Let's build a deck together!

I'm changing this thread to be a collaborative effort for those who enjoy playing priest. Let's try out some ideas, with the theme of the deck being control, taunts, and getting the most out of the hero ability on minions. I'll be the guinea pig and play the deck as we change it (if I have the cards). You suggest a change, and I'll take the hit if it fails. Here's what I'm going with so far:

Updated deck list 4/14:

2x Circle of Healing
1x Silence
2x Holy Smite
2x PW:Shield
2x Northshire Cleric
2x Ancient Watcher
2x Sunfury Protector
1x SW:Death
2x Injured Blademaster
1x Chillwind Yeti
2x Defender of Argus
2x Holy Nova
1x Faceless Manipulator
2x Fen Creeper
2x Boulderfist Ogre
2x Temple Enforcer
1x Ragnaros
1x Mind Control

Original List:
2x PW: Shield
2x Lightwarden (had some sweet combos with this and Holy Nova)
2x Northshire Cleric
2x SW: Pain
1x Ancient Watcher (I've been able to give him taunt almost every time)
1x Sunfury Protector
1x SW: Death
2x Injured Blademaster
1x Chillwind Yeti
2x Defender of Argus
1x Lightspawn
1x Mogu'shan Warden
2x Holy Nova*
1x Faceless Manipulator
2x Fen Creeper
2x Gurubashi Berserker
2x Boulderfist Ogre
2x Temple Enforcer
1x Mind Control*

*(These cards do not show up when you need them. Ever.)
Edited by Flame on 4/16/2014 10:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
2nd Yeti >>> warden

you are verry high on taunts. sunfury and argus should be enough. Preferably you'd want a 2nd watcher and sunfury instead of the 2 fen creeper

I wouldn't play 2 Boulderfist AND 2 templeenforcer, get rid of which one you like less.

Lightwarden is pretty bad, but if you really and i mean REALLY want to play with it I suggest you get Circle of healing. It combos verry well with it, Northshire and Injured.

I also recomend Wild pyromancer to any priest out there.
It's verry strong in priest decks since they can buff if with pw:s, heal it and trigger it easily with their cheap spells, Priests usally have a hard time finishing 1 hp minions and damaging your own minions with it gives you more stuff to heal which leads to more carddraw and bigger lightwarden.
It also synergises verry well with Gurubashi.
Reply Quote
03/12/2014 03:33 AMPosted by Philipz
2nd Yeti >>> warden

you are verry high on taunts. sunfury and argus should be enough. Preferably you'd want a 2nd watcher and sunfury instead of the 2 fen creeper

I assume you're talking about Mogu'shan Warden. I'll make some changes and see how it works out. Even with it being the goal of my deck, I was surprised to see how much trouble people had dealing with a warden they didn't want to use removal on because of it's low attack. It was a nice 4-drop to put in front of a lightwarden and/or cleric. It did feel wrong to leave out Yeti #2 though.

I wouldn't play 2 Boulderfist AND 2 templeenforcer, get rid of which one you like less.

Lightwarden is pretty bad, but if you really and i mean REALLY want to play with it I suggest you get Circle of healing. It combos verry well with it, Northshire and Injured.

I might get rid of Boulderfist. All I really did when putting this deck together was take all the highest health for each mana level, then make a couple obvious substitutions. I do like using Lightwarden - if nothing else, players saw this card starting to grow, and spent a removal on it. It falls easily to Frostbolt, Hammer, Smite, etc, so I was generally trying to combo it with PW:S or Temple Enforcer.

I also recomend Wild pyromancer to any priest out there.
It's verry strong in priest decks since they can buff if with pw:s, heal it and trigger it easily with their cheap spells, Priests usally have a hard time finishing 1 hp minions and damaging your own minions with it gives you more stuff to heal which leads to more carddraw and bigger lightwarden.
It also synergises verry well with Gurubashi.

I hadn't thought about Pyromancer, probably because I don't own him right now. The synergies you mention are interesting; I'll have to craft him when I can and try this out.

Thanks for the help friend! You make some excellent points.
Reply Quote
The deck is similar to what I'm running. I have a pretty easy time with most match ups unless I get a very bad early draw. As the poster above said, circle of healing is pretty nice, especially with an injured blademaster where you can have a 4-7 threat on the board at turn 3.

Additionally, circle of healing works very well with auchenai soulpriest, it turns it into a 4 dmg board wipe which is very nice if you are behind. Opponents usually try to get your soulpriest down so you get to use your hero power for healing usually within 2-3 rounds of playing him.

A good answer to your draw problems is thought steal. Yes it runs the risk of getting cards that don't synergize well with your own but so far I have never had a problem. Often times decks aren't built very well to counter their own mirrors. Especially if you are playing against a paladin... getting some divine shields and extra heals/buffs from thought steal is great.

I agree with the above poster about pyromancer too, alternatively if you don't want to spend too much dust you can also always add some smites.
Reply Quote
Mogu'shan isn't very good without Inner Fire or Mad alchemist or some way to buff it to higher damage. You're better off with another yeti or even a Sen'jin if you really want another taunter.
Lightspawn, is just too fragile. It only works in a deck where you can buff it somehow, your deck doesn't have any buffs, Lightspawn is just not gonna pay off, better but a solid 4/4 minion of some sort instead for a 4 drop.

I disagree, Lightwarden is simply amazing for a 1 drop. Drop it early game and it acts as a soft taunt which they can not afford to ignore, or they have to waste their silences on it. Drop it late game and it instantly will be a 5/2 without a problem. Lightwarden is so good you should have it in every (heal based) deck, I can't count the nr of times it made me win games anymore.
Reply Quote
Mogu'shan isn't very good without Inner Fire or Mad alchemist or some way to buff it to higher damage. You're better off with another yeti or even a Sen'jin if you really want another taunter.
Lightspawn, is just too fragile. It only works in a deck where you can buff it somehow, your deck doesn't have any buffs, Lightspawn is just not gonna pay off, better but a solid 4/4 minion of some sort instead for a 4 drop.

I disagree, Lightwarden is simply amazing for a 1 drop. Drop it early game and it acts as a soft taunt which they can not afford to ignore, or they have to waste their silences on it. Drop it late game and it instantly will be a 5/2 without a problem. Lightwarden is so good you should have it in every (heal based) deck, I can't count the nr of times it made me win games anymore.

Mogu'shan is really just a stall for me. Similar to how I think tanks should work in wow - he's meant to take damage, not give it out. I like him in front of my Clerics and/or Lightwardens.

I think we're on the same page with the Lightspawn. He has yet to be impressive in any games I've played. I am really liking the Lightwarden. I've had her up into double digit attack several times now, and if I can PW:S her of buff her with Temple Enforcer, she's a real problem. For 1 mana.

I will probably be switching out Lightspawn, maybe adding the health doubler cards. For a deck that's supposed to be about high health minions getting healed, I'm not sure why I didn't include them.
Edited by Flame on 3/13/2014 9:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I like Lightwarden. If you can protect her, she can do some crazy things for you.

Don't bother with Divine Spirit. Really. It isn't very good. Cut the Lightspawn as well. It doesn't trade well and dies to silence.

You should run Circle of Healing if you are playing Injured Blademaster. Turn 3 Blademaster + Circle of Healing is hard for many decks to recover from. Plus, Circle of Healing works really well with Northshire Cleric and Lightwarden.

You might also want to consider a Holy Fire or two. It is good for both killing off opposing Chillwind Yetis and Fire Elementals and giving you a bit of a heal as well.

If you are going to be running a lot of low attack / high health minions, then an Inner Fire might serve you well, but it is otherwise a pretty situational card.

Wild Pyromancer is excellent vs rush decks, weenie decks, and decks that like Divine Shield (as others have mentioned).

Shadow Madness is another great card. Sometimes it will be a dead card, but the rest of the time it will usually get you 2 or 3 for one.

Harvest Golem is good vs rush, since it can trade twice (or more if you can heal it in between). Loot Hoarder is good as well. It only trades once (unless you PW: Shield it) but the card draw is nice.

Finally, you have no silence effects. I'd recommend at least one and preferably two. Spellbreakers are good for that. Plus you can silence your Ancient Watcher and attack with it.

TLDR:
In summary, I'd start by cutting the Lightspawn, both ogres, and the Mogu'shan Warden for 2 Circle of Healing and 2 Spellbreaker and see how that works for you.
Reply Quote
03/13/2014 10:24 AMPosted by Calcularius

TLDR:
In summary, I'd start by cutting the Lightspawn, both ogres, and the Mogu'shan Warden for 2 Circle of Healing and 2 Spellbreaker and see how that works for you.

Some good points.

Current deck:

2x Circle of Healing
2x Lightwarden
2x Northshire Cleric
2x SW:Pain
1x Ancient Watcher
1x Sunfury Protector
2x Injured Blademaster
1x Chillwind Yeti
2x Defender of Argus
2x Spellbreaker
2x Holy Nova
1x Faceless Manipulator
2x Fen Creeper
2x Gurubashi Berserker
2x Temple Enforcer
1x Mind Control

I'll keep track and see how this one works.

EDIT: 2-1 right now. Completely owned a Paladin and Shaman 30-0, lost to a rogue because F rogues.
Edited by Flame on 3/13/2014 2:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
EDIT: 2-1 right now. Completely owned a Paladin and Shaman 30-0, lost to a rogue because F rogues.

Nice! Keep us posted on how it goes.
Reply Quote
Currently 8-4

The number is how much health I had when I won, or they had when they won:

W - Paladin 30
W - Shaman 30
L - Rogue 28 (my only landslide loss)
W - Warrior (forgot to check health)
W - Hunter 23
W - Hunter 28
L - Priest 9
L - Paladin 6
L - Warlock 7 (he played four giants, buffed and with taunt, still almost won)
W - Hunter 28
W - Druid 29
W - Priest 28

Will post more later. Could still use advice.
Reply Quote
Excellent! A few questions because I'm curious: When you lose, what do you lose to? Any cards that you like / don't like? Anything you are happy to see when you draw it (or disappointed)? How often do you get cards that are dead draws and what cards are they?
Reply Quote
Well, my big loss was to that rogue, and I couldn't get any minions to stick. He just had an answer for everything with his silly combo damage. Most of my frustration has come from having too many spells too early. I've had early turns with a hand similar to:

Mind Control
Circle of Healing
Power Word: Shield
Shadow Word: Death

What am I supposed to do with that?! Just bad draw though. I don't think I have too many spells, do I?

I'm thinking about switching Power Word: Shield for Divine Spirit. Would that be worth losing the card draw?

I'll keep better track of what exactly beats me and let you know.

EDIT: I could put some games on my Twitch if anyone is interested. I'm new to Twitch, and I'll have to figure out how to do that though. I'm sure I could use some playing advice as well. Many times I'm not sure the best play to make.
Edited by Flame on 3/14/2014 12:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Power Word: Shield is much better than Divine Spirit, in my opinion. Where do I find your twitch stream?

03/14/2014 12:29 PMPosted by Flame
Mind Control
Circle of Healing
Power Word: Shield
Shadow Word: Death

I'm assuming this is after mulligan. Mind Control in your opening hand definitely sucks. If the lack of early creatures keeps being an issue, you could try swapping your Fen Creepers or Gurubashi Berserkers for Harvest Golem, Wild Pyromancer, Acolyte of Pain, Amani Berserker, or some other early drop. Acolyte of Pain can't kill much, but you usually get a card or two out of him at least. If you can boost his health (say with your PW: Shield or Temple Enforcer), he can last (and draw cards) for a long long time.
Reply Quote
I'm making a new channel for Hearthstone games. My current channel is part of a group of channels for the Minecraft server I belong to. I'll put up some games in the next few days and post the info. If you go now, there's nothing there.
Reply Quote
I'm owning with this deck tonight. Will post games soon.

Sorry I haven't updated, haven't played this weekend. Also, I can't get videos to stream well.

EDIT:
Ok, 9-2 with this deck tonight. Went 9-1, last game was a loss.

W - Druid 28: He couldn't get through my high health minions. I would be able to trade them for several of his minions because of my healing.

W - Mage 30: Same as above ^

W - Mage 30: I got early double card draw with two Clerics out - I ended up killing them voluntarily because I was maintaining 7-9 cards and starting to draw too many. A large tank allowed me to get a Lightwarden up to 13/2. He didn't draw a Polymorph and he wasted his Frostbolt on something stupid.

W - Priest 15: This guy was playing something similar to this deck. It might have been exact. If not, it was only one or two minions off. I just traded minions better than he did, and ended up with two Temple Enforcers with buffed health vs. nothing on his side.

L - Hunter 20: He just rushed me and I couldn't get a Nova. I couldn't keep anything on the board long enough to buff/heal it.

W - Shaman 17: He played Ragnaros, Ysera, and Hogger. I killed, silenced, and killed them, respectively. By time he could bring out his legendaries, I had established board control and handled them all easily. None of them lasted more than one turn (I left Ysera on the board, but she was silenced after one turn).

[Started keeping track of turns here]

W - Mage 27: Turns: 1. Lightwarden, 2. nothing (had all 4 mana cards), 3. Coin-Yeti, 4. Defender of Argus (Yeti). Eventually the Yeti and Temple Enforcer made several kills each with the help of my heals, and I won.

W - Mage 30: 1. Cleric, 2.PW;S, 3. Blademaster + Circle of Healing, 4. Argus (Blademaster), 5. G. Berserker. I silenced his doomsayer, survived a Flamestrike, and proceeded to win.

W - Mage 30: Started with a 3, 4, and 5 cost card. Played literally nothing turns 1-3 (Blademaster would have been wasted on turn three due to his 2/1 Loot Hoarder + hero ability). Turn 4 drew a Circle, used with Blademaster, 5. G. Berserker, 6. Argus on Blademaster and Berserker. Ended up with two Berserker tanks at one point: 9/10 and 9/8. He conceded.

W - Paladin 28: 1. Cleric, 2. Coin+Blademaster, 3. Cleric+heal (drew two cards), 4. Blademaster+Lightwarden, 5. SW:P+Heal. He eventually played a Sunwalker and buffed it to 8/9 with kings. Still owned it.

L - Warrior 21: 1. Cleric+Coin+PW:S, 2. Ancient Watcher, 3. Heal, 4. SW:P+Heal, 5. Spellbreaker (Watcher), 6. Temple Enforcer. Lost to a wicked combination of Gorehowl and Grommash.
Edited by Flame on 3/17/2014 12:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
W - Mage 30: I got early double card draw with two Clerics out - I ended up killing them voluntarily because I was maintaining 7-9 cards and starting to draw too many. A large tank allowed me to get a Lightwarden up to 13/2. He didn't draw a Polymorph and he wasted his Frostbolt on something stupid.

It's always nice when Lightwarden pays off like that. Double clerics is usually overkill, as you found out. You can't cast the cards fast enough. Nice games there! It sounds like the deck is working out pretty well for you. I'm assuming your deck list is the same as the last one you posted? Are you still running into any issues with a minion light/free hand after mulligan?

I'd be happy to play some games with you if you are interested.
Reply Quote
I'm not having too much of an issue getting minions. Maybe one or two unlucky games out of all I've played. I haven't changed the deck list since I last posted it. I knew ahead of time that double Cleric would be overkill, but I had gone first and had like 2 cards in my hand. Figured I'd double draw for a while, then kill them off and it worked pretty well.

I've been having trouble with warriors and rogues mainly, due to weapons and direct damage cards. I seriously hate rogues and their ridiculous combos. I'm not really sure how to counter that either.

EDIT: I'm not sure how to choose who you play against. Just add on friends list? I'm done for now until tonight, but I'll check back in later.
Edited by Flame on 3/17/2014 12:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Add me, and I'll play against you. I think I added you. I'll try again later.
Reply Quote
Sent request!
Reply Quote
03/13/2014 11:51 AMPosted by Flame
2x Circle of Healing
2x Lightwarden
2x Northshire Cleric
2x SW:Pain
1x Ancient Watcher
1x Sunfury Protector
2x Injured Blademaster
1x Chillwind Yeti
2x Defender of Argus
2x Spellbreaker
2x Holy Nova
1x Faceless Manipulator
2x Fen Creeper
2x Gurubashi Berserker
2x Temple Enforcer
1x Mind Control

I just wanted to mention... this deck is BRILLIANT. I've been using it and it took me from level 16 to almost 13 (when I stopped playing) in a breeze. But, what's more important, I was having lots of fun playing with it - it generates great combos.

I think I made a few minor edits to it, like adding my Black Knight (I just love that card) instead of one of the high cost minions - I'll check and edit this later, in case anyone is interested.

But, anyway, great job!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]