A Hunter's thoughts on UtH

I like playing a hunter, it was my favourite deck before the last round of card changes and I was even running the old four mana UtH. The unpredicability and combo mechanics make every game a fresh challenge and a little more... wild... than other classes seem to be.

However, I think the latest buff to UtH may have been a little bit overboard.

In a Vacuum, Unleash the Hounds is most comparable to Arcane Explosion. 1 damage for every creature an opponent controls, with the tradeoff of having to dodge taunters for the ability to gang up on a single target. From this view, it makes perfect sense that Unleash the hounds should cost 2 instead of its original 4.

However, what this vacuum view fails to take into consideration is that Hunters have a great number of other tools, low cost tools at that, at their disposal to use UtH in other ways. Timber Wolf is not the worst offender here, as he might as well read +1 spell damage. Instead it's the cards Scavenging Hyena and Starving Buzzard that can turn a four mana investment into drawing 2-4 cards or an 8/5 Hyena in addition to summoning your hounds.

The real issue here is not so much that this combo exists, it's that these combos can be played on turn four with no time to react from the opponent.

I believe that 3 is a more reasonable cost for such powerful utility.
Reply Quote
Let me preface this with the idea that I don't often play a hunter, and I have yet to touch ranked because I'm really new. Also, I'm really new.

I wonder if the argument that they the combo is played on turn 4 is really relevant, though. If you're going to play UtH on turn 4, exactly how many minions is your opponent going to have for those purposes? Three, maximum, if they're playing murlocs. But, more likely 2.

Further, a hunter's opponent should *know* this is going to happen, and should aggressively trade minions whenever possible. I'm not sure it's busted as is, but, again, I'm new.
Reply Quote
The problem of UtH is that the hounds don't die at the end of the turn, and damages are configurable compared to Arcane Explosion, which makes it strictly better than the mage counterpart, not to mention ridiculous hunter synergy
Reply Quote
Honestly I think they should just remove charge. They're beasts, and beasts have Tundra Rhino to grab charge from. So it's basically just a bit more setup for a combo, or one extra turn for the opponent to answer. It'll still work with the usual combos, it'll have utility for trading minions given support, etc.
Reply Quote
02/26/2014 10:48 PMPosted by Oniyui
Honestly I think they should just remove charge. They're beasts, and beasts have Tundra Rhino to grab charge from. So it's basically just a bit more setup for a combo, or one extra turn for the opponent to answer. It'll still work with the usual combos, it'll have utility for trading minions given support, etc.

Your practically saying add 5 mana to the card. You truly think 7 mana UTH is viable? A whole deck is based on pulling off a combo.
Reply Quote
02/26/2014 10:16 PMPosted by Aryax
The problem of UtH is that the hounds don't die at the end of the turn, and damages are configurable compared to Arcane Explosion, which makes it strictly better than the mage counterpart, not to mention ridiculous hunter synergy

It's the incredible synergy this card offers. This card can allow you to create an 8/5 hyena and even draw 5 cards...all on top of keeping board presence. For 2 mana....this card still needs to be looked at.
Reply Quote
02/27/2014 10:30 AMPosted by Infest

It's the incredible synergy this card offers. This card can allow you to create an 8/5 hyena and even draw 5 cards...all on top of keeping board presence. For 2 mana....this card still needs to be looked at.

Incorrect.

It takes 6 mana, 3 specific cards, and requires the enemy board to have at least 4 minions (which, by the way, could make a 10/6 Hyena, not an 8/5).

UtH is fine. I am willing to grant that Buzzard might be too cheap (and a 2/3 Buzzard for 3M has other advantages).
Reply Quote
02/26/2014 10:16 PMPosted by Aryax

they only don't die if they go for the face or you have a whole field of 0 attack minions(your own dumb fault for that)

ae dont care bout taunts it hits all creatures, uth needs to hit taunts first
Reply Quote

Instead it's the cards Scavenging Hyena and Starving Buzzard that can turn a four mana investment into drawing 2-4 cards or an 8/5 Hyena in addition to summoning your hounds.

The real issue here is not so much that this combo exists, it's that these combos can be played on turn four with no time to react from the opponent.

I believe that 3 is a more reasonable cost for such powerful utility.

Really at turn 4.. How many minions can your opponent have on the board? At turn 4 lets say your opponent have 4 minions you summon a buzzard or a hyena

That means u get max 4 damage on turn 4 big whoop. Hyena can't do nothing till next turn at turn 4 or 5 your opponent should have something that can counter your hyena or take out the buzzard.

Thing is I have beat many hunters with my Pally and Shaman. Learn to play some taunts and silence cards in your deck problem solved.
Ironbeak Owl this is a very good 2 mana card which is in every single deck I made for all my classes. Boom pop this on the hyena and it's useless.
Reply Quote

UtH is fine. I am willing to grant that Buzzard might be too cheap (and a 2/3 Buzzard for 3M has other advantages).

Also agree to this maybe a 3 mana buzzard with maybe 3 Attack and 3HP for each card draw loose 1 HP. So max 3 draws from a buzzard. That would be much better. UTH is fine. The card draw might be a little insane at time. Most games u not even lucky enough to get buzzard and UTH in the same hand at least buzzard can survive maybe long enough to get a 2nd card draw if they change it like that.
Edited by DieBaasMan on 2/28/2014 9:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
02/28/2014 09:18 AMPosted by DieBaasMan
Also agree to this maybe a 3 mana buzzard with maybe 3 Attack and 3HP for each card draw loose 1 HP. So max 3 draws from a buzzard. That would be much better. UTH is fine.

SO Northshire should lose 1 Max (because HP is a heal) per card draw?
Cult lose 1 HP per minion death?

That part isn't necessary
Reply Quote
its true, if you put UTH in any other class it will be logical it costs 2 but with all the combos a hunter can build on it its value skyrockets and it becomes the most broken and over powere card curently in the game.
Reply Quote
Every class has some really strong cards. For hunters it's unleash the hounds. Still, it's a situational card (most druids never have more than 2 minions on the field just like mages) and right now the hunter hasn't really got a lot of good board clears.

It's strong, but it's not strong enough to have a big influence on the meta. Maybe a month ago UtH was too strong but right now people have learned to deal with it. Hunters aren't the strongest class (by a distance) and UtH creates some interesting dilemmas, even for the one using it. Today I was too quick on the trigger against a shaman, my UtH didn't have enough effect and once it was used he could flood the board.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]