Brawl tweak

I know we're live now, and that means changes to existing cards are going to be few and far between, but I still hate how often Brawl ends up being either a dead card (only one powerful enemy) or counterproductive (you really need to remove one or more dangerous enemies, but you have solid presence). Just seems like too many weaknesses for our only area removal. What would people think of this change:

Summon a 4/4 drunken brawler.
Destroy all minions except one. (chosen randomly)
Reply Quote
Other than increasing the mana cost to compensate, how does adding another creature to thew brawl change any of the problems with it?
Reply Quote
I'd rather have explosive shot than have the current brawl. seriously.. brawl is garbage RNG card
Reply Quote
03/23/2014 05:55 AMPosted by Studoku
Other than increasing the mana cost to compensate, how does adding another creature to thew brawl change any of the problems with it?

It would still be an RNG fest in many situations (and honestly that doesn't bother me, kind of like that aspect), but it would be less likely to be a dead card (I personally find cards that have high potential to be dead undesirable/poorly designed). And I never said anything about raising the mana cost. Some situations, and how this change would benefit:

Opponent has one minion, you have none:
Currently - dead card
Change - 50% chance to come out ahead

Neither player has minions out:
Currently - dead card
Change - You get a minion (but a low value one, 4/4 for 5 mana)

In any other situation it would just give you a slightly better chance of coming out ahead (and don't we play cards with that in mind?). It would still be highly RNG based, and you still wouldn't want to use it in 99% of situations where you have more minions than your opponent.
Reply Quote
i actually really like this idea a lot
Reply Quote
brawls a little too powerful it's a card oppenents have to play around way worse than thinkmaster
Reply Quote
I have rather good luck with it for the most part. It screws you occasionally, but even if it's 50/50 odds if I'm trying to get rid of something I can't kill any other I'm gonna throw bones.

I like your idea but I think there is an easier fix. The card is supposed to simulate a brawl who would leave a fight without taking damage. So why not have the victor emerge with one damage, unless it's a X/1 that way the warrior can excite the minion if things don't roll their way. It's a two card combo like Equality Consecration that is of equal mana cost.
Edited by Peripatetic on 3/24/2014 7:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Deal damage to all creatures equal to the total number of creatures. That'd be fun.
Reply Quote
03/23/2014 07:49 AMPosted by KrakenAZ
03/23/2014 05:55 AMPosted by Studoku

It would still be an RNG fest in many situations (and honestly that doesn't bother me, kind of like that aspect), but it would be less likely to be a dead card (I personally find cards that have high potential to be dead undesirable/poorly designed). And I never said anything about raising the mana cost. Some situations, and how this change would benefit:

Currently - dead card

Currently - dead card

In any other situation it would just give you a slightly better chance of coming out ahead (and don't we play cards with that in mind?). It would still be highly RNG based, and you still wouldn't want to use it in 99% of situations where you have more minions than your opponent.

To compensate for the 4/4, brawl would have to be at least 8 to 9 mana cost, which would in all honesty make the card even worse. Lowering it would make it simply too broken since aoe's that utterly destroys units cost a lot and so does a 4/4 minion.

Concecrate 2 dmg all units --> 4 mana
Fan of Knives 1 dmg + card draw --> 3 mana
Blizzard 6 dmg + freeze --> 6 mana
Flamestrike 4 dmg --> 7 mana
Twisting Nether all units boom --> 8 mana

tl'dr; Brawl is just fine. It's not meant to be used against one or two units, but masses of them.
Edited by Calculus on 3/24/2014 7:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/23/2014 07:49 AMPosted by KrakenAZ
Some situations, and how this change would benefit:

Currently - dead card

Currently - dead card

You don't need to play AOE when you're ahead on board position anyway. This would be an incredibly unfair card. Brawl's played in plenty of quality decks now as is, it doesn't need any buff, especially not this one. Seriously, this is a 5 mana buff. 4 mana for a 4/4, and one for the extra value you get from the brawl effect.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]