Isn't the Priest ability way better?

I get the Priest can't heal itself over 30 but atleast it can heal minions where the warrior can't.
Reply Quote
Pretty much. There are a few cases where armor is better than health but in most cases I'd rather have the heals.

You don't play warrior for the ability.
Reply Quote
Yea I'm not a warrior but just based on the abilities I was curious if there was something I was missing about it.
Reply Quote
I think the ability is fine on its own. What it lacks is synergy with cards. As it is, it's not very flexible.

We can use it for the following off the top of my head:

- Mitigating dmg received from removals through weapon use.

- Shield Slam.

And... Actually, that's about it, lol. You have Armorsmiths that can really ramp up your armor value, and more armor is never a bad thing, but there isn't much in the way of interaction with the board with the power.

My suggestion here would be to add stuff like... I dunno... Spike Shield spell? If attacked, your armor deals dmg equivalent to its value to the minion that attacked your hero. So if you have 5 armor, then 5 dmg is dealt to the minion. Could be a bit OP, but you can always tweak the value of such a spell, yes?

Anyway, general idea is that you can do more than what he has to make it more of a threat. If you're creative, he could potentially do some nasty stuff with it.

But yes, as it is, it is a bit limited in scope.
Reply Quote
03/03/2014 02:54 PMPosted by ALtER
I get the Priest can't heal itself over 30 but atleast it can heal minions where the warrior can't.

Priests also don't have Gorehowl, Fiery War Axe, or Arcanite Reaper.
Reply Quote
Weapons/Damage mitigation not to mention in some cases freeze has to deal damage and armor doesn't count. Water elementals are becoming quite popular among mages.
Edited by Peripatetic on 3/4/2014 2:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
03/03/2014 04:31 PMPosted by ALtER
Yea I'm not a warrior but just based on the abilities I was curious if there was something I was missing about it.

2 things you're missing. The first is the synergy with Shield Slam, the second is that you can armor up at any time, even if you're at 30 health. Other than these 2 you can make the claim that the Priest hero power is straight out better, however comparing hero powers without taking the entire class into consideration is just wrong. Warrior's hero power fits the class perfectly and allows you to aggressively use your weapon to remove your opponent's minions while not dropping your life total by too much. That's a perfect hero power for what the Warrior class needs, so regardless of how it compares to a different class, it fits like a glove for the Warrior class, which is how hero powers should all be.
Reply Quote
I played vs control warrior and had +25 armor so here's your answer......
Reply Quote
03/03/2014 10:46 PMPosted by Elendil

Priests also don't have Gorehowl, Fiery War Axe, or Arcanite Reaper.

They can if they get lucky...
Reply Quote
03/03/2014 06:09 PMPosted by Tandem
My suggestion here would be to add stuff like... I dunno... Spike Shield spell? If attacked, your armor deals dmg equivalent to its value to the minion that attacked your hero. So if you have 5 armor, then 5 dmg is dealt to the minion. Could be a bit OP, but you can always tweak the value of such a spell, yes?

That idea would work if Spike shield was a weapon instead of a spell, it costed around 5 or 6 mana and had a durability of 2.
I to feel that "armor" is a great concept that hasn't been explored properly, I don't think that Warrior got this ability to "turtle" but I do thing that there should be more spells and minions that work with this (Like for example a spell that let's you draw 1 card for each 2 points of armor you have)
Edited by RoyalNaga on 3/9/2014 5:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/09/2014 05:08 PMPosted by RoyalNaga
(Like for example a spell that let's you draw 1 card for each 2 points of armor you have)

The most armor i've ever had was 42, so there needs to be a limit.
Reply Quote
Armor has outright won me matches where my opponent gets paranoid and focused their mana and cards to wittle down 7-10 armor while I buffed and maintained board control. Sure in some situations it's plinked off easily, but it can at least waste a turn/cards and mana for your opponent :]
Reply Quote
Armors immunity to Alexstraza is a nice plus too!
Reply Quote
Armor enables us to directly elimate big threats like Ragnaros, while taking minimal damage.

With an early game Arathi Weaponsmith and some armor, you'll gain and keep control so easily.
Edited by Roxas on 3/14/2014 12:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Id say they are pretty much equal. You could argue warrior hero ability is second best in the game behind the warlocks. Armor is such that if it ever gets to out of control weather it be through spamming hero ability or use of armorsmith/shield block, then the game just gets too far out of reach for your opponent.

Not too many hero abilities can do that.
Reply Quote
Warrior pretty much has the worst class ability in the game, but the class specific cards are what makes up for it. It's a bit too static and it doesn't really fit the theme of the warrior class in my opinion.
Reply Quote
03/23/2014 09:43 AMPosted by DragoonC
Warrior pretty much has the worst class ability in the game, but the class specific cards are what makes up for it. It's a bit too static and it doesn't really fit the theme of the warrior class in my opinion.

Yes thematically it doesn't because IMHO "Armor Up" is more of a Knight/Paladin ability if you ask me, warriors have not historically worn a lot of armor they focus more on speed and attack damage, so if I had my way I'd actually switch the Pally and Warrior abilities since Grommash is the head of a Horde and redesign the class from ground up with "horde" cards instead of armoring up.

Cards-wise though, the armor up ability sucks by itself however it is necessary because you have all these weapons you damage yourself with. Blizz also gave warriors a lot of armor cards like shield slam so it makes sense to have the Warrior armor up. While not exactly amazing, the good thing about warriors is you can stack it so ironically if you like control it's a good way to stall/bide time. Plus you make all the huntards QQ so it's all good ^_^
Reply Quote
03/25/2014 02:23 AMPosted by roslolian
03/23/2014 09:43 AMPosted by DragoonC

Yes thematically it doesn't because IMHO "Armor Up" is more of a Knight/Paladin ability if you ask me, warriors have not historically worn a lot of armor they focus more on speed and attack damage

Ahhh the historical concept of the fantasy warrior.
Reply Quote
Come on, seriously, warrior's ability sucks, yes it provides synergy with some cards but that's the least you can ask. It offers absolutely no control tools nor will it help you being aggressive. You won't be able to contain an aggro deck while building significantly your armor. And against a real control deck it is completely useless, only a fool would care about your armor increasing, once you're playing top deck while the opponent has a full hand you could have 100 armor that it wouldn't change anything.

I'm not hating on warriors, I would like it to be different but you have to admit that in comparison with the abilities some other classes have it's a disgrace.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]