Having Problems Against Paladins

So I seem to have a hell of a time against paladins. I play a control deck and just can't seem to keep board control at all against paladins. Here is my deck:

2x Arcane Shot
Flare
2x Tracking
2x Explosive Trap
2x Freezing Trap
Misdirection
2x Snipe
Ironbeak Owl
2x Novice Engineer
Wild Pyromancer
2x Eaglehorn Longbow
2x Animal Companion
2x Kill Command
2x Arcane Golem
Abomination
Gadgetzan Auctioneer
2x Argent Commander

Is there anything with the deck I need to change? It seems solid against pretty much all of the other classes. Please let me know
Edited by probowler on 3/15/2014 3:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Almost a day and not a single response other than my own.
Reply Quote
I see your problem. Throw in 2 buzzards and 2 UTH.
Reply Quote
03/16/2014 01:51 PMPosted by Smerny
I see your problem. Throw in 2 buzzards and 2 UTH.

Why is this? What cards would I remove?

PS: As the OP state this is suppose to be a control deck and not a rush deck.
Edited by Speedwell on 3/16/2014 2:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I am looking at Yong Woo's deck as a guide BTW.
Edited by Speedwell on 3/16/2014 3:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
2 buzzard + 2x UtH isn't only viable for aggro. It gives amazing board control for essentially no cost, because you redraw usually equal or more cards than what you used to drop a buzzard + hounds.
Reply Quote
I agree with Calculus and Smerny.

The only class I had a hard time countering with my hunter was the Paladin- throw in some UtH and slaughter the board and him when his control overwhelms you. If your packing tracking it should be easy to grab a couple early on to be prepared.
Reply Quote
get rid of snipe, aucteneer, novice engineer

unless you want to run a pure aggro deck get rid both the arcane golems

wild pyro is also meh in hunter
Reply Quote
03/16/2014 09:46 PMPosted by BigTallGuy
get rid of snipe, aucteneer, novice engineer

unless you want to run a pure aggro deck get rid both the arcane golems

wild pyro is also meh in hunter

Well, the snipe I kind of use to help with mid game control. . It usually also helps a lot with buffing my secret keeper(s). What should I use instead for mid-game board control?

Is the 4/4 and a card draw for 5 worth it?
Is there a better card I should be using?

The novice engineers I've already replaced with loot hoarders. The same effect but better body for the same mana cost.

Arcane golems I have been iffy about since they give the enemy 1 extra crystal, but their is nice. Any suggestions for replacing them? Something preferably with more than 1 body.

Pyro is early board clear since traps count as spells. They trigger the 1 damage AoE. Is there a better option for early board clearing?

What would I replace all these cards with. That's what, 6 cards that would be out. UTH and Buzzard cover 4. What should I put in place of the other 2?

Just a few questions I had before I make the change.

Thanks,
Speedwell
Edited by Speedwell on 3/16/2014 11:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/16/2014 06:45 PMPosted by Calculus
2 buzzard + 2x UtH isn't only viable for aggro. It gives amazing board control for essentially no cost, because you redraw usually equal or more cards than what you used to drop a buzzard + hounds.

Is this late game control? Mid-game control? Also, which cards would I replace.

Thanks,
Speedwell
Reply Quote
03/16/2014 06:45 PMPosted by Calculus

Without wolf will it make a dent though since I don't have much in the way of buffs for my beast minions?

Thanks,
Speedwell
Edited by Speedwell on 3/17/2014 2:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Any responses to my questions?
Reply Quote
It's sad that legitimate discussions and questions get pushed down by noobs that want to complain about UTH because they refuse to adapt. =(
Edited by Speedwell on 3/18/2014 11:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey Speedwell,

It's not clear to me what the goal of your deck is. You say it's control and you do have a good amount of removal (all the traps, spells, Eaglehorn, Abom, Wild Pyro) but typically in control you are pushing toward some sort of late game. A lot of control decks have high cost, game finishing legendaries that they are trying to get to. Is your plan to basically whittle your opponent down with your hero ability and weapon and then finish with a charge minion? If that's the plan then I could certainly see a heal-heavy paladin giving you a hard time, especially if they have bigger late game threats than you.

What type of Paladin deck specifically is giving you trouble? An aggro/tempo Paladin or late game/control Paladin? Honestly, a Paladin that has a lot of healing might just plainly counter your play-style choice and there might not be much you can do about it other than going for a different play style altogether. There are certain decks or strategies that plainly destroy other certain decks. It would be like, in rock-paper-scissor, scissors asking "how do I counter rock??".
Reply Quote
03/15/2014 02:56 PMPosted by Speedwell
So I seem to have a hell of a time against paladins. I play a control deck and just can't seem to keep board control at all against paladins. Here is my deck:

2x Arcane Shot
Flare
2x Tracking
2x Explosive Trap
2x Freezing Trap
Misdirection
2x Snipe
Ironbeak Owl
2x Novice Engineer
Wild Pyromancer
2x Eaglehorn Longbow
2x Animal Companion
2x Kill Command
2x Arcane Golem
Abomination
Gadgetzan Auctioneer
2x Argent Commander

Is there anything with the deck I need to change? It seems solid against pretty much all of the other classes. Please let me know

K basic stuff, you wanna go midgame yet you have no midgame creatures. Arcane golem is bad, abomination isnt great, Wild pyro rlly doesnt work with hunter, Snipe is absolutly horrible.

You really need at least:

Unleash the hounds
buzzard
Houndmaster
AT LEAST one good midcost creature( stranglethorn tiger/highmane
Reply Quote
03/18/2014 11:44 AMPosted by crdvis16
Hey Speedwell,

It's not clear to me what the goal of your deck is. You say it's control and you do have a good amount of removal (all the traps, spells, Eaglehorn, Abom, Wild Pyro) but typically in control you are pushing toward some sort of late game. A lot of control decks have high cost, game finishing legendaries that they are trying to get to. Is your plan to basically whittle your opponent down with your hero ability and weapon and then finish with a charge minion? If that's the plan then I could certainly see a heal-heavy paladin giving you a hard time, especially if they have bigger late game threats than you.

What type of Paladin deck specifically is giving you trouble? An aggro/tempo Paladin or late game/control Paladin? Honestly, a Paladin that has a lot of healing might just plainly counter your play-style choice and there might not be much you can do about it other than going for a different play style altogether. There are certain decks or strategies that plainly destroy other certain decks. It would be like, in rock-paper-scissor, scissors asking "how do I counter rock??".

Thank you for the timely reply.

It is mainly healing heavy paladins that give me fits. Especially when they have a lot of minions with divine shied. This is suppose to be a take off of the deck I linked since I don't have Lady Sylvanas Windrunner or the Black Knight. So the mid to late game is the goal. I have also have been more problems with druids with lots of taunts lately. Especially the 8/8 taunt. I just don't feel like I have the power to take down cards like that. Anyways, let me know.

Thanks,
Speedwell
Edited by Speedwell on 3/18/2014 12:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Deadly shot v big taunts, UTH v small shields.
Reply Quote
Your chosen strategy is simply countered by any heavy healing class. Your damage is gradual rather than spikey so it gives the Paladin plenty of time to heal, extend the game, and then likely play bigger late-game threats than you. It's also probably pretty easy for control decks to keep your board clear- your minions are mostly one and done types. A minion like arcane golem will likely just do his 4 damage and then get cleared because his 2 hp is nothing. He's not a sustained threat, he's a finisher and against a healing/late game deck you likely will never get them into kill range with slow damage.

The choice you have to make is to either greatly change your deck composition to improve it against those types of decks or just accept that certain other decks will hard counter you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]