What would happen if blizzard nerfed Warl...

What would happen if blizzard nerfed the Warlock HeroPower, instead of these recent patch changes listed below. In order of newest to oldest:

---
Blood Imp is now a 0/1 (down from 1/1) and now reads: Stealth. At the end of your turn, give another random friendly minion +1 Health.
The Warlock has three very strong 1-cost minions and that made the Warlock rush deck slightly stronger than we were comfortable with.
--
Flame Imp’s Battlecry now deals 3 damage (up from 2).
This minor change should help bring the warlock’s early game down a small amount. We’re keeping our eye on other cards that help the Warlock maintain early board advantage and will make additional changes if necessary in a future patch.
--

Blizzard knows they are dealing with a lasting problem.
Why not change the Hero Power to: Take 2 damage. Draw a card at the start of your next turn ? Then they could try to balance things from there. Few Hero Power changes have been made. The only one I know of is the Shaman Healing Totem.
Edited by Reparist on 2/24/2014 7:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
The only problem they are trying to address is the rush meta. Popular and efficient its fun to play and owns noobs. The problem wont ever be solved imo and people just need to adapt to it. Lock card draw is balanced as it has 2 costs and 1 gain. 2 life, 2 mana. You are suggesting a 3rd cost of 2 life 2 mana and no return until next turn which doesn't follow suit to any other hero-power.
Reply Quote
02/24/2014 08:20 AMPosted by Rusery
You are suggesting a 3rd cost of 2 life 2 mana and no return until next turn which doesn't follow suit to any other hero-power.

I agree with this sentiment, but warlocks are alone already with a hero power that draws. It makes any deck more of what it can be instead of having to capitalize on: a minion or a healing/damaging effect. That it deals 2 damage could be enough to compensate. But I think there are better handicaps then damage. Won't instantly turning damage into cards always be broken?...no matter what duel-based card game we talk of.

However, there is no other hero power to compared it to. *shrugs*
Edited by Reparist on 2/24/2014 9:57 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/24/2014 06:36 AMPosted by Reparist
Blizzard knows they are dealing with a lasting problem.
Why not change the Hero Power to: Take 2 damage. Draw a card at the start of your next turn ? Then they could try to balance things from there. Few Hero Power changes have been made. The only one I know of is the Shaman Healing Totem.

no
Reply Quote
Yeah, warlock has the best hero power, but also the worst class cards, all big minions sucks (pitlord, infernal, terror), AOE removal is global, there isn't one efficient minion, removal spells are expensive.
Reply Quote
And all of this to keep a class drawing for a HP? Make the HP draw increment the resulting card by 1 mana or give the hero a random discard at the end of turn. I wonder if Blizzard tried other hurt me heal me exchanges for the Lock. I'd like to see an ability less one-sided.
Reply Quote
02/24/2014 10:50 AMPosted by Reparist
And all of this to keep a class drawing for a HP? Make the HP draw increment the resulting card by 1 mana or give the hero a random discard at the end of turn. I wonder if Blizzard tried other hurt me heal me exchanges for the Lock. I'd like to see an ability less one-sided.

The 2 Life cost in addition to the 2 mana is huge. Random discard? Really? Why not have the Mage ability deal 1 damage randomly, or the Pally ability summon a 1/1 minion for both the pally and the enemy.
Reply Quote
Pally ability summon a 1/1 minion for both the pally and the enemy

If having 1/1 minion was as important, popular, and game-deciding as drawing a card, they might need to lessen the ability. But not what you suggest above that would attempt to nullify the HP (and cause the problem of forcing minions onto the Opp. side in any game at any time)

Why not have the Mage ability deal 1 damage randomly,

Not comparable, that would make fireblast almost worthless. instantly.

I am not suggesting making the Lock draw unusable. If the drawn Lock card cost one more...decks could work around/with that. If they had to discard a card (assumuing they had a card left) at end of turn ...decks could work around/with that. And both would mitigate the Lock advantage into a lesser, but still dominate HP. There is a whole game that is played between the Warlock using/abusing it's HP and feeling it's effects. Which other HP's do that?

The early benefit of the draw is not balanced by the loss of life that is felt later. Blizzard seems to be stuggling with this. I ask you how much the nerfing of the various Imp's abilities has done to slow the Lock down?
Edited by Reparist on 2/24/2014 11:47 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/24/2014 11:25 AMPosted by Reparist
Pally ability summon a 1/1 minion for both the pally and the enemy

If having 1/1 minion was as important, popular, and game-deciding as drawing a card, they might need to lessen the ability. But not what you suggest above that would attempt to nullify the HP (and cause the problem of forcing minions onto the Opp. side in any game at any time)

Why not have the Mage ability deal 1 damage randomly,

Not comparable, that would make fireblast almost worthless. instantly.

I am not suggesting making the Lock draw unusable. If the drawn Lock card cost one more...decks could work around/with that. If they had to discard a card (assumuing they had a card left) at end of turn ...decks could work around/with that. And both would mitigate the Lock advantage into a lesser, but still dominate HP. There is a whole game that is played between the Warlock using/abusing it's HP and feeling it's effects. Which other HP's do that?

The early benefit of the draw is not balanced by the loss of life that is felt later. Blizzard seems to be stuggling with this. I ask you how much the nerfing of the various Imp's abilities has done to slow the Lock down?

The Lock ability is balanced. Imps have nothing to do with it, in fact some Lock decks don't even use Imps.
Reply Quote
Changing the Imps did little. *nods*
Reply Quote
Ummm... yeah. Sounds like somebody got owned by a Rush deck. How about this, try taking a Warlock and making something OTHER than Rush and see how well it works out. And then try taking the deck up against somebody who is NOT terrible and see how well it works out. (Hint - In the long run it probably won't.) You can beat up noobs with just about any type of deck, but against decent players Warlock doesn't do so hot. Other classes have far more efficient cards, and far better synergy. At the moment, Warlock pretty much only has Rush going for it. And I for one would happily take a nerf to that play style, if it meant that the class cards were buffed so that it could compete on an equal level.
Reply Quote
The biggest issue with the whole health draw mechanic, and the warlocks design where they are meant to sacrifice their own health in order to use spells, is that HS core mechanics favor agro over everything else.

The only cards which are able to defend are the ones with the 'taunt' ability, none of warlocks cards apart from Void have taunt, and its a drop that only works well in early game. There is felgaurd, but it is utter !@#$

There are very little to no counter cards generally speaking. HS only have secrets, which is limited to specific classes, and even the number of secrets in this game is really low for the classes that have them. There is no way for warlocks to deal with incoming spell damage, which makes any sought of warlock life loss based deck hard countered by anything from mage to even a double swipe starcall druid

HS needs some fairly significant changes in regards to counter/defense mechanics to actually balance things out, so that every deck doesn't require argus/protector to just have their cards able to 'defend' (even if they are missing the taunt ability). This is even more critical for warlock, whos demon cards appear to favor defense over offense (pit lord, doomguard, felguard)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]