Priest overhaul suggestions

All awful cards that use up space in the Priest repertoire without contributing almost anything.

Silence:

Would only be good if priest had enough good low cost spells to design a deck around auctioneer. Since they don't it's extremely slot inefficient, and priests have mass dispel anyway. Either increase the cost and give it draw or remove it and add something else. For example, a solid 2-3 drop with a silence battlecry would be fine.

Shadow Word: Pain:

It gets 2-for-1d by any minion with a battlecry or a deathrattle and can at best 1-for-1. It also doesn't have the benefit of being versatile the way a damage spell is (being able to go for face or help kill a bigger creature). Replace it with some interesting form of low-cost board clear/removal based on damage rather than just killing, instead.

My suggestion would be Mind Sear: 3-drop, deal 3 damage to a primary target minion and 1 to the minions on either side.

More damage spells also has the benefit of making priest spellpower decks viable, thereby increasing variety in deckbuilding.

Divine Spirit and Inner Fire:

Awful cards. Just because they pull off a turn 5 OTK one in every 100 games doesn't mean they're good or provide good gameplay. Generally, by the time you're done pumping 3-4 cards into a minion it will get removed, tinked or silenced. The few times this doesn't happen it's equally frustrating and pointless for the enemy. They are simply bad design and should be removed. Replace them with early game stuff so that priests can actually beat rush decks without needing wild pyro in every deck and then praying you actually get it along with PW:S and Smite in your opening hand.

Holy Fire:

For Holy fire lower the cost to a 5 drop and lower it's healing to compensate. At 6 cost it competes with Cairne, Sylvanas, Temple Enforcer and Cabal Shadow priest for the slot. Tbh maybe reduce the cost of temple enforcer and it's stats/battlecry as well and make it a 5-drop too. There are too many great neutral 6-drops and almost no good 5-drops (aside from azure drake, which is good in spell power decks only) since the Sylvanas nerf.

Shadow Word: Death:

Making things like Ysera and twilight drake impossible for priests to outright remove with their removal spell perpetuates the issue of seeing tinkmaster in every deck ever. Just increase the cost to 4 and include things with 4 attack please.

Tbh I'd love to see Mindgames, thoughtsteal and Mindvision gone too and replaced with something actually consistent, but that's probably asking for too much. Oh well.
Edited by Pawwz on 2/21/2014 6:56 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/21/2014 02:24 AMPosted by Pawwz

Tbh I'd love to see Mindgames, thoughtsteal and Mindvision gone too and replaced with something actually consistent, but that's probably asking for too much. Oh well.

These are the cards that all new players whining about Priests complain about anyway. I can't really think of a reason that Blizzard has kept Priests so consistently bad other than Priests really aggravate new players. Maybe if we changed those cards we could give the Priests actually decent non-RNG control cards.
Reply Quote
02/21/2014 02:31 AMPosted by Rorshock520

These are the cards that all new players whining about Priests complain about anyway. I can't really think of a reason that Blizzard has kept Priests so consistently bad other than Priests really aggravate new players. Maybe if we changed those cards we could give the Priests actually decent non-RNG control cards.

Nope even legend players hate Thoughtsteal, and yes it's a stupid mechanic.
Reply Quote
02/21/2014 02:24 AMPosted by Pawwz

Shadow Word: Death:

Making things like Ysera and twilight drake impossible for priests to outright remove with their removal spell perpetuates the issue of seeing tinkmaster in every deck ever. Just increase the cost to 4 and include things with 4 attack please.

Lmao, Lol just no, I myself play a priest, and their a strong enough control, what their lacking is in the monster department and their gimmicky spells (thoughtsteal/mindgames/blah blah blah). I don't want to see priests become the OP of the OP, because 4 mana to secure the priests of all it's weaknesses, is not just overhauling, it makes it broken... I guarentee you if this happens, as it is, we ALL know many people hate versusing priest, this will just crush them. Besides, I highly doubt Blizzard will do something like this.

I like how a lot of you guys want to fix priests, but all I ever see anyone for that matter who wants to change a class, they make absurd suggestions that would otherwise break the class... Do you guys even take a thought into making your propositions? Really? -_-
Reply Quote
How would you guys feel about these changes?

Temple Enforcer (5 Mana)
4 Attack/5 Health: Battlecry: Give a friendly minion +2 Health or enemy minion -1 Attack

*Remove Holy Smite from game*

Shadow Word: Pain (2 Mana)
Deal 1 Damage. If the Minion has an Attack of 3 or less, destroy it.

Shadow Word: Death (3 Mana)
Deal 2 Damage. If the Minion has an Attack of 5 or more, destroy it.

I think the changes are self explanatory. New Temple Enforcer allows Priests to have an innate method to manipulate 4 Attack Minions without relying on Alchemists/Sergeants/Dwarfs. The new secondary effects of Pain and Death allows them to be used in more situations albeit inefficiently (Can also be utilized by Spell Damage).

Overall I hate a majority of the Priest's expert cards. If they aren't complete RNG, they are those gimmicky Lightwell/Lightspawn/Inner Fire/Divine Spirit cards that offer no synergy to any other play style of the Priests.
Reply Quote
Lightwell should heal a damaged friendly character at the end of your turn rather than start.
This card is useless right now as-is.

I like the suggested changes to SW:Pain & SW:Death listed above.
Edited by MadJohnny on 2/21/2014 7:25 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]