Finally hit the wall. GG WP.

So I have been playing ranked with control warrior exclusively. Many people say to have any success with this deck you need 6+ legendary in the deck. I set out to prove this wrong and I think I did pretty good. I got to 4 stars rank 6 and I just had to play 2x control pally and 2x control warrior. I was doing very well against all four decks until I hit turn 6 and they play cairne (all 4 did this.) This card is value town vs control warrior. We don't have a good way to silence anything and nothing we have outright kills a minion. So cairne will always be a 2 for 1 but is normally a 3-4 for 1. Next turn against BOTH pallies is Guardian of kings. Wrecks all the work I did and I have to play even more removal. Both warriors turn 7 weren't special,just them going for board control (one did play sylvanas). Turn 8 against all 4 was rag. At this point I am pretty much completely spent. After i kill rags all of my armor is gone and im in mid 20 hp and im down to 1-3 cards. turn 9 was 3x alex and 1x ysera. I am spent. Nothing left in the tank. I get lucky against the warrior who played alex and drops me to 15 and drop ysera praying. Next turn gromm+task combo i am dead. Against the others I concede there is nothing for me to draw that will make me win.

In no way am i complaining that after rank whatever it is ONLY pay to win. Mage, shaman, lock, and a few others can go past much easier because they aren't control decks and get GREAT class removal. I just don't think playing control warrior can get me much farther than this. For completely free and how many legend spammers I ran over I am VERY happy. Rank 5 was my goal but I fell a bit short. I am going to spend my time for a bit playing for fun decks in casuals. Till this season resets. BTW can someone remind me when it resets? They should add something that reminds me every time i leave a game.

Final deck list:

2x Execute
2x Whirlwind
2x Fiery War Axe
2x Slam
2x Acidic Slime
2x Armorsmith
2x Cruel Taskmaster
2x Shield Block
2x Acolyte of Pain
2x Frothing Berserker
2x Arathi Weaponsmith
2x Kor'Kron Elite
1x Brawl (never once saw it vs rush decks)
2x Azure Drake (The secret game winning tech over and over!)
1x Gorehowl (Or as I like to call it,"The more expensive fireball to the face I win" card.)
1x RNGaros (Or the yes I know he is at 4 hp, but this 1/1 looks delicious! Demon)
1x Ysera (The mayor of Value Town.)

Current stats as of this post:

763 wins
131 arena wins (Molten Key 12 wins)
Level 60 warrior
Money Spent - 0$
Reply Quote
Well done man. I'm sure if you kept playing that at some point you would hit the small statistical chance that you get just the right winnable matches to make rank 5 :D
Reply Quote
It is important to adjust your deck according to what you face. So when you're constantly up against things you want want to silence, you just have to sacrifice something to add silence. Considering the dominance of legendaries at those levels, you may also want to consider Big Game Hunter. Don't give up if you really want to get there, not without trying to adapt. If nothing else, Murphy's Law will take effect and you'll run into nothing but murlocs. :)
Reply Quote
03/26/2014 09:36 PMPosted by Vorochi
It is important to adjust your deck according to what you face. So when you're constantly up against things you want want to silence, you just have to sacrifice something to add silence. Considering the dominance of legendaries at those levels, you may also want to consider Big Game Hunter. Don't give up if you really want to get there, not without trying to adapt. If nothing else, Murphy's Law will take effect and you'll run into nothing but murlocs. :)

Don't have big game hunter. And unfortunately silencing alex, rag, and even gromm for that matter doesnt do much. I am 20 dust from getting shield slam which is something I DESPERATELY needed. I normally have 10+ armor so this is removal I needed badly. I am going to continue my climb once I get it later today.
Reply Quote
You played against 2 control Paladins? I thought they all died out with aggro warrior.

I'm not sure how many control warriors run Korkron elites, (I don't) if you are really worried about Cairne you can always substitute them out for spellbreakers if you are seeing alot of control, although I think that's unlikely given I am around the same rank as you and all I see are Hunters and Warlocks.
Edited by SleepyFoX on 3/27/2014 5:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
8hp and arcanite reaper trade for cairne
Reply Quote
Until Cairne phases out, every deck should run an Ironbeak Owl, no exceptions.
Control Paladin is a bad match-up though and thank god for that, easy positive win-rate in mid-to-high Legendary.
Honestly even an incomplete/semi-budget Control Warrior can carry you to the 400s in Legendary, you'll just hit a complete wall as you face fully tricked out Control Decks which will make you lose even your good match-ups (Not Hunter though, can't lose that !@#$ if you play blindfolded). Breaking the low singles just takes grinding or luck. See: Trump playing his %^-*ty value Mage for !@#$ knows how many games at the end, or Reynad taking aggro warrior to legend in 5 days.
Reply Quote
03/27/2014 03:14 PMPosted by VSarius
Until Cairne phases out, every deck should run an Ironbeak Owl, no exceptions.
Control Paladin is a bad match-up though and thank god for that, easy positive win-rate in mid-to-high Legendary.
Honestly even an incomplete/semi-budget Control Warrior can carry you to the 400s in Legendary, you'll just hit a complete wall as you face fully tricked out Control Decks which will make you lose even your good match-ups (Not Hunter though, can't lose that !@#$ if you play blindfolded). Breaking the low singles just takes grinding or luck. See: Trump playing his %^-*ty value Mage for !@#$ knows how many games at the end, or Reynad taking aggro warrior to legend in 5 days.

I know it is possible by just grinding the numbers. But that is what I have been running into, tricked out control. Mage at least has fireball finishers to the face to get around taunts and polymorph to get rid of things like sylvanas and cairne. Owl is something I am considering at the moment over my KorKrons, even though those things are basically my slightly less good fireballs (for those wondering why I am using them.) I dropped one ooze for shield slam and I know shield slam will help. I am going to continue my climb today and see how it goes.

Edit: Just RoflStomped another warrior control rocking the full sweep of legends. Gorehowl basically saved my bacon by killing Cairne/Bairne, sylvanas, a taskmaster, then 4 to his face to help secure lethal.
Edited by TheDukeOfTBC on 3/27/2014 6:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I love bringing Upgrade in my decks for precisely that reason. Gorehowl to the face!
Reply Quote
03/27/2014 09:01 PMPosted by Vorochi
I love bringing Upgrade in my decks for precisely that reason. Gorehowl to the face!

I would remove it for something way more proactive. As much as I love upgrade on paper, it is a wasted slot for something more useless like a minion or removal.
Reply Quote
Just broke into rank 5 on a winning streak! 2 star Rank 5 right now. Shield slam has been a HUGE help in multiple games. Azure drake and korkron (not supposed to be in warrior control) continue to steal games!
Reply Quote
03/27/2014 09:40 PMPosted by TheDukeOfTBC
03/27/2014 09:01 PMPosted by Vorochi

I would remove it for something way more proactive. As much as I love upgrade on paper, it is a wasted slot for something more useless like a minion or removal.

I actually think Control Warrior should run it. 8 damage Gorehowl with 2 face swings is a HUGE step-up from 7 damage removal+1 face swing. You could argue for Greenskin, but not being able to play Gorehowl+Greenskin in one turn kind of nerfs that aspect.

03/27/2014 06:30 PMPosted by TheDukeOfTBC

I know it is possible by just grinding the numbers. But that is what I have been running into, tricked out control. Mage at least has fireball finishers to the face to get around taunts and polymorph to get rid of things like sylvanas and cairne. Owl is something I am considering at the moment over my KorKrons, even though those things are basically my slightly less good fireballs (for those wondering why I am using them.) I dropped one ooze for shield slam and I know shield slam will help. I am going to continue my climb today and see how it goes.

Edit: Just RoflStomped another warrior control rocking the full sweep of legends. Gorehowl basically saved my bacon by killing Cairne/Bairne, sylvanas, a taskmaster, then 4 to his face to help secure lethal.

I'd probably drop the Arathi Weaponsmiths instead. Put in 1x Ironbeak for Cairne/Ysera and another Shield slam, then drop the other ooze for a BGH. If you run into a !@#$ton of Warriors when laddering, just switch 1 Kor'Kron for an ooze. I'd also swap 1x Azure for a Faceless Manipulator, the best way to deal with lacking Legendaries is to throw in more Faceless' and BGH into your deck.
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 05:14 AMPosted by VSarius
03/27/2014 09:40 PMPosted by TheDukeOfTBC

I actually think Control Warrior should run it. 8 damage Gorehowl with 2 face swings is a HUGE step-up from 7 damage removal+1 face swing. You could argue for Greenskin, but not being able to play Gorehowl+Greenskin in one turn kind of nerfs that aspect.

03/27/2014 06:30 PMPosted by TheDukeOfTBC

I'd probably drop the Arathi Weaponsmiths instead. Put in 1x Ironbeak for Cairne/Ysera and another Shield slam, then drop the other ooze for a BGH. If you run into a !@#$ton of Warriors when laddering, just switch 1 Kor'Kron for an ooze. I'd also swap 1x Azure for a Faceless Manipulator, the best way to deal with lacking Legendaries is to throw in more Faceless' and BGH into your deck.

Don't own faceless and I am on zero dust after getting shield slam. Remember, I have spent zero money on this game and I am ladder climbing on a budget. I am still running 1x ooze which is more than carrying its weight. I am very happy with the build currently. Beat mage, 2x tricked out control warrior and 2x shammies with all the bells and whistles to get into rank 5.
Reply Quote
Apparently rank 5 = droods. 50/50 on them. lost one game because in 16 cards i saw no braawl, no execute, no shield slam, no slam, no ww, no gorehowl. and he started with turn 2 yeti into turn 3 yeti >_>
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 08:57 AMPosted by TheDukeOfTBC
Apparently rank 5 = droods. 50/50 on them. lost one game because in 16 cards i saw no braawl, no execute, no shield slam, no slam, no ww, no gorehowl. and he started with turn 2 yeti into turn 3 yeti >_>

Hah, I wish I got more droods. All I face for the last !@#$%^- WEEK is handlocks and rush hunters. Pretty much nothing else. Any other class is very welcome, too bad they all hide somewhere.
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 05:33 AMPosted by TheDukeOfTBC

Don't own faceless and I am on zero dust after getting shield slam. Remember, I have spent zero money on this game and I am ladder climbing on a budget. I am still running 1x ooze which is more than carrying its weight. I am very happy with the build currently. Beat mage, 2x tricked out control warrior and 2x shammies with all the bells and whistles to get into rank 5.

That's understandable, I'm just saying that would improve the deck for sure.
Reply Quote
03/28/2014 05:56 PMPosted by VSarius

Ysera has actually never been a problem for me surprisingly. I am considering dumping my mvp drakes for arcanite reapers though. They will help e clear yetis and should help me kill cairnes and sylvanas without losing so much advantage. I need a 2x shield slam (need dust.) And if I had the dust I would run 1 faceless as well.
Reply Quote
03/29/2014 02:55 AMPosted by TheDukeOfTBC

Ysera has actually never been a problem for me surprisingly. I am considering dumping my mvp drakes for arcanite reapers though. They will help e clear yetis and should help me kill cairnes and sylvanas without losing so much advantage. I need a 2x shield slam (need dust.) And if I had the dust I would run 1 faceless as well.

She usually isn't, but there are times when the Owl can really save your bacon. I mean 99% of the time he's used on a 6-drop Legendary since they are so weak to silence, I just feel like Owl should be in every deck for the utility. Arcanites are a solid option, the one problem is they make your turn 6 (assuming you are going second as a worse case) very reactive, so like say if the option is to drop Owl+4 mana worth of other stuff, or equip Arcanite, swing at Cairne, and swing on Cairne Jr. next turn, I'd rather go for the Owl. If you drop even 3 damage worth of stuff, you put him in a really awkward position. Or you just equip Gorehowl on 7 and kill him, the end result is still 8 damage done to you, but his tempo was hurt from playing a Yeti on 6 and you had 4 mana worth of stuff on 6.

The best play is obviously turn 6 you Faceless-coin-Owl and just completely demolish them. In fact if I can identify a Control vs. Control match-up and I'm player 2, I'll often save coin till 5-6 and either coining out my six on 5 (Pretty much only if I'm Warrior vs. Paladin assuming I have both choices, I feel you need to really put on the pressure come lategame or they can and will snowball you out of the game) or holding to do a 7-mana swing play on 6 to deal with their 6, and if they don't play one, I play my 6 or Geddon.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]