New Player Guides

(Sticky)

Community Manager
Hello, and welcome to the Hearthstone New Players Tavern! This was created to be a safe place for those of you just starting out and wondering what a Battlecry is, or how exactly Stealth works. Here we will gather guides designed to help newer players, and we are always looking for more!

Below are a couple of guides to get you started, but if you know of any others, or if you are planning on writing one yourself, let us know!

Developer Blogs
Tips for Hearthstone by Mike Donais - This blog covers some basic concepts in deck building and gameplay.

Official Guides - These official guides will get you started with the basics.
How to Play
Basics and Play Tips
Facebook Getting Started Guide

Video Guides
Trump Teachings - Introduction
Trump Teachings - Board Control with Mage Basic Deck Guide
Trump Teachings - Mana Efficiency with Druid Basic Deck Guide
Trump Teachings - Fearless Tapping with Warlock Basic Deck Guide
Trump Teachings - Fearless Hitting with Rogue Basic Deck Guide
Trump Teachings - Favorable Trading with Shaman Basic Deck Guide
Trump Teachings - Card Advantage with Priest Basic Deck Guide
Trump Teachings - When to Face with Hunter Basic Deck Guide
Trump Teachings - Weapons Hold with Warrior Basic Deck Guide
Trump Teachings - The Long Game with Paladin Basic Deck Guide

New Player Guide - by Kripparrian

New Players – These guides start from the basics, including commonly used game terms, what cards to choose, and why to choose them.
Tips for Those Just Starting Out by Daerbon
Hearthstone 101: Beginner Handbook by TheWaterBoiler and Rafajafar
Hearthstone Overview: Heroes, Common Effects and Exclusive Cards by Vincent
The Beginner’s Guide to Hearthstone by Khalanil
Unofficial Hearthstone Glossary by Raz
A Beginner’s Guide to HS Terms by Hayl_Storm
A Beginner’s Guide to Hearthstone Mechanics by MoonBear
Hearthstone for Beginners (Guide and Resource) by cgmcnama
An Updated Guide to Deck Types by Hearthstoneplayers.com
Con's Free to Play Survival Guide 2.0 by Con

Constructed Deck Building – These guides are for players who know the basics, and want to try something new.
Aidan's Free To Play Budget Decklists by Aidan
Hearthstone: How To Build A Deck by Vlad
Starting Stone #1: Six Steps to an Ultimate Deck by curi
Starting Stone #2: The Best Free Neutral Cards by curi
Deck Builder by Hearthhead

Crafting – These guides are for when there is a specific card you want, and how to determine which cards to disenchant.
Beginner's Guide to Crafting Legendaries by Hearthstoneplayers
Hearthstone Crafting Guide by Messiah

Advanced Concepts
Netdecking 101 by Puffin
Card Advantage by Ben Chapman
A Guide to Odd Hearthstone Mechanics by Jagos
How to Avoid Overextending
How to Hit Legend in Hearthstone by Zhandaly

Have a guide of your own to share with the community? Send it to Daxxarri@blizzard.com.
Edited by Zeriyah on 1/4/2016 3:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hello, I was wondering if an option to reset for those of us in the open beta would be added. I would like the option to remove all cards I earned, restart training, quests, and anything else as if I was just beginning to play. I know for those who bought cards during beta they would want to stay where they were, but I had assumed beta would be wiped clean upon release, there are some things I would do different. Was just curious if any plans for anything like that were coming.
Reply Quote
been playing it and its fun how ever is hearthstone going to be on the android tablet??????
Reply Quote
03/11/2014 11:36 PMPosted by rolandd
Hello, I was wondering if an option to reset for those of us in the open beta would be added. I would like the option to remove all cards I earned, restart training, quests, and anything else as if I was just beginning to play. I know for those who bought cards during beta they would want to stay where they were, but I had assumed beta would be wiped clean upon release, there are some things I would do different. Was just curious if any plans for anything like that were coming.

The easiest way to "start fresh" is to create a completely new Battle.net account. This will allow you to start Hearthstone with a clean slate.
Reply Quote
I am unable to trade cards with my friends, I also don't get any quest rewards when playing with friends?
Reply Quote
03/12/2014 08:23 AMPosted by zillabunny
I am unable to trade cards with my friends, I also don't get any quest rewards when playing with friends?

the lack of quest rewards is a feature to prevent people from having their friends lose on purpose to make quests super easy. (or, easier than they already are)

Card trading has not been implemented, and i don't recall seeing any plans to add it in by blizzard... but it would be pretty cool. do want.
Reply Quote
03/12/2014 01:27 AMPosted by Algahard
been playing it and its fun how ever is hearthstone going to be on the android tablet??????

They've already announced that it's coming to Android and iOS phones and tablets back at BlizzCon. The iPad version will be first, with the others coming later (no dates yet, however).
Reply Quote
True, but easy isn't exactly the word I would use. Every other blizz game is tied to it, would have to redo everything, a pain I was trying to avoid.
Reply Quote
Beginning here , i'll se you in a couple of hours, let you know
Reply Quote
hmmm, if blizzard was smart they would have quests that you can ONLY do with your friends, that way it would give you incentive to badger your friends to play the game... right now there is no reason for me to play against friends if I have quests in my queue :(
Reply Quote
I have to agree about unfair advantages_i just started playing and won my first couple prctice games against a couple gnomes and a dwarf_now they match my mage jana against Illidan stormrage (note:says unfair game advantage to illidan)how do they expect to u to continue playing if you cant move on_already lost 8-10 matches against illidan_seriously considering uninstalling hearthstone
Reply Quote
I feel like unless I invest real money...I wont get very far :(
Reply Quote
Not sure if anyone has encountered this or not but while I am looking through the guides I encountered one of the guide links sending me to a 404 page error. I checked a few times and I am not sure if it is on my end but could be worth looking into.

The guide named:
The Beginner’s Guide to Hearthstone by Khalanil
Reply Quote
I agree completely!
Reply Quote
Hello!
I start the game and I like it. But I didnt receive the mount.. so, i was wandering if I'm the only one or I've done something wrong..
Reply Quote
Hi! I also start the game and I do not receive the mount! What I can do?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]