How to deal with Feral Spirit as a Druid

Just had a game where shaman coined out unbound elemental and at turn 3 played spirit wolf, this ended up costing me the game as I had a bad hand and couldn't really deal with them. I understand bad RNG happens to all of us but are there any general strategies as how to deal with feral spirit? It feels terrible having to waste 2 wrath on 2 tokens and these are devastating when played early in the game.
Reply Quote
I keep losing to shamans consistently. Not even control warriors give me such hard time by far.
I know general rule of thumb is to not leave anything on shaman's side of board, but that's easier said than done (not mentioning how much tempo you lose because of it) and then there's the Feral Spirit ofc - things get out of hand then.

I win against shaman only if I'm able to rush him down by turn 7, which happens only if he has terrible draws. I'm really clueless how to deal with them.
Edited by Engra on 3/25/2014 3:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
On turn 3? Naturalize + Wrath

Feral Spirit come with 2 overload which is a big mempo lost.

To tell you the truth, My shaman is lvl 60, have more than 500 win with them and I don't have feral spirit in my deck because they are too often hard removed.

I guess you need to post your druid deck to see where is the problem; you probably didnot start with the right cards in hand.

Other idea for countering / Claw + Heropower / Raging Worgen (if on the board before feral), Kobold + heropower and next turn swipe. Innervate + 5 mana taunt. (coin + anything with 5hp) Or if you have kobold on the board already / Innervate + Starfall. (turn 4) Wild pyro + coin + mark of the wild which leave him with 2 2/1 where your pyro is 3/4 taunt.

The worst that can happen is if you don't kill at least one of the wolf and next turn he drop a flametongue totem. But if you didnot react, it's clearly your deck fault, not the class.

Btw; Savage Roar + Power of the wild > Bloodlust. It's part of the reason why I now play Druid. Beside a good ramp druid can take down any shaman any day!
Edited by Kelmort on 3/25/2014 3:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
why the hell would you naturalize a !@#$ing feral spirit?
Reply Quote
On your turn, drop Wild Pyromancer, Innervate, and Swipe the Unbound Elemental in the face.

Goodbye, everybody; hello, Overload.
Reply Quote
it's kind of a "choose your poison"

You either regain board control and have him draw 2 cards.

or Snowball effect into flametongue 4/3 feral spirit x2

03/25/2014 11:33 AMPosted by Cuddlemnster
why the hell would you naturalize a !@#$ing feral spirit?
Edited by Kelmort on 3/25/2014 12:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
03/25/2014 03:33 AMPosted by Kelmort
On turn 3?

It's Turn 4 now.

His opponent played Coin + Unbound Elemental on Turn 2 and Feral Spirits on Turn 3.

Of course, it really makes you wonder what kind of "bad draw" we are talking about here. Did he really just spent the first three turns doing nothing but Shapeshifting twice? I mean, that's a really tough start against anything. There are obviously many more solutions if he has managed to do something the first three turns.
Reply Quote
If the board was clear then turn 3 Unbound Elemental was the superior play, buffing him with Feral spirit on turn 4 +Lighting boltx1 or turn 4, Unbound #2 + coin then stormforged axe, right?

The reality is that by playing a turn 3 feral spirit, the shaman player is taking a huge chance to outright lose the game in the long run; if you prefer, overload is much more forgiving late game and thus, much more scarier.

I don't believe a druid should be scared of a swarming shaman. We have swipex2 and starfallx1 or x2. We can also immulate the same play via PotWx2 Savage Roarx2 / Imp Master or Violet Teacher. +we have keeper of the groove x2 to disenchant.

What, I think you should be ready for is shaman that play the Windfurry/Rockbitter combo on creatures like fire elemental / argent commander. They can easily burst you from 30hp in two turn, and they will use their removal +spelldmg to keep the board clear until they can drop their huge combo.

Btw, if you are building a deck just to beat shaman, you could bring 2x Owl 2x KotG 2x Spellbreaker and never go wrong. Shaman win condition depend a lot on magic trick

03/25/2014 12:19 PMPosted by Ulyanasaurus

There are obviously many more solutions if he has managed to do something the first three turns.

Exactly! :)
Edited by Kelmort on 3/25/2014 1:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
If the board was clear then turn 3 Unbound Elemental was the superior play, buffing him with Feral spirit on turn 4 +Lighting boltx2 or storm axe or turn 4, Unbound #2 + coin then stormforged axe/feral spirit, right?

The problem is, the Shaman has to make the decision on Turn 2 after the Shapeshift to the face whether to Coin + Unbound Elemental. There was no way to know that the Druid was going to be Shapeshift-and-done on Turn 3. Well, the way I would play it, it would be Coin + Unbound Elemental on Turn 2 anyway. The thing is, that gives you Turn 3 and Turn 4 to play Overload cards. I try to avoid playing Overload cards on Turn 5 unless I absolutely need to.
Edited by Ulyanasaurus on 3/25/2014 1:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Aye. Which make me want to add, Starfall x2 / Starfire x2 is also excellent vs Shaman
Edited by Kelmort on 3/25/2014 1:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There's no such thing as a "bad" draw, just that you don't know what cards to draw.
Reply Quote
On turn 3? Naturalize + Wrath

Feral Spirit come with 2 overload which is a big mempo lost.

To tell you the truth, My shaman is lvl 60, have more than 500 win with them and I don't have feral spirit in my deck because they are too often hard removed.

I guess you need to post your druid deck to see where is the problem; you probably didnot start with the right cards in hand.

Other idea for countering / Claw + Heropower / Raging Worgen (if on the board before feral), Kobold + heropower and next turn swipe. Innervate + 5 mana taunt. (coin + anything with 5hp) Or if you have kobold on the board already / Innervate + Starfall. (turn 4) Wild pyro + coin + mark of the wild which leave him with 2 2/1 where your pyro is 3/4 taunt.

The worst that can happen is if you don't kill at least one of the wolf and next turn he drop a flametongue totem. But if you didnot react, it's clearly your deck fault, not the class.

Btw; Savage Roar + Power of the wild > Bloodlust. It's part of the reason why I now play Druid. Beside a good ramp druid can take down any shaman any day!

Is there even such thing as a hard removal for Feral on turn 4? Double Wrath/Frostbolt/ 3 damage spell? You just got yourself a 2 for 1 on turn 4. And if you manage to get a flametongue the next turn your opponent is going to be having a rough day
Reply Quote
On a clear board, in the previous situation, the best would have been to ping the unbound on turn 3 (or claw + hero power), swipe the now buffed unbound on turn 4. And deal with the 2/2 wolf on turn 5.
Edited by Kelmort on 3/27/2014 3:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Coin + Unbound followed by Feral Spirit is a super solid opening and one that Shaman's who run those cards hope for (just like many Druid's hope for Innervate + whatever useful card early on).

I agree with the ping on the Unbound on turn 3. On turn 4, Swipe the Unbound or Yeti or Wrath one of the Spirit Wolves or ping a Spirit Wolf. On turn 5, any of the above or Druid of the Claw or ping the other Spirit Wolf. On turn 6, Starfall option.

Like I said, it's a tough combo to deal with that early, but, like any combo, it requires them to be lucky, so you just have to hope you get lucky and get the cards to minimize the damage.
Reply Quote
If he had played a 2/1 on turn 1, then abusive sergeant on turn 2. We would not be talking about this :)
Edited by Kelmort on 3/27/2014 11:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I still say Turn 4 Pyro, Innie, Swipe on the elemental. That leaves the Shaman with no elemental, no doggie, and yes Overload.

;)
Reply Quote
Late game Kobold geomancer plus Starfall is very efficient to wipe out anything that shaman might have accumulated.
Reply Quote
Innervate + Kodo <3
Reply Quote
03/24/2014 10:44 PMPosted by GhostMarine
It feels terrible having to waste 2 wrath on 2 tokens and these are devastating when played early in the game

Hey man sorry for this late reply, but by any chance did you do any damage to the shaman himself?
Edited by Beruinc on 3/30/2014 2:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I don't have feral spirit in my deck because they are too often hard removed.

That's not right. If you play one card, and you get TWO creatures, both of which are taken out with removal cards, you're winning.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]