Upgrade my Priest deck?

Hello everyone!
I've been playing my Priest deck for some weeks now and I'm really enjoying the class. So far I had some trouble against specific classes, such as Mage or the mirror-match Priest itself, but I'm doing pretty well for what I think it's a cheap deck.
I would like to ask to some more experienced players how can I improve the deck I'm using right now? I tried swapping some cards with some others but it didn't really work so I went back to this very cheap but quite effective setup (3-to-1 or 4-to-1 Win/Loss ratio so far):

2x Inner Fire
2x Power Word: Shield
2x Lightwarden
2x Divine Spirit
2x Shadow Word: Pain
2x Shadow Word: Death
2x Shattered Sun Cleric
2x Lightspawn
2x Mogu'Shan Warden
2x Sen'Jin Shieldmasta
2x Holy Nova
2x Lord of the Arena
2x Sunwalker
2x Temple Enforcer

Is there any way I could improve the deck without spending a lot of essences? I'm looking for minor upgrades that can improve the overall efficiency of the deck. When I get some more essences I will start thinking about a -big- upgrade or something, but for now I'm just asking some experienced Priest players for an advice.
Thanks in advance!
Reply Quote
Simplest upgrade I can suggest is scrapping Mogu'shan Warden for Chillwind Yeti. And maybe get rid of Lord of the Arena in favour of Boulderfist Ogre.

Gradually you should be swapping things out for Sunfury protectors and Defenders of Argus so that your other minions are free to do more interesting things than taunt.
Reply Quote
First of all thank you a lot for you feedback.

Yes, the issue you pointed out is actually the one I was most concerned with. I have indeed a lot of minions with just "Taunt" (6/30). I already have a couple of Defender of Argus, so I guess my first step would be swapping the ones you suggested for them. Chillwind Yetis and Boulderfist Ogres do quite a lot of damage and if I'm lucky I can even make them taunt with the Defenders.

I would also like to make room for something like Holy Fire but I'm not sure.
Reply Quote
One very important thing to keep in mind about Priests is that their main combo "Inner Fire + Divine Spirit" is extremely card inefficient and easy to counter. Likewise, Shadow Word: Pain is also inefficient and situational. These three cards are great for beginner Priests, but you should phase them out as you acquire new cards.

Inner Fire + Divine Spirit should only be used in a deck that is built specifically to take advantage of them. This is very difficult to do at high rankings as you have to offset the card disadvantage of this combo, leaving very little room for mistakes. You'd also need Crazed Alchemists.

Shadow Word: Pain should be used only if you are going for a removal-based "Shadow" Priest, which often relies on Circle of Healing + Auchenai Soulpriest or Injured Blademaster. Even so, it's best to include only 1 due to its situational nature. In most cases, using a 2 or 3 mana Charge minion instead is better.

As you play, try to get your hands on Shadow Madness and Holy Fire. Holy Fire is a great card to include 1x of in any Priest deck. Priests have too many situational removals, and this is a solid one that has no such restrictions. Shadow Madness is a great removal that works like Hunter's Multi-Shot. You can get rid of two minions for one card.
Edited by Joewoof on 3/18/2014 12:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Try adding a single Auchenai Soulpriest in there! It's a very interesting wildcard to have in your deck. Especially since your deck won't depend on it, this single card will net you a lot of value.

Don't play it till 6 mana so that you can drop it and do 2 dmg the same turn. You can easily bait a removal spell from your opponent with it or bait him into sacking minions on it. Learn to play it properly and it can really mess up your opponents ability to predict your plays, or even help you gain some board control by bypassing taunts.
Reply Quote
Thank you both for the replies!

Joewoof: I know the really hated/despised noobcombo Divine Shield -> Inner Fire won't last long against "serious" decks (read: well built decks in the hands of capable players) and that's why I'm looking for something else to start playing with. What you suggest is indeed interesting, even if I'm still not sure about the Circle of Healing/Holy Nova interaction with the Auchenai Soulpriest.

Rocuu: the Soulpriest looks awesome on the paper, and I might try to put a single one in and see how it goes.

I'll try and build a deck which is not so heavily dependant on the DS/IF combo one day, but I still need to get a couple of Shadow Madness, Holy Fire and other cool priest stuff.
Reply Quote
Inner fire and divine spirit..

Yes, they can be countered easily. However, if you can draw out your opponents removals by placing other threats on the field earlier in the game then you are free to boost away.

Don't boost the turn you play them, save a boost play for when your minion is ready to atk so at least you get to deal some dmg with it.

The cards have value on their own as well, doubling a minions health on turn 6 against a mage can allow it to survive a flamestrike. Or just dropping inner fire on a mogushan warden is a solid 7/7 taunt no need to go all the way for a 14/14.

Using inner fire offensively can allow open up new plays for your board control, use it on an opponents minions to drop their attack to nothing or to bring a ysera into shadow word range.
Reply Quote
This is my current Priest deck: http://www.hearthpwn.com/deckbuilder/priest#84:1;157:2;192:2;207:2;232:2;315:2;401:1;409:2;431:2;436:2;450:2;542:2;547:2;554:2;600:2;671:2;

No it doesn't win every game, & when played right, I don't believe you need the big bomb 28/28's or bigger. Your opponent only has 30 life & most critters are crowd control anyway. I've won without the combo, but it sure does come in handy. Just my 2 cents.
Reply Quote
I'm not sure what to tell you on how to improve your current deck because I've had to add, remove, and completely re-make my deck countless times especially once I got to 20 then 25. It all depends on finding own your play style and general and how you like to use the cards the Priest have. It seems I play this hero completely different from how some of these other guys are but ever since I re-built my deck into it's current version I have been doing really well. Despite what some of you are saying Shadow Word Pain/Death are way more worth it than you give it credit for. That's because I try and save Pain for the enemy putting down a Shin'jin Shieldmaster. 2 mana for taking out a 3-5 saves a lot of hassle. Same with Death. Being able to take out the first minions that are 5 attack and higher allows you to keep yours on the board even longer. With my deck I'm able to control the board until round 4, 5, or even 6 without even putting a card on the board. By that time I can put down a taunt then bigger cards and combos without having to worry too much about loosing them before I get to use them. I still have trouble against murlock rushes unless I draw a holy nova but when I come up against other minion and beast rush decks I'm usually able to fight them off or clear the board and then all that's left is a sad opponent with an empty hand and nothing but low cost minions lol

I call him my Unholy Priest:

2-Holy Smite
1-Inner Fire
2-Power Word Shield
2-Divine Spirit
2-Mind Blast
2-Shadow Word Pain
2-Shadow Word Death
2-Silverback Patriarch
2-Chillwind Yeti
2-Lightspawn
2-Mogu'shan Warden
2-Holy Nova
1-Boulderfist Ogre
2-Lord of the Arena
1-Temple Enforcer
2-Core Hound
1-Mind Control
Reply Quote
What to take out:
Inner Fire
Divine Spirit
Lightwarden
Lightspawn
Mogu'Shan
Senjin Shieldmasta
Lord of the Arena
Temple Enforcer

What to put in:
Northshire Cleric
Chillwind Yeti
Defender of Argus
Mind Control
Sunfury Protector
Ancient Watcher
Circle of Healing
Auchenai Soulpriest

If you don't have specific cards, look for high value cards.
Harvest Golem
Azure Drake
Venture Co. Merc
Injured Blademaster
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]