Looking for information on Ramp Deck.

Hi everyone,

I hitted level 60 with my shaman earlier this week and I think I will settle for druid next because I really like the middle and late game and thus feel druid are really well equipi to play those mobs earlier.

Right Now I have this block that most of my druid deck come up with.
Azure Drake x2
Gadgezstan Auctionneer x1
Swipe x 2
Wrath x 2
Nourish x 2
Innervate x 2
Mana grow x 2

Is this a good basis to make a ramp deck? Where should I go from there... should I carry rank 1 creature?

I got plenty of questions like this and the search result is not positive. Soo I would really appreciate tips from someone with more experience with druid than me. Especialy a ramp deck. thank!
Reply Quote
Ive played around with that for ages legends and faceless is the way to go but hunters and locks will drive you insane
Reply Quote
Suicide aggro decks are your biggest worry, of course.

You may as well consider a pair of Wild Pyromancers part of the "core block." Without them, you have very poor consistency against super-fast decks. Personally, I find running a pair of Earthern Ring Farseers to help a lot as well. Taunt is crucial. Druids of the Claw and Ancients of War are the obvious choices there, but Hogger has saved my behind more times than I can remember with this type of decks. Of course, there will be Keepers.

Beyond those, it's usually a matter of personal preference (and which Legendaries you have access to). I usually run one Naturalize and two Claws with this in case I have to break a crucial combo early (or nail something crucial late in case of Naturalize). Cenarius, Rag, and Ysera are the obvious finishers, but depending on availability any number of big fat finishing Legendaries will fill in here pretty well.
Edited by Ulyanasaurus on 3/15/2014 10:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Do you carry an healing touch?
Edited by Kelmort on 3/16/2014 6:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I run a Druid ramp deck as my main deck.
Your biggest weakness: Heavy aggro/Burn/Your opening hand

Drop any hand without an innervate and in my opinion only 1 nourish should be enough. I run two currently and any hand with two nourish ends up being a dead hand, lost to so much tempo.

Perfect opening play would have to be, skip one. Turn two: Coin - Innervate - Nourish - Wild Growth/Wrath if minion is down.

From there, if your deck is heavy on the 5s (Druid of the claw would be the perfect next play) play into heavies or strict removal. Druids have a lot of removal and taunts, so a control tempo is perfect

Here's my deck list in order of mana

2 x Innervate
2 x Wild Growth
2 x Wrath
1 x Nat Pagle (Removed due to nerf, replacement inc)
2 x Keeper of the Grove (Mostly for silence and early game tempo shift)
2 x Swipe
2 x Nourish (1 to be removed)
2 x Druid of the Claw
2 x Azure Drake
1 x Faceless Manipulator
2 x Starfall
1 x Cairne Bloodhoof
2 x Sunwalker
1 x Ancient of lore
1 x Ancient of war
2 x Ironbark protectors
1 x Ragnoros
1 x Ysera
1 x Cenarius
Edited by TheDAFool on 3/16/2014 6:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/16/2014 06:35 AMPosted by TheDAFool
I run a Druid ramp deck as my main deck.
Your biggest weakness: Heavy aggro/Burn/Your opening hand

Drop any hand without an innervate and in my opinion only 1 nourish should be enough. I run two currently and any hand with two nourish ends up being a dead hand, lost to so much tempo.

Perfect opening play would have to be, skip one. Turn two: Coin - Innervate - Nourish - Wild Growth/Wrath if minion is down.

From there, if your deck is heavy on the 5s (Druid of the claw would be the perfect next play) play into heavies or strict removal. Druids have a lot of removal and taunts, so a control tempo is perfect

Here's my deck list in order of mana

2 x Innervate
2 x Wild Growth
2 x Wrath
1 x Nat Pagle (Removed due to nerf, replacement inc)
2 x Keeper of the Grove (Mostly for silence and early game tempo shift)
2 x Swipe
2 x Nourish (1 to be removed)
2 x Druid of the Claw
2 x Azure Drake
1 x Faceless Manipulator
2 x Starfall
1 x Cairne Bloodhoof
2 x Sunwalker
1 x Ancient of lore
1 x Ancient of war
2 x Ironbark protectors
1 x Ragnoros
1 x Ysera
1 x Cenarius

Thank!
Reply Quote
03/16/2014 06:11 AMPosted by Kelmort
Do you carry an healing touch?

No.

Wild Pyromancers and Earthern Ring Farseers tend to be much better at beating super-fast aggro than Healing Touch is. Healing Touch is a "win more" card most of the time in case you have already survived the early turns due to either you having a good draw or they having a bad draw or both. Against super-fast aggro the games tend to be decided in the early turns.

The key to beating super-fast aggro is to wipe his 1 and 2 pointers. There is basically no such thing as a "low threat" weenie minion when it comes to playing against super-fast aggro decks. The motto for beating super-fast aggro is this: Thou shalt not suffer a minion to live. If you can end an early turn with his side wiped clean and a live minion, then you have probably just won the game.

I highly recommend playing as super-fast aggro sometimes to get a feel for how they work in order to play against it. If you drop a 2nd turn Coin > Wild Pyromancer > Claw and wipe their board clean, then you have probably just won the game. They know it, too; sometimes they concede the game right there. Even if you end up having to cast Naturalize in place of Claw to wipe the board with Pyro, often times it ends up in your favor (having 1-drop removal helps you win the early tempo tremendously against super-fast aggro, triply so if you draw a Pyro).

If you go 1st, "wasting" an Innervate to trigger a Wild Pyromancer text on the 2nd turn can be devastating to the opponent, too. If you pull this off and have Wild Growth in your hand, think long and hard whether to cast it and let the Pyro die. Often times it's better to "waste" a Shapeshift to the face if there is no minion left and keep your Pyro alive. Remember that your priority is to keep the super-fast aggro's board clear, round after round. If they are forced to spend mana to deal with your minions to keep their own alive, it slows them down big time.

You drop a Healing Touch on an early turn, most super-fast aggro's reaction is probably "Thanks! Free turn!" With an Earthern Ring Farseer, the reaction is more like "Heck! There goes 3 health and an attacker that's probably going to kill 1/2 of my minions over the next 1/2 turns!" You want cards which help you kill those weenies. Also, the Earthern Ring Farseers are better against decks which aren't super-fast aggro. Healing one of your fat Druid minions for 3 can be terribly deflating for most opponents. Gotta love eating a 3/2 with a Keeper, then next turn you drop a Farseer and eat another 3/2.
Edited by Ulyanasaurus on 3/16/2014 8:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Nice answer, I really appreciate it.

I have a golden Violet Teacher I could disenchant for one pyro's... should I ?

or Harison Ford for 400 dust.

Like I said when first starting this topic, I want to work my way to level 60 druid and thus do not mind crafting the necessary cards. (I do not have power of the wild nor starfall, no druid of the claw either)

I guess it's goodbye harison jones
Edited by Kelmort on 3/16/2014 9:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Alright, can you rate this please?

2x Innervate
2x Wrath
1x Tauren Warrior
2x Raging Worgen
2x Swipe
2x Defender of Argus (I'm thinking wild pyro instead?)
1x Twiligh Drake (in case I have a really bad starting hand)
1x Violet teacher
1x Ancient mage
2x Starfall
1x Nourish
2x Gadgetstan
2x Azure Drake
2x Druid of the claw
2x Starfire
2x Argent commander
1x Ironbark
Edited by Kelmort on 3/16/2014 9:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/16/2014 09:17 AMPosted by Kelmort
Nice answer, I really appreciate it.

I have a golden Violet Teacher I could disenchant for one pyro's... should I ?

or Harison Ford for 400 dust.

Like I said when first starting this topic, I want to work my way to level 60 druid and thus do not mind crafting the necessary cards. (I do not have power of the wild nor starfall, no druid of the claw either)

I guess it's goodbye harison jones

Oh man, I couldn't possibly recommend Dusting a Golden Violet Teacher!

Harry, okay. I mean, he's excellent against some decks, but if I am going to play Druid ramp, I'm not doing it without Pyros! I can hardly imagine playing Druid without Claws, either, but Ironbark Protectors can kind of cover for Ancients of War (but that 1 extra drop hurts, though). I would craft The Black Knight before Ancients of War for this deck still, even though AoWs are definite upgrades over Ironbarks. I wouldn't bother with Power of the Wild or Starfall for a ramp deck. I rather have more fat minions (a Faceless Manipulator is quite nice for this, as somebody else said, but it's more of a luxury).
Reply Quote
Alright, can you rate this please?

2x Innervate
2x Wrath
1x Tauren Warrior
2x Raging Worgen
2x Swipe
2x Defender of Argus (I'm thinking wild pyro instead?)
1x Twiligh Drake (in case I have a really bad starting hand)
1x Violet teacher
1x Ancient mage
2x Starfall
1x Nourish
2x Gadgetstan
2x Azure Drake
2x Druid of the claw
2x Starfire
2x Argent commander
1x Ironbark

That's probably too combo-intensive for ramp to be consistent and you need more 1-drop and 2-drop spells for the Pyros to work consistently. Without the 1-drop and 2-drop spells, you can't consistently trigger the Pyro the turn it drops early enough (which means he will probably just die doing nothing). Besides, is it even ramp when it only has one total of Wild Growth/Nourish? That's more like a standard mid range Druid.

I would probably go with something like this:

2x Innervate
2x Claw
1x Naturalize
2x Wild Growth (remember that if you get to late game and don't need more mana, you can save them for later, because casting these while at 10 mana lets you draw a card or three, and with the Pyros these can be used as AE damage, 8-point/10-point Swipe/Pyro/WG board wipe combos out of the hand can be deadly, especially if you are already at 10 mana and add insult to injury drawing three cards off of it if you have a Gadgetzan out, because casting WG at 10 mana gives you a 0 cost spell that says draw a card)
2x Wrath
2x 4-drop "Meat" (I prefer Keepers of the Grove, but if you don't have those, Sen'jin Shieldmasta or Chillwind Yeti will do. Remember that there are some situations where you will want to silence your own Pyros.)
2x Swipe
2x Druid of the Claw
2x Ancient of War (Ironbark Protector if you don't have these)

2x Wild Pyromancer (remember that these are cheap enough that you can hold these in hand to combo with spells later).
2x Earthern Ring Farseer (I guess Tauren Warrior, Harvest Golem, or Blood Knight ought to do alright here if you don't have Farseers, but I would skip the Worgens, strong Worgen plays are memorable, but the Worgens are not consistent. It may take a while before it sinks in how strong the Farseers are in this kind of decks)
2x "Mid Range" (probably Azure Drakes for you, or a mix of Azure/Twilight)
1x Gadgetzan Auctioneer
1x 5-drop utility minion (I like Faceless Manipulator here, but another Gadgetzan Auctioneer or down-shift to your 4-drop Golden Violet Teacher)
1x 6-drop bruiser (I love Hogger here, but Boulderfist Ogre will do)
4x "Legendaries" (The Black Knight is probably my first include, Ysera, Cenarius, Cairne Bloodhoof, Ragnaros, Sylvannas, Gruul, or basically whatever good Legendary you have access to or just plain old big fat high mana minions like extra AoW/AoL/Ironbark you aren't already using, or just another plain old Boulderfist Ogre or Ravenholdt Assassins or Sunwalker type fat minions, Sunwalker > Argent Commanders for the most part in this kind of decks, especially if you are running Farseers)

Name the deck something with the word "Wild" in it to celebrate the Wild Pyromancer/Wild Growth combo and you are good to go.
Edited by Ulyanasaurus on 3/16/2014 10:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thank. Gone 5-1 with first deck

Followed your instruction and made another.

2x Innervate
1x Naturalize
2x Claw
2x Wrath
2x Wild Grow
1x Wild Pyro (will craft another when dust allow)
1x Big Game Hunter (instead of black knight)
1x Earthen Farseer (don't have two)
1x Tauren Warrior
2x Swipe
1x Twilight Drake (mvp)
1x Violet Teacher (mvp)
2x KotG
1x Ancient mage (mvp)
2x Starfall
1x Gadgetstan Auctionneer
2x Azure Drake
2x Druid of the claw
1x Boulderfirst
2x Ironbark

(Legendaries = MVP)

I will go try it now, but I feel I might have not choosen the right "mvp creatures"
Edited by Kelmort on 3/16/2014 10:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/16/2014 10:56 AMPosted by Kelmort
Thank. Gone 5-1 with first deck

Followed your instruction and made another.

2x Innervate
1x Naturalize
2x Claw
2x Wrath
2x Wild Grow
1x Wild Pyro (will craft another when dust allow)
1x Big Game Hunter (instead of black knight)
1x Earthen Farseer (don't have two)
1x Tauren Warrior
2x Swipe
1x Twilight Drake (mvp)
1x Violet Teacher (mvp)
2x KotG
1x Ancient mage (mvp)
2x Starfall
1x Gadgetstan Auctionneer
2x Azure Drake
2x Druid of the claw
1x Boulderfirst
2x Ironbark

(Legendaries = MVP)

I will go try it now, but I feel I might have not choosen the right "mvp creatures"

Even with the 2x Starfalls added, I would probably dump the Ancient Mage for another Boulderfist Ogre or something. I mean, Ancient Mage can feel really good when it works, but he is way too inconsistent. If nothing else, it will overload the Hex/Polymorph defense before the Ironbarks eat their faces.
Edited by Ulyanasaurus on 3/16/2014 11:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It's just won me a game. Ancient mage + Swipe or Starfall

What I mean by not the right MVP is that I should try to fit a savage roar in my deck. maybe instead of claw?

Remanescence of my previous shaman life? ahah

Btw 4-1 with second deck, got stomped by a Giant Warlock / Jaraxxus (around rank 15)
Edited by Kelmort on 3/16/2014 11:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/16/2014 11:25 AMPosted by Kelmort
It's just won me a game. Ancient mage + Swipe or Starfall

What I mean by not the right MVP is that I should try to fit a savage roar in my deck. maybe instead of claw?

Remanescence of my previous shaman life? ahah

Btw 4-1 with second deck, got stomped by a Giant Warlock / Jaraxxus (around rank 15)

It's a big creature deck, so Savage Roar is not very efficient (also too expensive for Pyro). Now that I think about it, the Violet Teacher is probably not a good idea in this deck. Combos which require too many conditions tend to feel really good when they work, but they really hurt your consistency. For a Violet Teacher/Savage Roar combo to work, you need to have Violet Teacher out first, keep her alive, cast a few spells, then finally have Savage Roar and no/low Taunt on the other side for the combo finish. That's generally not a good idea. I would dump that for another auctioneer.

I mean, if you wanted to go Savage Roar, I would go 2x Roar, 2x Violet Teacher and 2x Power of the Wild in combination with early sticky minions like Argent Squire and Harvest Golems and some more cheap 1-drop and 2-drop minions (probably Loot Hoarder, Bloodmage Thalnos, or Novice Engineers or something to have a higher chance to pull the combo). With a deck like this with basically only Pyros and Farseers, you are trying to break even early trading minion for minion. You won't have enough minions to make Roar good consistently.

You aren't a Shaman; you don't have the totems for it. You need the MVP slots to be FAT. I mean, you are ramping. Those MVP slots need to hurt, otherwise, you are just spending cards for mana without gaining anything from it. Even Ravenholdt Assassins would be superior. I also do not like Starfalls for the this kind of decks: It's not very likely for you to have won board control early to make minion removal at 5 drops good consistently.

- - -

Against Giant Warlock, you will probably end up trading more than one card for the first Mountain Giant. After that, you need to manipulate the Warlock's health to keep him off Molten Giant range until you are ready. You can't let the Warlock get away with surviving just dropping a Hellfire (Ancient Mage on Pyro/Farseer is just asking for it). You need to DoC/Boulderfist/Sunwalker/Chillwind Yeti early to force him to Soulfire or Watcher+activate sooner than he wants to. If you can make him use multiple cards to prevent dropping within Lethal, it slows down his Mountain Giants.

This is where the weakness of Starfire over more fat bodies really shows. You don't want to be Starfiring his giants with spellpower after they drop. Watcher to the face isn't an immediate concern, either. You want to make him having to trade removal for the threats you drop. You would much rather drop Chillwind/DoC/Boulderfist/Sunwalker to eat his face, forcing him into using cards for removal and/or dropping his Watcher+activate early to survive. That delays his first Mountain Giant or makes his second hard to cast.

I think the main weakness right now is that you are running mostly utility in the slots which are meant to be fat. I'm surprised you were able to win with 2x Starfire, Ancient Mage, and Violet Teacher as your four "fatties." Well, I reckon the 2x Starfire is supposed to cover for running only one Pyro, but they are strong under very different conditions, which means that they serve very different strategic roles. I would go ahead replace those with a combination of Boulderfist Ogre, Sunwalker, or Ravenholdt Assassin, or Stranglethorn Tiger instead (depending on what you have).

Of course, it's not quite as good as dropping AoL/AoW/Rag/Cenarius/Ysera, but it's usually better than a Starfall/Violet Teacher/Ancient Mage. Against Giant Warlock, Faceless Manipulator in your utility slot is obviously good, but another auctioneer has its advantages in general, so it's not a high priority replacement.
Reply Quote

@TheDAFool

Nonsense. Turn one coin and wild growth gives you 3 mana on turn two. Innervate turn two for a druid of the claw etc., turn three keeper or chillwind yeti.
Reply Quote
04/12/2014 08:40 PMPosted by Archangel

@TheDAFool

Nonsense. Turn one coin and wild growth gives you 3 mana on turn two. Innervate turn two for a druid of the claw etc., turn three keeper or chillwind yeti.

In the context of my own deck, which was posted above this quote.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]