nerf to Pyroblast, Mage became quite unpopular.

Do you mean the fact that it has few epics/legendarys?

I mean it's a vanilla mage deck (Arcane Missiles, Frostbolts, Poly, Mana Wyrm, etc). There's no strong gimmick, no strong finishers, and yes, the cards are underwhelming.
Reply Quote
02/24/2014 05:18 PMPosted by Raenex
I do want to know why you think it's vanilla though! I figured Kirin Tor Mage/Violet Teacher, two cards you'd never see in any competitive mage deck, doesn't seem very vanilla.

Those two cards are the only slightly different ones. And I DO mean slightly, since they have been used in other competitive Mage decks. It just seems that after the nerf to Pyroblast, Mage became quite unpopular.

Do you mean the fact that it has few epics/legendarys?

I mean it's a vanilla mage deck (Arcane Missiles, Frostbolts, Poly, Mana Wyrm, etc). There's no strong gimmick, no strong finishers, and yes, the cards are underwhelming.

Well I made it to rank 7 with it :) And rising!

edit:

So by your standards underwhelming cards, and in your eyes no strong gimmicks/strategies(this I disagree with..either a lack of knowledge or simply a put down) can still make it to rank 7+

Guess this game isn't very skillful by your logic!

xD

Hopefully people will rise up in the ranks with my deck though :D
Edited by Chris on 2/24/2014 5:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
mages....
Reply Quote
02/24/2014 05:32 PMPosted by Mercy
mages....

Ikr?
Reply Quote
I bet he plays an anti-mage deck :)
Reply Quote
02/24/2014 05:38 PMPosted by avatar
I bet he plays an anti-mage deck :)

Who me?
Reply Quote
How about your other deck?
Reply Quote
Just hit rank 6.

02/24/2014 05:44 PMPosted by LifeExpander
How about your other deck?

I seriously have no other decks that I use in ranked.

I have a gimmick warlock murloc deck that I use for quests, same for my druid murloc deck that I recently made.

I copied a token shaman deck from EggY's stream, sucked with it in casual so quit that too.

All I use is this one :)
Reply Quote
i think arcane intelect is one of the worst cards you can play

Arcana Intelect is a card for itself. 3 mana

so, you actually get 1 card for 3 mana (cause you used 1 card to get 2 cards)

Thinking this way, i would replace arcane intelect with any low draw minion.

Like Loot Hoarder or Acolyt ( minimum 1 card + a monster with Stats)

just my 2 cents, sry for my bad english btw :)
Edited by Hovorka on 2/24/2014 5:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
i think arcane intelect is one of the worst cards you can play

Arcana Intelect is a card for itself. 3 mana

so, you actually get 1 card for 3 mana (cause you used 1 card to get 2 cards)

Thinking this way, i would replace arcane intelect with any low draw minion.

Like Loot Hoarder oder Acolyt ( minimum 1 card + a monster with Stats)

just my 2 cents

It's used because of the synergy with my deck.

The entire purpose of my deck is for the minions to have synergy with the spells that I cast. It's very spell heavy, but every minion has a way to make my spells give me even more benefit from it.

Arcane Intellect does that better then Acolyte, which is why I use it.

In every other situation though? I agree with you that other cards would be better. But for the purpose of my deck, Arcane Intellect is actually superior.
Reply Quote
well, if your gadgetzan auctioneer is out, thats definitly true - then arcane intellect is worth it.

For a Manawyrm +1 Damage, i think its not a great effect. Most of the time, the Wyrm is Dead in that you play Arcane intellect.
Edited by Hovorka on 2/24/2014 5:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
Is OP rank 4 for real this time?
Reply Quote
02/24/2014 05:46 PMPosted by Chris
I seriously have no other decks that I use in ranked.

Then make it and play it then talk.
Reply Quote
Arcane intellect also gives a +1 to wyrm, and also that 1 card could draw you a spell card to regain control of the field (fireball or aoe) which again adds another +1 to a wyrm.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]