Why is Blade Flurry affected by spell damage?

I know as rogues you love it, but do you really think it should? Doesn't it seem a bit too strong that way? Also, it doesn't make any sense by the wording and any other rules of spell power for other cards.
Reply Quote
Because it's a spell.

Don't really feel that it's too powerful since unless you can combo Blade Furry with a buffed up weapon, it's pretty poor. Assuming you don't already have daggers out, it's 4 Mana for 1 damage to all enemy minions (2 to one of them if you attack first).
Reply Quote
Is there a particular reason for you to think that a rogue's spell doesn't count as a spell?
Reply Quote
He has a point - Buff "Spells" aren't affected. ie, I can't change "Give a minion +3 Attack" to +4. I have wondered why minion spells aren't buffed though. Like fire elemental's battle cry. Seems like maybe the wording or rules need to be clarified? Similar to Water elemental not freezing when it only dealt armor damage (pre-patch) I actually thought that was a neat idea mechanic - until I found out it was just a bug
Edited by Windadep on 3/16/2014 10:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/16/2014 10:54 PMPosted by Windadep
He has a point - Buff "Spells" aren't affected. ie, I can't change "Give a minion +3 Attack" to +4. I have wondered why minion spells aren't buffed though. Like fire elemental's battle cry. Seems like maybe the wording or rules need to be clarified? Similar to Water elemental not freezing when it only dealt armor damage (pre-patch) I actually thought that was a neat idea mechanic - until I found out it was just a bug

Buffs are spells, but they don't do damage, so duh. Nothing confusing about that.

It's like Perdition Blade, once the casting is finished, it's a weapon and not a spell anymore, so neither the Battlecry nor attacking with it is amplified by Spell Damage.
Reply Quote
Spell Damage are for SPELLS that do DAMAGE not buffs

so something like lightning bot is increased to 4*

but rockbitter stays at 3

it is very important to understand the difference between buffs/utility such as mark of the wild or unleash the hounds, and direct damage such as fireball or swipe.
Edited by Deadlyroot on 3/21/2014 2:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I find it confusing and counter intuitive that Blade Furry is affected by spell damage.

Is Holy Wrath effected by spell damage? (spell that does damage)

Is Savagery effected by spell damage? (spell that does damage)

Is Shield Slam effected by spell damage? (spell that does damage)

EDIT: As it turns out all of these cards are effected by spell damage cards. Including Shadowflame and also Aucheni Soulpriest + Healing cards.

Screenshots and specifics can be seen here:
http://2p.com/4121791_1/Hearthstone-Beginner-Guide-Something-You-Need-to-Know-about-Spell-Damage-Buff-by-Camille.htm
Edited by retrospy on 4/22/2014 7:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It makes perfect sense, really.

Spell Damage adds to any spell that deals damage as a numerical value, which is why it does nothing for something like Assassinate or Shadow Word: Death. Blade Flurry's wording is kept simple, but it functions as: "Destroy your weapon; deal X damage to all enemies, where X is the damage of the destroyed weapon."

While there's no numerical value explicitly stated on the card, it does deal damage as a numerical value, therefore it makes sense that Spell Damage applies to it.
Reply Quote
Yup makes sense for all the reasons already stated. Any spell card that says "deal...damage" gets buffed by spell power. Pretty simple.

Like retrospy noted (who needs to learn the difference between effect and affect), all the other direct damage spells that have specific conditions with variable damage also get boosted. Like also noted, buffs are not direct damage and so are not boosted, e.g. cold blood doesn't get boosted.And like Raz noted, it's just that some cards have a variable number, X, instead of a strict single number (e.g. X = "For each armor you have" for shield slam).
Edited by Trypsinogen on 4/28/2014 12:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Even explosive trap is affected by spell damage I'm pretty sure.
Reply Quote
03/16/2014 08:51 PMPosted by Coldin
Because it's a spell.

^Pretty much this
Reply Quote
Does Holy Wrath get buffed by spell damage?

If Blade Flurry does, so should Holy Wrath.
Reply Quote
05/01/2014 09:46 AMPosted by OldTallen
Does Holy Wrath get buffed by spell damage?

Yes.
Reply Quote
Don't know if this was mentioned already, didn't read the rest of the thread..

Shadowflame (Warlock spell) is the same way, it is effected by spell damage.

Blade Flurry is fine the way it is.
Reply Quote
I agree this is bull!@#$. I just played a rogue and I was completely in the lead when he blade flurried a 3/2 dagger that he poisoned. did 4 damage to ALL characters not just minions. It does not show that the card is increased by spell damage so I could not plan for that. Completely overpowered. If you are going to leave this as a feature at least %^-*ing show people that it is affected by spell damage so they can plan for it. I hate hidden secrets that lose you games because it isnt clearly explained. Also IN WHAT WAY SHOULD A WEAPONS DAMAGE BE CONSIDERED A SPELL? !@#$ING STUPID CONCEPT NO MATTER HOW YOU LOOK AT IT.
Reply Quote
Erblat, chill out, go drink a coffee and come back when you are relaxed.

It makes perfect sense, just read through the above posts, they explain it very nicely.
Reply Quote
04/28/2014 01:02 PMPosted by towa666
Even explosive trap is affected by spell damage I'm pretty sure.

Yes, good luck keeping a spell damage minion alive and them procing the trap while it's there though. Only solution is pretty wonky, to play stealth minions and Ancient Mage to give them spellpower, then put down Explosive Trap. It's totally worth the +1 damage of course!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]