Having Problems Against Paladins

03/18/2014 12:33 PMPosted by crdvis16
Your chosen strategy is simply countered by any heavy healing class. Your damage is gradual rather than spikey so it gives the Paladin plenty of time to heal, extend the game, and then likely play bigger late-game threats than you. It's also probably pretty easy for control decks to keep your board clear- your minions are mostly one and done types. A minion like arcane golem will likely just do his 4 damage and then get cleared because his 2 hp is nothing. He's not a sustained threat, he's a finisher and against a healing/late game deck you likely will never get them into kill range with slow damage.

The choice you have to make is to either greatly change your deck composition to improve it against those types of decks or just accept that certain other decks will hard counter you.

Once I get Sylvanas Windrunner and The Black knight do you see it making much of a difference against those types of decks? Most likely the arcane golems will be removed and replaced with these cards. Are those going to be more of the long term threats that you are talking about?
Reply Quote
03/18/2014 12:30 PMPosted by Vittoleon
Deadly shot v big taunts, UTH v small shields.

What about the lack of traps in the deck with deadly shot gone? Wouldn't that make my secret keeper nearly worthless in the end because of it no longer providing a long term early game threat?

Also, for mid-game threats as you've stated before I was looking at a spiteful smith. What do you think. Decent damage and body, plus it's death rattle works really well with the eaglehorn bow. I was looking at a few other cards as well. A couple I am not sure about and would need an opinion on. Sunwalker looks decent. The others were venture co mercenary and wreckless rocketeer. I'm iffy on those two. Lastly is savannah highmane like you suggested.
Edited by Speedwell on 3/18/2014 1:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
First the deck you linked doesnt have secretkeeper nor should it. Second of all, stranglethorn tiger and savannah highmane are the cards you wanna look for. Point for point highmane even outperforms cairne bloodhoof which is seen as one of the best cards in the game

(highmane only if you would run houndmaster, else Stampeding kodo is pretty good, smith is fine,
Edited by Vittoleon on 3/18/2014 2:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/18/2014 02:20 PMPosted by Vittoleon
First the deck you linked doesnt have secretkeeper nor should it. Second of all, stranglethorn tiger and savannah highmane are the cards you wanna look for. Point for point highmane even outperforms cairne bloodhoof which is seen as one of the best cards in the game

I noticed it didn't after I typed that latest post. Why though is secret keeper not good? It gets +1/+1 every time you play a trap. Wouldn't that be good for a turn 1 play followed by a trap? Probably an explosive trap to ensure early board control? That buffs the secret keeper to 2/3 and clears the enemy's side of the board making it a bit harder to remove forcing them to use a spell to clear it or throw out a low mana cost taunt which can be removed by any of my removal tools. I don't know, maybe I'm thinking wrong here? Maybe I'm missing something?
Edited by Speedwell on 3/21/2014 11:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Stop playing Hunter and play a real class
Reply Quote
03/18/2014 02:32 PMPosted by Speedwell

I noticed it didn't after I typed that latest post. Why though is secret keeper not good? It gets +1/+1 every time you play a trap, flare, tracking, arcane shot or kill command Wouldn't that be good for a turn 1 play followed by a trap? Probably an explosive trap to ensure early board control? That buffs the secret keeper to 2/3 and clears the enemy's side of the board making it a bit harder to remove forcing them to use a spell to clear it or throw out a low mana cost taunt which can be removed by any of my removal tools. I don't know, maybe I'm thinking wrong here? Maybe I'm missing something?

A situational 1/2 that might get stronger just isnt ever gonna do it. It can be viable to put in if you like but you shouldnt add secrets just because of that since the card will be just another one drop if you dont actually get it in starting hand anyway.

03/18/2014 04:31 PMPosted by DragoonC
Stop playing Hunter and play a real class

K zoowarlock player.
Reply Quote
A situational 1/2 that might get stronger just isn't ever going to do it. It can be viable to put in if you like but you shouldn't add secrets just because of that since the card will be just another one drop if you don't actually get it in starting hand anyway.

Well, normally there isn't much that can be done to clear the one drop on 1 mana which is why on turn 2 a trap does two things; First it allows you to buff your Secret Keeper and ensure that something like a Bluegill Murloc won't kill it as soon as you get it out. Secondly, if you draw Freezing Trap, you can completely avoid you minion getting damaged and maintain complete and utter board control. They will then have to summon a 3 drop (if they have one to maintain board presence. At that point you can use something like Kill Command/Arcane Shot/etc (depending on the health of the mob and the cards you pull) attack the enemy hero. If you don't have a card for board clearance but have a trap, then you can further buff your secret keeper and kill off the minion while keeping yours alive since there aren't any 3 drops with 5 health. If the enemy minion's attack is low enough, your secret keeper may even survive giving you amazing control of the board. I mean, that's my line of thinking though. It seems like it'd be worth it to me, especially with that being 3 turns of board control. I don't know...
Reply Quote
03/18/2014 05:53 PMPosted by Speedwell
A situational 1/2 that might get stronger just isn't ever going to do it. It can be viable to put in if you like but you shouldn't add secrets just because of that since the card will be just another one drop if you don't actually get it in starting hand anyway.

Well, normally there isn't much that can be done to clear the one drop on 1 mana which is why on turn 2 a trap does two things; First it allows you to buff your Secret Keeper and ensure that something like a Bluegill Murloc won't kill it as soon as you get it out. Secondly, if you draw Freezing Trap, you can completely avoid you minion getting damaged and maintain complete and utter board control. They will then have to summon a 3 drop (if they have one to maintain board presence. At that point you can use something like Kill Command/Arcane Shot/etc (depending on the health of the mob and the cards you pull) attack the enemy hero. If you don't have a card for board clearance but have a trap, then you can further buff your secret keeper and kill off the minion while keeping yours alive since there aren't any 3 drops with 5 health. If the enemy minion's attack is low enough, your secret keeper may even survive giving you amazing control of the board. I mean, that's my line of thinking though. It seems like it'd be worth it to me, especially with that being 3 turns of board control. I don't know...

Good in theory, what actually happens is you summon it, he sees it as a threat and acts accordingly by coining out his charge murlock and killing it (explosive trap doesnt protect since it procs of face dmg not minion targetting). Every class will have something to finish it

Mage: frostbolt
priest: sw pain (although they dont run it that often anymore)
warlock will just outtrade it as zoo and not care about it that much as handlock
rogue will backstab it in a second
druid will wrath it
shaman can earthshock or lightning bolt
warrior slams etc etc.
Combo cards are priority to remove and that is what most decent players will do. So never go too far in making strategies around 1 card since they rarely survive first contact with a decent opponent. (however you can definatly play it if you want, its an above average 1 drop that in worst case will be a 1/2 and might draw some cc. )
Reply Quote
03/18/2014 11:37 PMPosted by Homicidal
How to play Hunter :
Play Buzzard
Play UTH
Win game

shoo troll shoo, people are actually trying to become better at this game here instead of staying at rank 20 and blaming 2 cards for everything.
Reply Quote
03/19/2014 03:38 AMPosted by Vittoleon
How to play Hunter :
Play Buzzard
Play UTH
Win game

shoo troll shoo, people are actually trying to become better at this game here instead of staying at rank 20 and blaming 2 cards for everything.

There should be an age requirement for posting on the forums, or at least an IQ requirement. He is a perfect example of why.
Reply Quote

Okay, I'm sure you feel great at rank 10 with your Hunter where all you do is play Leper Gnome, play Wolfrider and win the game. I'm a Shaman, which actually requires some thought process rather than you where all you do is click hero power and your dogs a few times and win.

There should be an age requirement for posting on the forums, or at least an IQ requirement. He is a perfect example of why.

And an IQ requirement is a fine example, maybe you should leave since you play Hunter? The most brainless aggro of all of them

The irony is hilarious
Edited by Speedwell on 3/20/2014 12:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote

The irony is hilarious

I know right? The fact that a poster with the maturity of a 2 year old and would rather QQ about a class than learn to get better is saying I have no IQ. When we all know that QQ requires the least skill out of all forms of posting, Everyone who has half a brain and can play against class and want to learn to become better rather than QQ would agree with me.

Fixed
Edited by Speedwell on 3/20/2014 1:10 AM PDT
Reply Quote
So now I'm running:

2x Arcane Shot
1x Flare
2x Tracking
2x Explosive Trap
2x Freezing Trap
1x Misdirection
2x Unleash The Hounds
1x Iron Beak Owl
2x Loot Hoarder
2x Starving buzzard
2x Eaglehorn Bow
2x Animal Companion
2x Kill Command
2x Hound Master
1x Stranglethorn Tiger
2x Argent Commander
2x Savannah Highmane

Seems like I have less early board control and cant get early pressure, but the ramped up damage is nice. What do you think though?
Edited by Speedwell on 3/22/2014 1:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Just play the same deck 99% other Hunters do. Spam Eagle Bow Weapon, traps, Buzzard, and UTH. There is a reason every single Hunter plays the same deck, its mindless and wins against the best decks.
Reply Quote
2x savannah highmane
Reply Quote
03/22/2014 05:51 PMPosted by Fiddlesnarf
Just play the same deck 99% other Hunters do. Spam Eagle Bow Weapon, traps, Buzzard, and UTH. There is a reason every single Hunter plays the same deck, its mindless and wins against the best decks.

If you're losing to that you really need to re-think your deck/strategy because it doesn't work against players with a brain. First of all the Eaglehorn Bow only gets 2 uses unless you TRIGGER the trap. being smart about how you play your minions is key. This is TCG 101. Second, If you flood the board with minions and don't have any taunts up then yes Unleash the Hounds is powerful and may even clear our board, but it is so easily cleared/countered that it shouldn't even be a huge concern. (there are many posts already on how to counter Unleash the Hound so I am not going to waste my time.) Even with the card draw it's a board clear at best against a good player. If you have problems with board clearance then I suggest taking another look at your deck.
Edited by Speedwell on 3/23/2014 9:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]