My Mage Deck - Currently Rank 4 - NO LEGENDARYS/EPICS

So after a few days of getting nowhere with my control decks and wanting to nerd rage every time I had to endure a rush game, I stumbled over here and decided to try this deck out.

The battles haven't been fast, but I've smashed every single player I've come across. You're right OP, the secrets really seem to throw people off since they haven't really been seen since the Molten Giant days (forever ago in TCG terms, right?).

My only issue is this has all been in unranked, where people are playing around with control just to get away from all the hunters and warlocks (and I've been seeing a lot of Priests, so obviously Counterspell is just eating them alive). I'm not sure how I'm going to beat all the rush decks once I head into ranked, though. I'd like to echo Lub and ask how you deal with all the aggro decks, Chris? It takes a bit to get the tokens rolling with the Violet Teacher, and Flamestrike is late game. I'm kind of at a loss as to how I'm not going to be losing by turn 5. Obviously it's working for you, so can you tell me where I'm going wrong in my thinking?

Thanks for sharing this, by the way, tons of fun!
Reply Quote
I get destroyed with this deck.

I'm usually a bad player, but I'm stuck at 25 with it.

It gets 100% dominated in the early game.
Reply Quote
This deck isn't bad, but it's super weak early game and as a result lives and dies by the RNG.
Reply Quote
hmm. seems nice, but what about adding legends like archmage and leeroy? just wondering because i do have them and they are fun to use :P
Reply Quote
I'm back after my comment about me getting destroyed.

I started to play the cards right, and wallah. Rank 16.

Epic deck, getting a coin, frostbolt, icelance (I think I added that one in myself) and mana wrym is instant win.

Has trouble with Hunter decks and rush decks, however.
Reply Quote
This one's pretty weak nowadays, I've improved it to the point i can smash my rank 6 friend but, for some reason can't rank up against rush decks. I went taunt heavy and AOE as well.. still working on it
Reply Quote
A few hours ago I posted a rant on the mage forums about how there's no point in playing a mage when you can play a shaman. An hour ago I started playing this deck, and haven't lost yet. Given this is only on un-ranked, it's still far better than I usually do. I think people don't expect the seeming random and mediocre cards which this deck uses. I think it's the mediocrity of the deck which makes it exceptional, and it's lack of a gimmick make it more robust to hard counters.

Anyways, thanks for the inspiration.
Reply Quote
Thanks for posting this deck Chris, I'm a relatively new player (a few weeks) and my mediocre mage deck went out the window with this one, plus it really showed me some of what I've been missing so far with deck building strategy. I was pretty successful with it in about 10 ranked games (started at level 20) but then modified it somewhat. Not because I found the deck lacking at all, I just don't want to be totally dependent on someone else's work and ideas to be successful. My changes:

Took out: 1 Mana Wyrm, 1 Faerie Dragon, 2 Violet Teacher

Added: 1 Mirror Image, 1 Arcane Explosion, 1 Ethereal Arcanist, 1 Sen'jin Shieldmasta

Originally took out both Wyrms and Faeries and replaced the others with Sylvanas and a Sorcerer's Apprentice but reversed both of those decisions.

It's still mostly the same of course and plays similar, the main difference is that with the two taunters and Explosion it helps mitigate the issue I had a couple times where I either didn't get the Gadgetzans and Teachers until late or I was getting hit too much early and having to use a bunch of spells to hang on. The trade-off is Wyrm and Faerie are less likely to come out early and not having the Teachers makes me weaker later in the game without being able to spam those 1/1s. I like having the Arcanist in there because sometimes you get lucky and it gets big but even if the usual happens and it's destroyed immediately it draws a removal that might have been used on a Gadgetzan or Drake later. So far it's working just as well for me, I've played at least 10 matches with it and have won most of them, I'm up to level 14 in ranked now.

My most recent match was quite fun and surely frustrating for my opponent who probably thought that having three Legendarys in his hand later in a fairly neutral game put him in great position. First he played Ragnaros who killed a Mirror Image with his skill - Polymorphed immediately. Next turn is Tirion with his divine shield and great deathrattle - Polymorphed again. Next turn he drops Gruul - Fireball and Frostbolt.
Reply Quote
i have a decent no legendary card deck that does really well. only downfall is that i don't always get good shuffles so i go on loosing streaks that keep me in the 17-19 ranks...... this is my build take a look try it out n give me your opinions plz

http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/mage#4:2;26:1;30:2;44:1;56:2;131:1;157:1;176:1;177:2;188:1;263:2;411:1;422:1;450:1;489:1;522:2;523:1;531:1;545:1;589:2;604:1;614:1;672:1;]

i think i should be doing much better then i am but i keep running into ppl at rank 17-18 that are stacked with legends that i cant do anything about if the game goes on too long ( usually take a win around 6-8 manna crystals when my cards are coming out well, no matter what legends im up against )

if you are interested in playing this deck the email to add in your friends list is kiewren@yahoo.ca
Reply Quote
Sorry buddy but that aint a "decent no legendary card deck".

Its a pretty bad deck, no wonder why you cant pass trough rank 17 with it.
Reply Quote
where have i gone wrong and what should i change?
Reply Quote
I just wanted to login and say that this deck is really fun and Ive enjoyed playing it.
I know the card games are about creating your own deck instead of copying off the internet but sometimes those that arent very smart just cbf doing that.

So thank you for such a fun deck
Reply Quote
The changes I made above didn't end up working out at all and I went back to Chris' original. Rank 11 now but still experimenting with other ideas. I just replaced a Violet Teacher with an Amani Berserker, I'll see how that goes.
Reply Quote
03/23/2014 08:27 AMPosted by TheShovel
The changes I made above didn't end up working out at all and I went back to Chris' original. Rank 11 now but still experimenting with other ideas. I just replaced a Violet Teacher with an Amani Berserker, I'll see how that goes.

You are replacing key cards of the deck, it only will make it weaker. Violet is a must in this deck, so it is mana wyrm (as in ANY mage deck).

If you want to experiment, consider:

take out ice barrier, one gadgetzan, faerie dragon, one arcane missile, ooze

cards to consider put in:

armani berzerk, spellbender, wil pyromancer, arcane explosion (combo with pyromancer, good against rush), faceless manipulator.

This are just some ideas.
Reply Quote
Thanks, yeah, I had come to the same conclusion with those decisions. I like the Amani Berserker in there but later switched out a Gadgetzan to put the 2nd Teacher back in; lower mana cost and with two Gadgetzans I sometimes overdraw my deck and run some risk there. Since I took out a Gadgetzan I also took out an Arcane Intellect in favor of an Acolyte of Pain but I think I'm going to change that too. Faceless Manipulator is a great suggestion but I don't have one, I probably do have some things I could DE without missing and get the dust.
Reply Quote
crap deck
Reply Quote
This deck is challenging and pretty fun.

Thanks for sharing.

I literally have to think through my turn "properly"! And I like that!
Reply Quote
03/23/2014 06:52 PMPosted by SoulSinGG
crap deck

And which mage deck isnt?
Reply Quote
Been a very long time but I'm glad even more people had success with the deck.

I took a break from Hearthstone so both this and my mid-range Hunter deck threads were not bumped, but I'm going to try both out again and see how far in the ladder I make it.

Thanks for the support everyone!

edit: Just going to edit and say I made a few changes to the deck as of today and this is what I've come up with.

http://imgur.com/wfbJMH1

It's still working so far, haven't lost a game yet. :)
Edited by Chris on 6/19/2014 10:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This is actually a really fun deck! Struggling at rank 10-14 with it though. How are you surviving against zoo and rush decks?
Edited by Idunhavaname on 6/24/2014 3:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]