Starving Buzzard is still too combo-oriented

Starving Buzzard's combo with unleash the hounds situationally offers too large of a swing in game position for its mana cost, while also being extremely weak in other situations.

I believe the best change would be to give the buzzard competitive stats for its mana cost (2/1 is weak), and change its effect to "Draw a card for the first beast you play each turn". This effect would still be very powerful, the buzzard would be more likely to survive more than one turn, and could put up a bit of a fight on its own. It also stops the 4+ card draw combos that are just too impactful. This also evens out the buzzard's chance to survive vs classes that have 1-damage hero powers and those that don't.

If the mana cost is left at 2, I would probably make the buzzard a 2/2. If the cost were changed to 3, then 3/2 is probably most appropriate, with 2/3 also being an option. This would make the buzzard somewhat similar to a Warsong Commander for its cost (although direct card comparisons across classes aren't always useful).

Buzzard is what I like to refer to as a "high variance" card, and the extreme lows and highs in its effectiveness should be reigned in (even though they want to avoid card changes now that the game is out of beta). Maybe this is a change that would wait for a new card expansion, but it should at least be considered then.
Edited by Grum on 3/24/2014 3:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
No
Reply Quote
Yes it's combo oriented, so what? Being combo oriented doesn't make it bad nor in need of changing. Combo has always been a part of TCGs, Hearthstone being no different than any other TCG out there. So why do you propose to change it and why do you hate combos so much?
Reply Quote
2/2 for 2 your idea on once per turn card draw but take away beast specfic make it creature make hunters a little less beast dependant is a fair trade off also they should look to add more card draw mechanics to hunter
Reply Quote
a 2/3 isn't gonna survive for very long either
take the priests clerics for example 1/3, everybody goes for these first
even with the priests healing it usually doesn't survive for more than a turn, maybe 2

starving buzzard should be played in the same turn as the beasts that draw the cards
it's the whole point of the card IMO.

you say high variance like it's a bad thing.
I would call it a highly dynamic card
its use depending on a lot of factors influenced by both players

if every card in the game was all about absolute value and nothing more the game would be very boring.
Reply Quote
Just make it 4/4 for 5 mana like Auctioneer and most of the complaints will stop.
Reply Quote
03/30/2014 11:47 AMPosted by drfuzzy
they should look to add more card draw mechanics to hunter

Pretty much This!!

All the whining about the Buzzard + UtH combo is because it gives so many of cards if your opponent over extended his board, but if he was smart enough and didn't do it, the Hunter can get 2 cards at most from the buzzard before it dies.

Seriously, no other way to draw cards, unless you play neutrals. Unlike other classes who have so many minions/spells that draws them cards and even deal some damage.

Yes Buzzard + UtH gives cards and some think that this might be OP, but the thing is...
1- If you're playing against a smart opponent you'll get the maximum of 2 cards out of it, so 2 for 2 is kinda a fair trade, for the mana cost and the beasts with charge.
2- If the buzzard dies (and it will), you won't be able to draw anymore cards, aside from the normal 1 card per turn.
3- Remember, 2 cards are required to draw cards unlike other classes that costs them 1 card to draw one or more, so yeah, if your buzzard is at the bottom of your deck even if you have UtH and other beasts, gg.

My suggestion: just remove the buzzard already or change it's effect. And add/tweak other minions/spells to draw cards, instead of depending on a synergy that requires luck more than anything else.

I know this might not happen but wth.

P.S.: I main Hunter, and the main reason that I don't use Buzzard + UtH is simple, one draw mechanic, it's situational, it depends on beasts synergy. Instead, I use neutrals for draw mechanic.
Edited by Gravitits on 4/1/2014 2:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If it would shut people up, I would be SO down to changing Buzzard to only proc off creature CASTS, not summons.

Anything to get back to the usual "Mage OP" crap I'm used to. Hunters finally get a deck comp that can win over half its games and people lose their minds...
Reply Quote
I agree with your analysis, it always gets killed that turn after it gets played. Which isn't a problem when you do a massive hound strike or a low hand board fill (where you have almost no cards in hand, play this, and them draw and play beast after beast until victor).

I don't know about the solution though. Comboing is fun...
Reply Quote
Giving it 2 health does virtually nothing in terms of increasing survivability.
I wouldn't mind if the buzzard was changed to cost more mana but have better stats.

I'd be happy if they changed it to 4 mana but increased the stats to a 3/5.
Even making it a 1/4 at 3 mana would be fine.

Reducing the draw power though I disagree with. Other classes all have draw mechanics which are equal or in some cases even better.
Reply Quote
Broken !@# combo every single game I play vs hunter I'll finish the game with 15 or 16 cards left in my deck and they'll be down to 2 or 3.
Reply Quote
The problem with Buzzard + UTH is its a easy combo. This is not paladins drawing for cards in other players hand or priest with north shire and circle of healing but must have many damaged minions. Its a very easy combo and having 2+ minions for 5mp Buzzard + UTH + timber wolf for card refund +1 card and probably kill 1-2 minions with dogs. That puts you ahead on cards and potentially clear the board.

Hunters do have draws already. Dont forget flare which Im seeing lots of and tracking in most of their decks. These are both effective at deck thinning.
Reply Quote
04/09/2014 07:06 PMPosted by CombatMist
The problem with Buzzard + UTH is its a easy combo. This is not paladins drawing for cards in other players hand or priest with north shire and circle of healing but must have many damaged minions. Its a very easy combo and having 2+ minions for 5mp Buzzard + UTH + timber wolf for card refund +1 card and probably kill 1-2 minions with dogs. That puts you ahead on cards and potentially clear the board.

Hunters do have draws already. Dont forget flare which Im seeing lots of and tracking in most of their decks. These are both effective at deck thinning.

Firstly this is not an "easy" combo as it requires your opponent to have the right board for you to pull it off. Secondly again you guys fail at taking the entire class into the context of specific class cards. Compare the quality of cards a Hunter draws compared to the quality of cards a Paladin, Druid, etc draws and suddenly you'll realize that even drawing 4-5 Hunter cards isn't very good as by the time you actually draw them(turn 4 at the earliest, usually turns 5-8) most of the cards in the aggro Hunter's deck become obsolete or irrelevant. Heck, I'd much rather draw 2 cards and get a 5/5 on the board as a Druid playing Ancient of Lore than I am even drawing 6 cards from Buzzard+UTH as a Hunter. Why? Because the 2 cards the Druid will draw have a significantly higher probability of being relevant if not game ending while the 6 cards the Hunter will draw have a significantly higher probability of being irrelevant by the time you draw them, and anyway far from being game ending.

Also, before you guys start, if you happen to win thanks to the doggies themselves than:
1. Your opponent made a huge mistake along the way to get in such a bad situation, or he was just terribly unlucky with RNG the entire match(which doesn't happen nearly as often as people claim).
2. The card drawing from Buzzard was irrelevant as you didn't even use the cards you drew from it to win.

So, considering that this thread whines about the Buzzard's card drawing capabilities, I think I've covered everything.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]