Hybrid aggro/control

I've been struggling to make Warrior control work for me, possibly because I lack the stompy late-game Legends like Rag and Grom. However I like the core setup for control that utilizes whirlwind with Acolytes of Pain, because this seems to be the only way to get good draw potential with Warrior. So I made a deck that takes that core but also uses the enrage minions that would more likely be seen in a rush deck. I find I end up playing it half to-the-face and half as control, depending on the state of the board and its been more successful than other decks I've tried. I wonder if anyone else has tried something like this, and what do you think? Here's the deck:

2x Inner Rage
2x Execute
1x Shield Slam (I only own 1)
2x Whirlwind
2x Fiery War Axe
1x Rampage
2x Armani Berserker
2x Armorsmith
2x Acolyte of Pain
2x Frothing Berserker
2x Raging Worgen
2x Arathi Weaponsmith
2x Sen'Jin Shieldmasta
1x Arcanite Reaper
2x Gurubashi Berserker
1x Cairne Bloodhoof
1x The Black Knight
1x Ysera
Reply Quote
I actually like this a lot. I've been playing heavy control and wanted something more midrange... I'll probably try this out and swap Ysera/BK for Geddon/Grommash
Reply Quote
Gurubashi Berserker is a solid replacement for Grommash, obviously not as good due to lacking charge and requiring more cards to make it effective, but it is somewhat workable. I don't see Cruel Taskmasters in your list, which is a must have Imho, especially since you're using Gurubashi Berserkers rather than Grommash himself, so you need to be able to pump them a lot. Turn 5 Gurubashi Berserker into turn 6 Cruel Taskmaster into Cruel Taskmaster into Inner Rage into Inner Rage is the dream, gives you +2+2+2+2+3+3+3+3 for a total of +20 damage or 22 total damage, though as you can see it relies on having 4 combo pieces and for your Berserker to survive a whole turn.

The thing going for you is that when people see a Warrior with Acolyte of Pain, Armorsmith, etc they'll automatically assume the cookie cutter control Warrior deck, so they'll know to burn their removal on these cards to not let you stall endlessly into your finishers, when in your deck since you're running 2 Gurubashi Berserkers you have a higher chance of drawing them and you're also significantly more minion heavy than traditional control Warrior decks so you can punch through some early damage to your opponent's face before you drop your Berserkers, and hopefully live for a turn as you've hopefully baited out some removal previously with the Acolytes and Armorsmiths.

Still, the traditional Warrior control deck is stronger, but I can see this deck working to an extent, not sure how far you'll manage to go with it but it's a solid cheap alternative to the otherwise expensive control build.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]