Warrior decks sporting about 6 legendaries

These decks I've been seeing are entirely cookie cutter, and on a frequent basis over the past week. Stacking a lot of armor with armorsmith and shield wall, spamming draw card mechanics through the acolyte of pain and whirlwind, shield bashing anything powerful you send out, and then the real pain starts...

Ragnaros
Grommash Hellscream
Baron Geddon
Ysera
Cairne Bloodhoof
Alexstrasza

Most of these legendaries have something in common: They can do something even if the opposing player can destroy them the following turn. It's a force to be reckoned with when I'm playing my Druid in ranked. My question is...

HOW THE HELL IS THIS COOKIE CUTTER? How are there so many players playing all 6 of these legendaries (often golden too), and also having all the right warrior cards to back this up? How on earth are there so many players lately running this exact deck?
Reply Quote
To be honest, out of these 6 legendaries only 2 are crucial: Alexstrasza and Grommash, the rest aren't really needed at all, and I'd argue that other than Baron Geddon who is a very powerful staller, the rest shouldn't even appear in Warrior control decks but people play them because they already have them. As long as you have Alexstrasza and Grommash you can pull off your combo, Alexstrasza to put your opponent on 15 life than Grommash+Inner Rage/Cruel Taskmaster for 12 damage, last 3 comes either from a minion you already had on board or a Fiery War Axe/Gorehowl you already had in play.

This is the gist of it, the rest of the deck is all about controlling the board and stalling, something that Baron Geddon helps tremendously with, Cairne is questionable as if he doesn't get instantly removed/silenced he is a decent road block but he's most likely gonna eat removal. Which is something you really don't need removal magnets as even if Alexstrasza dies instantly he still did his thing, leaving Grommash to clean house with his charge, so again no possibility of removal before death. Ragnaros and Ysera are alternate win conditions, weak ones at that, and I find completely unnecessary for the above reason. Control Warrior, unlike other control decks, doesn't run a lot of fatties like Giants based decks, in fact it doesn't run a lot of minions at all, unlike non Giants based control decks like Druid, Shaman, etc, so Ragnaros' 8 damage to the face is highly unlikely to be anywhere near finisher material and it's not like you have a good way to follow up after he gets dealt with the following turn. Ysera is simply slow and unless you draw Ysera Awakens is also a low impact minion unless she somehow sticks around for a long time, which again is a very unlikely scenario.

So instead of Ragnaros, Ysera and even Cairne I prefer cheaper minions/spells that actually help you to control the board and stall the game. If you ask me, 2 legendaries is not excessive at all, and even if you go 3-5(Baron Geddon being the 3rd, than Black Knight and/or Nat Pagle) you're starting to go overboard but as I said, those aren't really needed, just solid to bring if you already have them. Don't bother with the rest, even if they're great in other control decks as Warrior control is unique and works very differently from other control decks.
Reply Quote
A lot of players have been playing for a long time and have managed to make a lot of good legendaries. A lot of people have paid for packs as well. In the current meta it's really difficult to make a deck that utilizes all these big legendaries though. The control warrior is just about the only one that both consistently beats aggro and can still have an extremely strong legendary-heavy late game. It's a fun deck to play, and it's a very strong one as well. That's why it's popular.

Not sure why this puzzles you so much though.
Reply Quote
03/22/2014 05:46 AMPosted by Zihq

I've gotten used to cookie cutter builds. Seen almost all of them. Hunters with the same exact decks across many many matches. Warlocks too. Hell, Paladins? Priests? Shamans? Their decks don't even vary slightly, except for one thing: Which legendaries they employ.

I don't use any legendaries here at rank 12, so pardon me if I'm baffled at a deck consisting of 6 legendaries to be common across every warrior I've faced in the past week.
Reply Quote
03/22/2014 06:07 AMPosted by chiapet1337
03/22/2014 05:46 AMPosted by Zihq

I've gotten used to cookie cutter builds. Seen almost all of them. Hunters with the same exact decks across many many matches. Warlocks too. Hell, Paladins? Priests? Shamans? Their decks don't even vary slightly, except for one thing: Which legendaries they employ.

I don't use any legendaries here at rank 12, so pardon me if I'm baffled at a deck consisting of 6 legendaries to be common across every warrior I've faced in the past week.

It has to do with the deck structure of Warrior control they play a ton of really cheap spells which cost 0-2, so they make up for that by havng some cards in the 6-8 range. So 2 high cost cards you devote to Grom and Alex since that's the combo, Geddon is good against Shaman, Rag is Rag and Cairne is Cairn and good against anything, Ysera isn't a common Warrior card so maybe you just thought you kept seeing it.

Considering you keep talking about cookie-cutter, it should come as no surprise to you Warriors would be runnign the same 5-6 legends after all if you can afford it why not put them in there? The legends I mentioned are all very good or fit a specific niche for the deck that's hard to replicate with non legendary cards.
Reply Quote
Ysera, Ragnaros, and Cairn are good cards in most any control deck. Warrior has no big creatures inherently outside of the class legendary (No Ancient of War, no Ironbark Sentinel) so it's kinda legendaries or nothing. The prevalence of legendaries probably has something to do with Blizz having not wiped the servers since halfway through the beta; there absolutely are a ton of people who have every single card at this point and didn't necessarily spend any money on them.

Of course, the real reason you run into nothing but control warriors is because there is no other viable warrior deck. You could call it a weakness of the class if no build not containing half a dozen legendaries makes it above rank 5. :)
Reply Quote
03/22/2014 05:03 AMPosted by chiapet1337
HOW THE HELL IS THIS COOKIE CUTTER? How are there so many players playing all 6 of these legendaries (often golden too), and also having all the right warrior cards to back this up?

There's a lot of people who've gotten a lot of Legendaries from playing in the Beta for months.

There's a lot of people who've paid to get lots of packs and have lots of Legendaries.

There's people who have farmed Arena efficiently and got lots of packs and therefore Legendaries.

People who have lots of Legendaries are more likely to want to build decks that utilize as many as possible - Because, if you're not using a Legendary, what's the point in having it?

Thus, Warrior - One of the few decks that can support large numbers of Legendaries and still be viable (One of the other ones is Control Druid)
Reply Quote
I am running just ysera and rag and I am currently rank 8. Haven't spent a dime so I think its viable to do well without spamming legends.
Reply Quote
Warrior spells are cheap because they are WEAK and require COMBO play (see CARD STARVING)
It's no wonder Warriors have high dependency on more legendaries than any other class.
Reply Quote
03/25/2014 02:39 PMPosted by Ravis
Warrior spells are cheap because they are WEAK and require COMBO play (see CARD STARVING)
It's no wonder Warriors have high dependency on more legendaries than any other class.

One win away from rank 6 with just 2 legendary in deck. They didn't even see the board in my last 4 matches.
Reply Quote
Good job. what's your deck comp like?
But my opinion still stands.. unless you're drawing like a god, you're still losing when you're forced to spend 2 cards every 2 turns

Also, can you honestly tell me you've been playing warrior for like 90% of your ranked game or mixing in other classes
Edited by Ravis on 3/25/2014 6:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
its probably the best and most expensive control deck atm.
Reply Quote
03/25/2014 05:18 PMPosted by Ravis
But my opinion still stands.. unless you're drawing like a god, you're still losing when you're forced to spend 2 cards every 2 turns

Also, can you honestly tell me you've been playing warrior for like 90% of your ranked game or mixing in other classes

Or you can stop with your anti Warrior bias and realize that the class isn't nearly as bad as you insist on viewing it as. Also, rather than 2 for 1ing yourself by say ping+execute to kill 1 minion you can also use a Fiery War Axe to 2 for 1 your opponent, 1 weapon killing 2 enemy minions. Speaking of weapons, you don't have to play 1 every turn to remove your opponent's minions, as your weapons have at least 2 uses, Gorehowl has even more if used properly. Besides, playing 2 cards every 2 turns is basically like playing 1 card every turn, which is something a lot of decks do, so I really don't get your point.
Reply Quote
03/25/2014 05:18 PMPosted by Ravis

I have been playing warrior and warrior ONLY since rank 15 and on. Check out my other post in the warrior forum, it is my deck list. My list has quite a few cards that people think I should cut, but because I am playing for the meta and playing SMART, playing non cookie cutter has been a boon for me.
Reply Quote
BTW OP, here is the particular warrior deck that you're having trouble with:
http://hearthstone.blizzpro.com/2014/02/21/dkmrs-deck-of-the-week-1-warrior-control/

It was featured as deck of the week by dkmrs.
Reply Quote
Remember all those Control Druids? They became red-skinned Orcs or Handlocks.
What about those OTK Warriors? They became red-skinned Orcs without Molten Giants but with Gromm.
Reply Quote
03/27/2014 03:19 PMPosted by VSarius
What about those OTK Warriors? They became red-skinned Orcs without Molten Giants but with Gromm.

Don't even have gromm in my deck and I just winning Streaked myself into 2 star rank 5. Still only ysera and rag in my deck. I played against 2x warrior who played cairne, sylvanas, gromm, rag, alex, ysera against me and i beat both of them. All i did was finally get a shield slam in my deck lol.
Reply Quote
03/27/2014 11:31 PMPosted by TheDukeOfTBC
03/27/2014 03:19 PMPosted by VSarius

Don't even have gromm in my deck and I just winning Streaked myself into 2 star rank 5. Still only ysera and rag in my deck. I played against 2x warrior who played cairne, sylvanas, gromm, rag, alex, ysera against me and i beat both of them. All i did was finally get a shield slam in my deck lol.

Yeah, Control vs. Control really does come down to who draws and uses their removal correctly less so how many threats they have. Although I'm surprised you lived thru the Alex-Gromm combo, I'm guessing a lucky Shield Block draw?
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 05:08 AMPosted by VSarius
03/27/2014 11:31 PMPosted by TheDukeOfTBC

Yeah, Control vs. Control really does come down to who draws and uses their removal correctly less so how many threats they have. Although I'm surprised you lived thru the Alex-Gromm combo, I'm guessing a lucky Shield Block draw?

I still had 20+ armor lol. Because I don't have the legends backing this deck I have learned to milk every last bit of value from every single card I play lol.
Reply Quote
Just out of curiousity .. do other classes have a good time using the same # of legendaries as this?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]