Tired of Token/Control? Try Ramp!

I've been playing Druid for a long time now, but it's getting a tad stale. It's a very samey class, really, and there are only a few viable/solid deck types.

I rarely see mention of Ramping up, I think it fell out of fashion late last year, which is understandable with the rise of rush. You'll rarely see Ramp being played now, but it's actually still quite effective and very fun.

Here's the deck I've been using, give it a whirl, and have a laugh with it!

http://s30.postimg.org/vz8stnwld/Hearthstone_Screenshot_3_15_2014_11_54_43.png

For those scared of links;

2x Innervate
2x Claw
2x Wild Growth
2x Wrath
1x Bloodmage Thalnos
2x Swipe
2x Chillwind Yeti
2x Defender of Argus
2x Keeper of the Grove
1x Nourish
1x Starfall
2x Azure Drake
2x Druid of the Claw
2x Boulderfist Ogre
2x Ancient of Lore
1x Ancient of War
1x Ironbark Protector
1x Ragnaros the Firelord.
Reply Quote
Pretty sure that this deck is a lot of fun to play.
Nevertheless you will almost certainly lose to every hunter / wl zoo deck out there. Sad thing: Thats like 75% of the meta.
So yeah... Propably not the greatest choice right now ;)

Also, the core of "ramping" just requires you to have at least 4-5 of these rediculous legendary finishers like cairne, windrunner, swagnaros, ysera and so on.
Otherwise theres no point on ramping to 10 mana in round 6.
Reply Quote
03/15/2014 12:17 PMPosted by Daymian
Nevertheless you will almost certainly lose to every hunter / wl zoo deck out there.

It fares quite well against both decks, due to early board control with spells and board wipe (which is available earlier thanks to Mana-gain). As soon as you start dropping 6+ minions every turn from turn 4 onwards, they can't do anything.

Also, the core of "ramping" just requires you to have at least 4-5 of these rediculous legendary finishers like cairne, windrunner, swagnaros, ysera and so on.
Otherwise theres no point on ramping to 10 mana in round 6.

No. That is the core of late game control. This deck is not late game control. Ramp is ramping up your Mana and getting those large minions out several turns before you would be able to. There's really not a lot of control here, if you're getting lucky you will have 9 Mana when your opponent has 5. That's the best case scenario, most of the time you can be 2 Mana ahead, and those big legendary minions are not required when your board is basically being replaced by 8 Mana, immune to silence, minions.

I see where you're coming from, but that isn't the aim of the deck (super late control with pricy and risky leggies), it's about sheer domination through Mana advantage and large minions.
Reply Quote
Hi, here is my Ramp deck: http://www.hsdeck.com/deck/druid/6daayg

What do you think about Doomsayer?
Reply Quote
Nevertheless you will almost certainly lose to every hunter / wl zoo deck out there. Sad thing: Thats like 75% of the meta.

Ramp is quite good against hunter beatdown due to the fact you'll very rarely have more than two minions on the board and if you ramp into an early Druid of the claw, you'll be sitting pretty happy. As well as someone has mentioned, having your removal earlier. There's nothing better than a turn two, coin -> innovate -> nourish for mana -> wrath play to really get ahead of tempo

What do you think about Doomsayer?

I've not tried this but I cant see it working very well, hunters will kill you reactively with weapons, hero power and UTH. Warriors with kill you with charge and wepaons and locks will just pull minions out of their behind no matter how many you kill.
Reply Quote
I agree for hunter but i think they are not a problem with a ramp deck.
I dont care about agro warrior they are quite few.

And vs Zoo lock i think doomsayer is good if you play it on turn 2-4. It will slow down the game.
Reply Quote
03/19/2014 03:39 AMPosted by TheDAFool
Ramp is quite good against hunter beatdown due to the fact you'll very rarely have more than two minions on the board and if you ramp into an early Druid of the claw, you'll be sitting pretty happy. As well as someone has mentioned, having your removal earlier. There's nothing better than a turn two, coin -> innovate -> nourish for mana -> wrath play to really get ahead of tempo

Pretty much this.

The best play is turn 3 Innervate, Nourish and Wild Growth. Your next turn you're basically putting down 7+mana cost minions every turn.

The deck has around 9 removal-worthy minions, and most people will burn through their removal so quickly with this deck. It's pretty good against any iteration of Hunter, and most other rush decks. You can quite easily survive 3-4 turns if you don't get your innervates/growths, and at that point you're putting out pretty beefy minions every turn.

Probably going to take this deck into ranked soon, I've just been using it for fun, but I think it'll do pretty well on ladder.
Reply Quote
Hmm interesting, I shall try this, I've rarely seen any ramp druid for the past few days (weeks even). How'd you think about further shifting the mana curve towards larger numbers? say, using 2 Wars? bad idea?
Reply Quote
So yeah... Propably not the greatest choice right now ;)

Trying out the deck with a bit of modifications, around 12 games in casual and ranked so far with 2 losses to a control Shaman and a fat Paladin, and I completely disagree with your statement.

Hunters have never been a huge issue for me when I play my usual control Druid, but this deck just !@#$s all over them. You don't really rely on having many minions on the board so there are no swarm of small minions to UTH on, and when you do your taunts are so big that unless they're playing it on high turns with 2 timber wolves or hyenas, very similar to Giantlocks, and if they failed to clear my board, then it's game over for them.

Although from what I've seen, this doesn't mean the deck is a counter to Hunter rush or anything else, most of the time my opponents just don't expect what's coming to them even when I do cast those Wild Growths.

So yeah, the fun factor is high, but the one thing I do agree is that it's less reliable then the usual control deck.
Reply Quote
Hey, cool deck...
But, is there any replace for Ancients? I don't have them and i am sitting at 0 dust right now...
Reply Quote
You could replace the Ancient of War with a second Ironbark Protector.

Ancient of Lore is much tougher though because it's a good creature AND a two card draw (plus the heal option has won a couple games for me) and that's real tough to replace. For replacing one....I'd say some minion with good board presence. Sunwalker maybe? I'm not really sure, though if you happen to have Cairne he'd be a good fit.

For the other I like the idea of a Gadgetzan Auctioneer. You should be able to get at least one card out of him and quite possibly more. He's a fantastic play with 10 mana and a wild growth you didn't draw early enough. 7 mana for a 4/4, ditching a dead card, and replacing it with three others.
Reply Quote
Been tinkering with this more.

Can't remember what I removed, but I added a Cairne and a Big Game Hunter.

Might post up the differences a little later tonight. This deck won't do you well until you're past the wall of rush, but it's still fun to just have a mess around with.

04/04/2014 06:23 AMPosted by Apetito
Hey, cool deck...
But, is there any replace for Ancients? I don't have them and i am sitting at 0 dust right now...

You had a decent response with

04/04/2014 09:28 AMPosted by TheShovel
Gadgetzan Auctioneer

It's really very hard to replace Lores in any Druid deck, they're just that good.
Reply Quote
For the other I like the idea of a Gadgetzan Auctioneer. You should be able to get at least one card out of him and quite possibly more. He's a fantastic play with 10 mana and a wild growth you didn't draw early enough. 7 mana for a 4/4, ditching a dead card, and replacing it with three others.

@TheShovel

I've thought a lot about the Gadgetzan Auctioneer and how it might fit into a ramp deck. For me it basically comes down to 1x Nourish and 1x Auctioneer or 2x Nourish. Nourish is good for early game ramping, and late game card draw. Basically, always good. Auctioneer imo can only be useful in one situation: you have ramped up to him with a growth or nourish, and you managed to save an innervate or two in the process. If you're in the late game, and you top deck this, you get a 4/4 without taunt and maybe one card drawn that you can play next turn. Nourish draws you three and still leaves room to play an answer.

P.S. Wild growth with Auctioneer out only draws you one card
Reply Quote
04/12/2014 09:24 PMPosted by Archangel

P.S. Wild growth with Auctioneer out only draws you one card

turn 10 wild growth + auctioneer draws you 3 cards for 2 mana.
Edited by Kaww on 4/13/2014 4:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Yeah I've been running a variation of Ramp, although I run Savage Roar/Force of Nature as well(tried dropping it but it's just too good as a closer or ambush style win)and I'm missing some of the legendaries. It's quite good. Just hit rank 5. Don't really have problems with any deck. Of course if I get a bad starting hand vs. zoo I probably lose but that's true for every class probably.
Reply Quote
Hello I've been running Ramp with a lot of success, the deck type is really solid esp. if you run things like the 3/3 minon heal or the 3 mana cost heal spell to put you out of burn range. However right now I'm having trouble with the Warlock Giants archetype, due to the lack of hard removal I end up burning multiple cards just to get rid of the giants, and then his own big minions finish me off. Does anyone have tips of dealing with this deck? I already run 1 BGH and 1 faceless, should I go 2 BGH?
Reply Quote
04/13/2014 08:09 PMPosted by roslolian
Hello I've been running Ramp with a lot of success, the deck type is really solid esp. if you run things like the 3/3 minon heal or the 3 mana cost heal spell to put you out of burn range. However right now I'm having trouble with the Warlock Giants archetype, due to the lack of hard removal I end up burning multiple cards just to get rid of the giants, and then his own big minions finish me off. Does anyone have tips of dealing with this deck? I already run 1 BGH and 1 faceless, should I go 2 BGH?

Yeah I'd like some help against handlock too. Its fine if they open with drakes as you can silence those, but mt. giant opening is just too brutal with only 1 bgh in your deck.
Reply Quote
04/13/2014 08:09 PMPosted by roslolian

Having trouble with this as well. I run a Deathwing wich can help a bit for an abrupt board clear, but it's shakey at best since you're praying he doesn't have hard removal ready. Maybe a doomsayer could work but that means surviving his turn and praying he doesn't have removal.

I don't run a BGH, so I might try that one since I seem to be getting them more around the rank I am in at the moment (+- 12)

Also, has anyone tried to make a combination with Watcher Druid? Is it viable?
Reply Quote
I don't think it's necessary to run 2 BGHs, but one is an absolute must.

When I ran ramp, I'd say I had a 50/50 or better rate against handlock. Getting your ramp is just as clutch as getting the BGH/Keeper early.

If you can get a Sunwalker, Ancient (Lore or War, both good), or even big Legend before the Warlock's able to cast Siphon Soul, you're in a great spot.

Sunwalker/AoW can both trade 1-for-1 with a giant unless the warlock slows his game and plays an owl.

Black Knight will handle taunted giants later, so it's great to draw him not too far into the game.

Faceless is usually a bad idea; facelessing a giant will allow the warlock to Argus theirs + Kill yours, Attack/PO -> shadowflame, or simply siphon. It's much more important that you answer their minions.

If you can, save Druids of the Claw for charging the lock down at the end. The extra burst is extremely helpful. Same with swipes, but you'll often need those to clear giants.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]