Am I the only person that stopped using...

shadow word spells?

I'm kinda serious. (well, ok I use ONE shadow word:death)

This is the deck I'm running atm (please notice that I DO NOT play priest in ranked. I'm a Druid/Shaman control player)

2x circle of healing
2x inner fire
2x holy smite
2x ironbeak owl
1x loot hoarder
1x bloodmage thalnos
1x doomsayer
2x thoughtsteal
1x shadow word: death
2x questing adventurer
2x injured blademaster
1x shadow madness
2x mindgames
2x auchenai soulpriest
1x faceless manipulator
2x holy nova
2x holy fire
1x ragnaros
1x ysera

The deck is doing fine, with about 55-58% win rate at my elo(mmr or whatever you want to call it)

especially, stop using shadow word:pain! and remember that inner fire can be used on the enemy as well!
Edited by DonAlosi on 3/19/2014 8:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It's a natural decision to make. It's the first spell most veteran Priests take out.
Reply Quote
I still run two deaths because at high rankings people run a lot of legendaires like rag, grommash, alex, baron, etc
Reply Quote
it's not unusual. I've played priest as 'main' since open beta and have progressively removed all the cards that seem very strong at first but are actually holding you back.
- Divine Spirit / Inner Fire : very unreliable, you'll lose more than you win, because they will sit in your hand without opportunity to play them against better players. At best you get one attack of and you get silenced/removed and you lose. Just doesn't work past the lower ranks.
- Lightspawn: too vulnerable, has to be the minion that dies the fastest to just about anything.
- Mind Games: cost too high for what it does, since you do not get the battlecry you need to pull at least a good 5 cost minion to be on par with a Yeti (a 4 drop which you could've used instead of Mind Games). Used it extensively, found that in the majority of the cases Yeti would've been way better.
- SW Pain : look good but you end up using it on random targets anyway, and brings no board presence at all! You trade a card for a card and the initiative stays with your opponent. Replaced them with low cost minions and became much more effective. Also the 4 attack blind spot can be a pain if they buff their minions, better have a minion on the board yourself.

SW Death however is good imo, you need at least one in your deck. Mind Control is also good but never more than 1 , too high a risk to be a dead card if you draw it early.
Reply Quote
i rather pay 2 mana to kill a tazdingo or a mage elemental than lose 2 minions with the same finality. I mean really? Not even 1 SW Pain? Oh well, cant argue with taste.
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 01:39 AMPosted by sinner
i rather pay 2 mana to kill a tazdingo or a mage elemental than lose 2 minions with the same finality. I mean really? Not even 1 SW Pain? Oh well, cant argue with taste.

Against a Taz I tend to prefer playing shadow madness (or clear the board with auchenai+circle of healing)

truth is, I don't see tazdingos very often.

edit: another nice combo you can pull off in early game against Taz or rush decks with lots of board presence is Doomsayer+Inner Fire (or if you know that they can just silence Doomsayer, play Doomsayer, get silenced, enjoy your new 7/7)
Edited by DonAlosi on 3/20/2014 7:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 01:09 AMPosted by Vallkryst
it's not unusual. I've played priest as 'main' since open beta and have progressively removed all the cards that seem very strong at first but are actually holding you back.
- Divine Spirit / Inner Fire : very unreliable, you'll lose more than you win, because they will sit in your hand without opportunity to play them against better players. At best you get one attack of and you get silenced/removed and you lose. Just doesn't work past the lower ranks.

Divine spirit is kinda useless, people who like to play it kinda forget that they just used 3 cards(minion+divine spirit+inner fire) for something that requires just an owl to be negated

Inner fire has got its uses, at least you can play it against annoying enemy minions with 4 attack.

example: enemy plays ysera (4/12), on my turn I play Inner fire+Shadow word death (of course you could just silence ysera, but sometimes you got to play with what you got in your hand, and what I'm trying to say is that at least Inner Fire has got more versality that Divine Spirit)

- Lightspawn: too vulnerable, has to be the minion that dies the fastest to just about anything.

completely agreed.

- Mind Games: cost too high for what it does, since you do not get the battlecry you need to pull at least a good 5 cost minion to be on par with a Yeti (a 4 drop which you could've used instead of Mind Games). Used it extensively, found that in the majority of the cases Yeti would've been way better.

I know, but sometimes, when you manage to get a cairne, or an ironbark at turn 4... It's a gimmicky card that's fun to have. I will probably swap it with 2 azure drakes or 2 acolites of pain whenever I get bored of it.

- SW Pain : look good but you end up using it on random targets anyway, and brings no board presence at all! You trade a card for a card and the initiative stays with your opponent. Replaced them with low cost minions and became much more effective. Also the 4 attack blind spot can be a pain if they buff their minions, better have a minion on the board yourself.

SW Death however is good imo, you need at least one in your deck. Mind Control is also good but never more than 1 , too high a risk to be a dead card if you draw it early.

I don't really like Mind control, it's just a dead card most of the times, It seems more efficient to me to just use faceless manipulator for half the mana, the opponent will still have his card, true, but at least you kinda evened the field per one round, plus you can just copy your own ragnaros or ysera for laughs.
Reply Quote
Not running Pain = autolose vs Mage

Their Mana Wyrm / Amani Berserker will do too much damage to you early game if you can't remove them, and Pain is the only real way to accomplish that. You COULD smite the berserker on turn 3 after it has already hit you for 5, but you really can't afford to sacrifice hp against a mage.

Then you have the Water Elementals - a better version of a yeti that takes SIX damage to remove and freezes anything it trades with. It virtually guarantees at least a two-for-one, unless you can hit it with a Pain.
Reply Quote
03/20/2014 07:08 AMPosted by DonAlosi
Divine spirit is kinda useless, people who like to play it kinda forget that they just used 3 cards(minion+divine spirit+inner fire) for something that requires just an owl to be negated

if you DS+IF before you can use the minion, sure. Most of the strength of the combo comes from having the high health minion survive on the board, then buffing it to swing in for the kill.
Reply Quote
noob
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]